“Things have changed”

WestSide Bakery & Cafe
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Best place for Breakfast and Lunch!!This Highly recommended Cafe & Bakery has been voted Bend's Best Breakfast & Lunch! We guarantee that you will never leave hungry! Our scrumptious biscuits and gravy or the always satisfying hobo scramble are very popular with our customers. We have an experienced and friendly staff, our menu is extensive and the pastry is superb!! Come in to our cafe for full service breakfast or lunch and see what all the buzz is about!
Reviewed September 2, 2014

This has always been our favorite place for breakfast. We've been enjoying our experience here for years. When we arrived this last time we barely could find a place to park, only a few designated places out front on the street. They had downsized and now their building is split in two and they share it with another establishment. Just walking in the front door the atmosphere seemed to have changed, starting with reception and then having to wait for a cup of their Hazelnut coffee to arrive.Their friendly & speedy service was something they excelled at before. They used to make sure you always had refills & the staff was always attentive, which was lacking considerably this day. Not many people were there that morning, only one server. We usually order their omelets, which have always been mouthwatering & the main reason we come. This time the food was just okay, even toast was cut back and the price had gone up. We had to ask for a coffee refill & even that was a wait. They were in the process of re-modeling the room next door where it appeared there were a few bigger tables and open windows. There was a table of 8 people eating and the noise was distracting. We were saddened by the changes, the ambiance was gone. Hoping it might be just a off day for them. We might be back, but we'll be all the wiser next time.

1  Thank Deepwaterblue13

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Church starts at ten which leaves time for a stop at Bend's westside breakfast spot. Great choices and great results, omelets, scrambles made the way you like them. You have to try some of the pastry, we did the almond bearclaw which just melted.....and church was great after.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

On our annual or more frequent visits to Bend, we have always gone here for breakfast. It used to be absolutely the best in the area. We were disappointedl. We love the Hazelnut coffee, the cinnamon bread and the jam. Since they moved to the smaller quarters, it just isn't the same and, of course, change can sometimes be difficult and may color my review. The person who waited on us, was o.k., just o.k., lacking in customer service skills. We had to request coffee refills. This person just disappeared. The restaurant was not as busy as usual, no line. The pieces of toast have shrunk--my husband's order came with one slice, cut into 2 pcs. I had the 3-egg smoked salmon omelet which was prepared well, but not exceptional. I would probably go back and hope for more friendly service.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Food was amazing. Service great as well. Would definitely recommend eating here. We went for breakfast. I had a scramble with a homemade biscuit. Biscuit was outstanding. My scramble has all fresh veggies and bacon it. Fresh country potatoes as well.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

From the minute we stepped in the door, we were treated rudely. We had just come from a hot yoga class up the street and had our yoga mats with us and were soaking wet.We wanted to sit in the open air window area and told the waitress "We have to sit by the open windows". Clearly, right? She said "You HAVE to to sit by the window?" very sarcastically with emphasis on the H.A.V.E. No lady, I want to subject all your other patrons to my post yoga workout gamey-ness! Anyway, what I did say, was "Yes, we just came from yoga and are all sweaty." She then rolls her eyes and goes to go get some menus, comes back and proceeds to sit us in the interior and not the open air area! I said "No, we need to be in the open air area." Now she gives me this look, accompanied by a heavy sigh and additional eye roll and her body language said she was really put out by this...Now get this: there were at least 4 open tables back there, and two of them were small 4-seaters, so it's not like we are taking up a table for 6. I called her on her attitude and said "Are you angry by my request?" She said "No, I just can't let you sit at these large tables because we have a big lunch crowd... Oh yeah, Monday at 11:00, they were really hoping. We were one of 4 full tables and would have been out before noon.

Anyway, the juevos rancheros were not very good. They were so overladen with tomatoes and onions, and they did not have a good sauce. Just a scant bit of cheese. IHOP makes them better if you can believe that! My husband had the salmon eggs Benedict and said they were good, but not great.

Gladly, the rude waitress that sat us decided not to serve us, so we had another waiter. He was just OK, not a really warm personality either. We said "please" and "thank you" for everything, left a 20% tip, and did not even get a thank you or come again.

NOTE TO THE OWNERS: Whoever you had working on Monday morning July 7th, 2014 needs some serious customer service training. We will not return because of this type of service. If we won't, others won't either. This is how restaurants fail.

2  Thank sjst1