“Be your own plumber” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Alabama
“Be your own plumber”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

My mother and I recently stayed in the Bend Inn and Suites. We were very pleased when we found out the hotel was a Hampton Inn until last year. It still has Hampton Inn beds, furniture, toiletries, etc. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well. The problem was the commode. After using it for the first time I flushed it and instead of going down, the water came up. Luckily it didn't overflow. I called the front desk and after telling them what happened the guy said, "Do you need a plunger?" I told him yes since we wouldn't be able to use the commode otherwise. After 20-25 minutes he finally arrived with the plunger. It had apparently been recently used since the rubber end was in a plastic bag that was wet inside. Instead of coming in and fixing the commode himself, he handed me the plunger and told me when I was finished with it to set it outside the door and call him to come get it. If he'd been the only employee on duty, I would have understood his not plunging the commode for us but there was another guy working the desk that night.

The next morning we arrived at the complimentary continental breakfast 30 minutes before they were due to end the breakfast. There was only one biscuit left and since I knew it wouldn't be enough for both my mother and me I asked the girl working the breakfast area if they had anymore biscuits and she took the plate and went in the back. Then she went across the lobby to another room and brought back a bag of frozen biscuits. Then she came out and said they were cooking more and it would be about 3 minutes. About 5 minutes later another employee said the biscuits would be ready in 3 minutes. About 10 minutes later they brought out warm biscuits. Since the gravy pan was practically empty I asked if they were going to put out more gravy but I was told no since it was almost time for breakfast to be over. After scraping the last of the gravy from the pan and eating my biscuit and gravy they brought out a pan of fresh gravy.

In my opinion, this is a poorly managed hotel. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed July 2009
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

This is truly a Motel 6 converted to a Hampton. The hotel is located between 2 highways so the property is noisy, although I didn't have any problem sleeping. But then that was after travelling all day from Florida! The room was way too small for 2 people and a weeks worth of clothing. There really weren't any amenities on property and the continental breakfast was very weak, room was warm and too crowded. We checked out the next morning and went to Seventh Mountain where we could enjoy a real vacation.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The small sized rooms and teenie bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bend hotels

USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

This Hampton Inn should not be able to use the Hampton Inn name. The room was SMALL and the cleaning staff used something that left a strong, acrid smell in the room that would not air out, even with the door open. Maybe it's a disinfectant or spray of some kind. It left my eyes burning and sinuses inflamed. I considered using the 100% satisfaction guaranteed refund option but just wanted to leave and get some fresh air. I choose Hampton Inns for the fresh quality but this one tricked us. Stay at the Shiloh Inn across the street.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The horrible cleaning product/cleaning spray smell that saturated the room and could not be aired out.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2007

Perfect of Business but below avg. Hampton Inn due to the motel design instead of a hotel design. Rooms are clean, staff friendly and breakfast is great.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — motel design (doors open outside)
  • Stayed March 2007
1 Thank BordaInc
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2006

I booked this hotel for a recent business trip solely on the basis that it was a Hilton family hotel and I am a Hilton Rewards member. The check in was very fast since and the desk clerk was very pleasant and helped us find a decent restaurant to eat dinner.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that all the rooms are exterior rooms. Besides the noisy street outside, my room was cold. I had to turn the heat on and leave it on all night. I am from Alaska and I usually turn the AC on not the heat. But this room was cold. My co-workers made the same observations. Otherwise the room itself was very nice. We all booked a King suite which is slightly larger than a double room just because it has only one bed and a sofa and table instead of a second bed. The room was clean and the bed, although a little hard, was comfortable.

Breakfast was ok but not the best or as good as a Staybridge Suites.

I would return to this hotel if I have to visit Bend again. But I would not want to stay here for more than a few nights. The noise outside is definitely hard to sleep with. I can't imagine what it would have been like if the noise of the heater had drowned it out.

• Liked — Lapdesk and free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Rooms are cold in winter
  • Tips/Secrets — Leave the heat on low when you leave if you are staying here in the winter
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ilee1990
Pacific Grove, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2006

I stayed there for one night on a recent trip. I chose the hotel because I am a HiltonHonors member and was looking for something near the freeway. The room was very basic and seemed comparable to other national budget hotel brands. The noise as mentioned by others was an issue. Although the hotel is near the freeway, it was seemed somewhat out of the way. The options for dinner at a restaurant in the very near vicinity were very limited. The complimentary breakfast was average, and the seating area was a bit crowded.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank Geoggirl
West Linn, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2006

I am a Hilton Diamond HHonors member and I've stayed at this property several times in the past. As I write this review a freight train is passing and blaring its horn. Which pretty much summarizes the experience of staying at this property: there is just too much noise that gets into the rooms.

Making reservations is a snap on the Hampton or Hilton websites. Check-in was fast and handled professionally. At about $90 a night plus taxes I feel that the rate I paid was about at the upper limit for this property.

The rooms at this older property all open directly to the outside on two levels, with parking directly in front of the rooms. Rooms are on the small side but contain everything necessary to make a business stay work: king bed, work desk, free high-speed internet, 25-inch TV with remote (HBO, but no on-demand movies), micro-fridge, and small microwave oven. Carpeting and bedding appear to have been updated and were clean and well kept. The ice machine on my floor did not work.

The real issue at this property is noise from the adjacent bypass and two major feeder streets that intersect in front of the property, together with a nearby mainline train track. My impression is that cars and trucks in Bend, Oregon, are "muffler-optional" given the almost non-stop growling that comes into the room from outside. In fairness, the noise level drops off after 10pm and doesn't pick up until after 6am.

The Hampton is the only Hilton brand property in Central Oregon, so if you're an HHonors member, you don't have much of a choice. However, if you are noise sensitive or simply want a larger room in a newer property, there are many alternatives available from most of the major chains located through out the Bend area (and in nearby Redmond, where the airport is located). In a nutshell, there are, sadly, better options at comparable prices available in this market you should consider before settling for this motel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Better options elsewhere in the Bend/Redmond area of Central Oregon
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Flying_Lawyer