“Daily fare”
Review of Dee-Ann's Tea Room

Dee-Ann's Tea Room
Ranked #26 of 68 Restaurants in Brookings
Cuisines: American
Description: "Collection of over 1400 tea pots, with homemade desserts, soups and sandwiches. Family-owned and operated". All food is prepared fresh daily. Nothing pre-packaged or frozen.
Reviewed April 23, 2016

Dee-Ann's Tea Room is by far the best food in the area. For those reviewers who were not pleased that is not the norm. All foods are prepared daily fresh and homemade recipes. Dee (the manager) and Barbara (the owner) attempt to add a variety of daily lunch specials that everyone will love. Dee makes all the pies, fresh cinnamon buns, fresh sticky buns (Thursdays), and all the tuna, egg and chicken salad. The soups are made daily as is the chili. Barb makes the absolute best hot Mac and cheese and enchilada casseroles. Dee makes the meat loaf and stuffed bell peppers and daily strawberry waffles and strawberry shortcake. Prices as comparable with all the restaurants in town. Some local restaurants may be priced lower but they have a bar to fall back on to pay their bills. Dee-Ann's Tea Room is under new ownership as of November 1, 2015. Check their facebook page for a sample menu.

1  Thank Longuer

Reviewed April 8, 2016

The Tea Room Cafe is like going to your quirky Aunt's house for comfort food and home made pie. I think over a thousand tea pots must line the walls and the story goes that they are the collection of the original owner. Yes, they have a big variety of tea (of course) and a lot of personality. This is the place where the locals go and everyone knows their name. You'll feel like a family member in a living room, not just a customer in a chain restaurant.

1  Thank Erin L
Reviewed April 3, 2016

This is a cozy, homey place with real homemade food. Fresh soups made daily, homemade pies, sandwiches you would make yourself if you had the ingredients. Friendly service. I get the sense that all the customers are regulars and are greeted by name often. Its not a "tea room" per se, but is decorated with many teapots.

Reviewed March 23, 2016 via mobile

I went in for breakfast while in town on vacation and was very disappointed. First the waitress made a tasteless comment about special olympics when she saw that I was wearing a special olympics jacket. I should have walked out then but I didn't. I ordered my food to go. A simple order of two eggs over easy, sausage and breakfast diced potatoes. The potatoes were frozen potatoes that were warmed up. They were bland at best. Not the cooks fault just restaurant policy. The eggs were over hard but I can live with that. This was the worst meal I've paid for in years.

1  Thank tblazers
barb l, Owner at Dee-Ann's Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2016

I am so sorry your were not pleased with your breakfast. We have had a change in staff and hope you will give our new waitress a chance to make up for a bad experience. We make all of our foods fresh daily. Potatoes are the giant Idaho bakers - they are baked and then peeled, cut in cubes and deep fat fried. Never frozen. All food is prepared especially for the customer nothing is prepared ahead - other than the egg salad, tuna salad, or chicken salad used for sandwiches. We prepare a special daily and the special changes daily. Tomorrow (June 6, 2016) I will make "Barb's Mac & Cheez" for the lunch special - I guarantee you it is not from a box. All pies are made from scratch - not purchased frozen, thawed and baked. The manager makes all pies and cinnamon buns daily. The waffle batter is prepared daily from an Iowa farm recipe. Biscuits and gravy are made daily. Our country gravy has fresh sausage added for more flavor. We do not add salt to our foods in consideration of those people who cannot tolerate salt. That's up to the customer to add. Please give us another chance to win your breakfast trade.

Reviewed December 23, 2015

This is an older established restaurant in Brookings that your will find many a local. It is basic American food that your mom would make. I like the Chinese chicken salad. Very good dressing. This salad is made with iceburg which is appropriate for the recipe. Save room for dessert. Homemade pie made daily. Good service.