“Just Average”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Brady
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I came for our anniversary with high expectations based on a friends suggestion. We've eaten at their other restaurant "the bull in the alley" and really enjoyed it. We started with the cheese plate. It had 3 cheeses, some mustard seed spread and apricot preserves served with dry toast. 2 of the three cheeses were fantastic and the third quite bland. The toast overpowered them all. Recommend a thin cracker instead. The mustard spread was very bland.

We ordered the steak frites, and the steak was properly cooked to medium rare with herbed butter. I found it good, but not exceptional and somewhat pricey given that it was served with frozen fries and ketchup ($36).

We finished with the hazelnut torte. It was decent, but clearly not made in house as was slightly frozen.

Overall it was just okay, probably not something we'd do again for a special occasion.

lindseyroe4, General Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

We're so sorry you had a sub par meal at The Tavern. With our large staff of highly trained chefs we strive to serve amazing food every time! It's very disappointing to hear you weren't blown away. I'd love to invite you to a complimentary Chef's Table experience in our kitchen with a tour so you can see how much love and care goes into each dish (and our non-existent freezer space). Please e-mail lindsey@taverntulsa.com.

There are newer reviews for The Tavern

Reviewed 24 May 2017

We had a great service--he got us in and out quickly. The steak was cooked perfectly and I loved the fries! They were called fritos or something similar, and were like fried shoestring fries with salt. They were probably the best fries I've ever had! The only thing we did not love is that the menu was quite limited. It may have been because we went at an off time--it was 3pm when we stopped for lunch--but I felt they did not have much variety for food offerings.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

The mac and cheese and popcorn are so good! The burger is very tasty and the overall vibe is fun. Great food and scene!

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Lots of charm for an older building! Within walking distance of the Fairfield Inn. Cozy atmosphere, great food and staff. Try their world-famous burger. Great, active arts and music venue neighborhood. We'll be back!

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Although this restaurant was recommended, my friends and I would not hurry to return there. The prices were high and the food was disappointing. Our server, Brett, had an attitude, which also cast a shadow on the experience. I told Brett that I have celiac disease and asked questions about the menu; he wasn't knowledgeable of some of the menu items and offered no suggestions. My friend asked about a missing item that was supposed to be included with her salad, and Brett just shrugged and did not offer to find out about it. There was a sauce on the meat that wasn't good at all. All in all, a disappointing dinner and mediocre service that did not measure up to expectations.

lindseyroe4, General Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

We're so sorry your experience was anything less than stellar! There is no excuse for subpar and unfriendly service and we have addressed these issues. We have a wide variety of gluten free menu options and we'd love to host you back to dinner from us so you can experience how amazing our food and service can be! Please contact Lindsey@taverntulsa.com with your details.

Been to The Tavern? Share your experiences!