“Absolutely the Best!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Redwood City, California
“Absolutely the Best!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

My seven year old son and I came to town from California from August 11th to the 20th. I grew up in Sandusky and remember the Maples Motel from back to when I was seven years old (many years ago). We were there to visit my family and also have a great vacation. Staying at the Maples Motel made it the BEST!

The grounds are amazing, the rooms are clean and just fine, and the pool is fabulous. I have read most of the reviews here and totally agree with all the positive things that people say. Not only that, we made friends with so many great people who were staying there.

I cannot say enough great things about Joan, Steve and all the motel employees!

As for the trains, bring them on! Both my son and I are train lovers. We enjoyed counting the freight cars on a given train, our top number was 166.

If you are used to paying hundreds of dollars a night in a hotel that is newer on asphalt next to car dealerships, bars gas stations, etc., then have at it. If you really want a wonderful place to stay with great ambiance, the Maples should be your choice.

Like I said "Absolutely the Best!!!!"

Jim

3 Thank JimOpfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I was saddened by the review from 2 teenagers ,who I'm sure were disappointed because there was no Xbox or basketball court . Joan and her son Steve went out of their way to ensure we had a good visit . We were arriving by train around 5 AM in Sandusky and the rental car place didn't open till 9 AM . They hid a key for us so we could get into our room WAY early , so we could sleep till the rental place opened ! Yes , the room was old and plain , but it was comfortable and clean . We stayed in 2 rooms on 2 different nights ,and both were fine ( our son joined us so we needed a bigger room ) As to the train sounds at night - I am the worlds lightest sleeper , and I slept FINE . My secret ? The world's greatest ear plugs Mack's silicone ear pillows , available at Walgreens and CVS .They run about 6 dollars for 12 ,which is 6 pairs . These are better than foam ,as they stick securely in your ears . They had fresh local peaches ,donuts and coffee . Sure ,they could have milk for kids ,but they don't pretend to feed you breakfast ! Just a snack . For breakfast ,we recommend the Country Diner ,about 5 minutes up the road . Make a LEFT out of the parking lot . Absolutely yummy ! Very reasonable prices too . We will definitely go back to the Maples Motel !

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annelyse C
Walled Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I am guest from Michigan that has been staying at the Maples for over a decade. I was inspired to write this note after my 5th stay this summer there. The pure simplicity of a stay in one their cabin rooms during a brilliant thunderstorm, watching the fireflies gather after the storm while having my children try to catch them. This may be your type of place if reading while on a hammock, listening to the passing trains, the crickets and children giggling while playing tag instead of playing video games is up your alley.

A throwback to when motels were run by the families whom have owned them for generations. When the person that greets you, had spent their childhood there, a real sense of ownership and responsibility. The rooms are period correct with the exception they have cable television in the room. Aside from that, I am reminded of the trips I took with my parents in my youth and love the wholesome environment.

My children love running to the office in the mornings to catch the batch of "Jolly Donuts" and hear the stories about how the recipe got changed back to the one from the 50s. Listening to the stories from the families that have been coming for much longer than us.

If want a Hilton, go to a Hilton, if you want an experience, go to the Maples. These types of places are disappearing quickly due to the chain motels.

Jameson MacBeth
Walled Lake, Michigan

3 Thank JamesonMacBeth
Lansing Mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is the nicest motel in Sandusky. Personable owners, excellent service, clean rooms, awesome pool, and close to everything.

Comfortable chairs in the room, new bedspreads, draperies and NICE NEW CARPET! Beds were very comfortable and VERY CLEAN.

We have stayed at CP resorts but don't get the same level of friendliness or "feeling welcome" like we do at Maples. Joan and Steve really make you feel at home with them and are there to assist you if you have any questions about the area. It is nice to have fresh fruit, granola bars and donuts available for FREE (where at Breakers Express, you pay extra for!).

We look forward to staying with you again,

Thanks for EVERYTHING!
BC, MC, JrC, LC

2 Thank cedarpointchic
Anderson, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

This was the WORST motel I've ever even seen. Firstly, we paid 100$ for 2 bedrooms for 1 night. The rooms were dirty, the furniture was tarnished and broken. We had a queen size bed and 2 cots for 4 people, one of the cots was completely broken, and the other one was a blanket on metal sprigs. There were bugs constantly getting in our rooms. The tv was at least 40 years old and had no component jacks, so leave your xbox at home. They tell you there is train tracks across the street but they don't tell you it passes by 17 times in the night. They advertise hammocks and a basketball court but you will be sorely mistaken. There "basketball" court is a basketball goal mounted on a garage, and there hammock is torn. There continental breakfast is a box of donuts and a jug of oj, for everybody at the motel. At outrageous rates and awful rooms save your trip and sleep in your car.

1 Thank bleh29311
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

This was my families 4th stay at the Maples. I love everything about this Motel. The room, the property, the pool and the owners. I am really surprised when I read a negative review of this place - I guess some people are really just picky. This is not Hotel Breakers(which overcharges greatly). This is a 1950's mom and pop motel. It reminds me of the motels that my family stayed at when I was young and traveled "up north" in Michigan. You park right in front of your room - no elevators or stairs needed. Yes - there are train tracks, but honestly they do not bother us in the least. This year we were pleasantly surprised to see that they added a second TV to the family room that we always stay in. This was an added bonus for sure. My daughter loves the pool - it is so nice to come back from Cedar Point mid day and take a nice cool swim. I hope that this place will remain here for years to come - I would never think of staying anywhere else. The family that runs the place have done so for years, they are there to make sure you have a wonderful stay. Thank you Joan and family for another great stay - we will be back next year!!

Boston, Ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have no idea how this place has made it to #2 in Sandusky hotels. We were very disappointed. The people were super nice, and the place definitely has the whole 60's road trip feel going for it. But, it is literally across the street from the train tracks, there is a level crossing right there so every train blows the horn, and trains come a couple of a times per hour all day and all night. The first night we were in a room with no AC and spent a miserable night listening to the trains. The second night, we got a two room "room" and stayed in the back with the door closed and the AC on -- hardly heard the trains. An additional huge issue for us was that both rooms were incredibly musty -- visible mold and water damage on walls and ceilings, old musty curtains, bedspreads and carpets. This drove my son's allergies crazy.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family