“Best Bistro on the Oregon Coast”
Review of Art Alley Grille

Art Alley Grille
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Brookings
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

They actually have two resturants in this beautiful Art Gallery Bistro. The one upstairs called the Snug, has the best sandwiches and salads. Very heart-healthy. The 'soup', to die for. The one downstairs is more of a dinner house and the food is delicious. Also, they have a Sunday Brunch that is too good to describe. You have to try it and be the judge. The staff are so friendly and will make you feel at home.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Wanted to try something new in Brookings, OR and was searching reviews on Tripadvisor and found many favorable reviews for a restaurant I've never tried called the Art Alley Grille.If you enter off of Chetco Ave (Hwy 101) you are in the upstairs Art Gallery and can take the stairway down to the restaurant...otherwise if you find the alley from one of the side streets (Oak or Willow), you actually do enter from the alley. I met up with an business colleague and we were both very impressed with the ambiance, the service and the food! Included with our T-bone Steaks was a nice little cup of seafood gumbo and a great little baby-greens salad. Our steaks were done just how we ordered them and came with broiled sweet-potato medallions and nice mixed vegetable concoction. We enjoyed our meal with a Blue Moon Belgian White Ale and had a visit from one of the owners Darlene who was so accommodating and nice that my colleague decided he was going to have a business meeting here next month! This place lacks the ocean view but maximizes all the assets they do have! I'll be back for sure.

1  Thank StoneflyBri
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I are staying in a Brookings vacation rental for several weeks, using it as our base for checking out attractions in southern Oregon and northern California. We have made 2 visits to the Art Alley Grille so far and will likely return before our stay here ends. The ambience is warm and inviting, especially coming in from a pouring rain. The food is very well prepared from the best ingredients and there are many choices. We can recommend the halibut, stuffed shrimp, scallops, and rack of lamb selections. Be warned that the portions are very generous and most entrées also come with soup (clam chowder) and a salad, so you may not have room for one of Art Alley's tempting desserts. We noticed many diners took home a box--the next day we had the rack of lamb leftovers for a delicious lunch at our rental.

2  Thank BCJenny
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We followed the reviews to have dinner. The place is charming, artful. We just came in from the beach which took our server a minup
te to wrap around but we all got our menus toot sweet. Our orders were a soups, sales I had tuna app, jack had the Korean beef app. Jason and sophie had pasta dinners. The clam chowder was much better than the award winning chowder we had at lunch. The salad would have been great but the bagged julien carrots were dry and drug down the entire salad. I had to pick them out to enjoy. The Korean beef was perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly right. Seared, crispy, caramerly on the outside, perfectly pink inside. Sophies pasta Raphael was loaded with seafood but slightly underseasoned. The clams were a little ripe. I found her dish a bit pedestrian. Jason had pasta & chicken, capers, wine, cream type sauce. Very nicely done and would be super with prawns. Lu tuna was again perfectly cooked. The marinade was lovely and devoid the cheap trick of sugar to cover a chefs lack of talent. Served with wasabi, I was delighted. Until I found those freakin julien carrots. The chefs are clearly skilled but there were a couple of minor quality issues. I would highly recommend for their skill with meat but would advise the chefs to not let shortcuts cheapin great food and throw away anything that isn't sweet fresh.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

In the spirit of the Basho saying "We don't have art. We do everything as well as we can," one can say that the good quality ingredients are prepared here as well as they can be. The encrusted fresh Halibut was as good as I've ever had it, and the rack of Lamb was, well, also as good as I've ever had it. Side dishes were great, and the bread pudding with whiskey sauce was far and above the best I've ever tasted. It's a bit like dining in an elegant metro area instead of the little beach town of Brookings. Loved it so much I came back for the brunch on Sunday morning. It was very good as well, but if you only go for one meal, make it dinner! The fresh halibut was $24 and the rack of lamb $25, but those are not entree prices. You get soup, salad and side dishes included. The soup was seafood gumbo, and very good, but a little too peppery for me. The salad with homemade blue cheese dressing was wonderful. Service was good, friendly without being space invaders, though it seemed like a bit of a long wait time for the meal, but the quality more than made up for the wait. In a word, GO!