“Aspires to be a Fairfield Inn - but doesn't make it”

Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed at this property for 5 days in November 2011. It's called a Courtyard (and priced like a Courtyard) but you get a Fairfield Inn experience. The property is a little older but in generally good repair. Room finish is on par with a Fairfield inn - which is to say, basic. They don't have the improved Marriott beds - just mattress toppers like Fairfield. They have 32" flat panel TVs with Pay Per View (not used). They have a table for a desk with wired Internet and a chair whose seat leans forward and doesn't appear to be adjustable. Their Internet service worked well during my stay with no slow downs and with better than average (for a hotel) service. Rooms are a little on the smaller side and lack a microwave and bar fridge that Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inns (all Marriott brands) provide.

They have a breakfast buffet for an additional $10/day. Their buffet is not as good as Fairfield Inns give away for free (fewer choices).

The hotel is close to I90 (set back about a block) and still gets substantial road noise from the Interstate. If you can, get a room on the rear of the property in the x02-x12 range (i.e.: 102-112, 202-212, 302-312) range. They face away from the Interstate and avoid the east side of the property where the HVAC stacks will serenade you as you try to sleep.

The only reasons I can think of for staying here are:

- you got a *really* good deal on the room fee
- it's important for you to be local
- you need the Marriott points (as the Hilton Garden Inn, 5 mi away is *much better*)

Room Tip: The hotel is close to I90 (set back about a block) and still gets substantial road noise from the In...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lkaToronto

Reviewed 17 October 2011

This experience was Horrible. My fiance and I reserved a block of rooms for our wedding on Oct. 1 2011. Me and a few of my groomsmen stayed the night before and when my best man called to change to his room for the next day that he had already reserved he was told that the room was no longer available. When half of my guests tried to check in to their rooms (that they had already booked in the room block three months prior to our wedding day) on the day of the wedding at 1pm they were told they could not check in and had to wait till 3, which is normal. But at 3pm when they went back they were told they had no more rooms available and they could either go to the MOTEL 6 across the street, or choose a room in beachwood which is 15 minutes away. Now how would they get to the beachwood hotel and back to thier cars? When I spoke to the night clerk about this she said thats just our policy. I asked how they pick who gets shuffled around I was offered no answer. I called the manager when I got back from the honeymoon and he offered me the same answer. It's just our policy and that they always overbook and hope for cancellations. How come no one was advised at 1pm that no rooms were available? Why did my guests get sent to a sub par motel after they had already reserved rooms. This hotel is terrible and I would never stay at a Courtyard Marriott if they paid me to do so. I have never been treated with so much disrespect and imagine my guests feelings and how embarassing this was to us. You people should be ashamed of yourselves! Thanks for doing all of this on our wedding day. Im guessing this wont get posted since it is a negative review but as long as someone reads it i guess this is worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I am very disappointed in this Courtyard. The location is in an industrial park like setting. There's no good places to eat nearby - only fast food or Bob Evans and Cracker Barrell. Plus, this Courtyard looks like it hasn't been updated in 5+ years.

On the positive side, the staff is very nice.

My review will be measuring this Courtyard against other Courtyards. I have an expectation when I stay at a Marriott property and this one fell below my expectations.

• Stayed: September 2011
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear ImJohnHime,

First, I want to thank you for your candid review, as it gives us an opportunity to find areas that we can address to improve our customers experience. I see you had concerns regarding the property looking outdated and places to dine. I am happy to report that we are beginning our renovations this winter to offer the best of the Courtyard experience. We also offer a list of 20+ restaurants within 5 minutes of our locations. Again, thank you for your review.

Chris Cornett, General Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for a few nights while we were in town for a wedding. We stay in Courtyards a lot, and compared to what we are used to, we were a bit disappointed with this particular Courtyard.

It was clean, which is most important to me. However, the humidity in our room was almost unbearable. The first night we got into our rather late, but my husband called the front desk so they could have someone check the AC unit the next day. Much to our surprise, they sent someone up immediately. Too bad he had no clue what he was doing. He told us he hadn't seen a unit like the one in our room before and didn't know where the buttons he needed were. From there, he just seemed to make things up. While the air coming from the unit did feel cool, it was doing nothing for the humidity. I honestly think the humidity was lower outside! We almost just slept in the hallway, because it was decent out there.

We asked for it to be looked at the following day, but we don't know if anyone came by or not. The room didn't feel any different the second night.

Besides the humidity problem in our room, there was nothing to really complain about. Like I mentioned earlier, it wasn't the best looking or most fancy Courtyard we have stayed in, but it was clean and the staff seemed nice enough.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 9 July 2011

This is an ok hotel - nothing special about it. It was clean and in an area with lots of restaurants and close to interstate. It is showing it's age and could really use a renovation. The staff could also use some coaching on guest service. No one said hello when I walked in or the usual have a nice day greetings you expect.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 10 June 2011

A friend of mine and I were heading home from an extended stay in the southwest; this was to be our last night on the road. We arrived after dark and left by 9am so it was a quick stay, but no complaints with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable. I can recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I was very happy with my stay at the Courtyard Willoughby. The front desk welcome was warm and sincere with my room preferences noted and expressed. The room was good, the bed was extremely comfortable, and it was very clean. Most of all, the hotel was ideal to get a good nights sleep (it was quiet!).

Other than a wacky A/C unit, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TechMarauder
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation TechMaurader! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and are glad to know you had a good experience and a good night’s sleep.

Yours truly,

Chris Cornett, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willoughby
6.3 km away
10.5 km away
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
3.4 km away
Stonehill Hotel & Suites Cleveland- Eastlake

Been to Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!