“Our getaway by the beach”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookings
Lowden's Beachfront Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Brookings B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Our getaway by the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

We just returned from a week away touring the Oregon coast. We spent 3 nights at the Lowden's B&B, which was just what we needed. It was a clean, comfortable suite, with an amazing view. The location is well situated a stones throw from Northern California where we hiked through the Redwoods and watched the sea lions play. Everything was close by, yet far enough away that it was nice and quiet.

We enjoyed our privacy, relaxing on the deck and going for walks on the beach. We also had a great time with their cat Mew and dog Cody. It was wonderful sitting on the deck sipping wine and watching the beautiful sunset. The Lowden's were very friendly and welcoming, and to top it off we could not have asked for better weather. It was a great stay and we look forward to staying at Lowden's again the next time we head through Oregon. Thanks for the great stay!

• Liked — You look out the patio door and the beach is right there! Great view.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sammiecanada

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pleasant Grove, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

Not a typical B&B. But, the room was nice and the view was spectacular, right on the ocean front. You can't beat it. They bring you Breakfast the night before, some croissants and scones. But, it is what it is. Would I stay there again, probably not. We would probably find a more traditional B&B.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Not a very nice or tasty Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SearsPoints
Everett, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

After reading reviews from your site we thought we would trust the written word...so sorry we did. We have been on a road trip from Seattle to Palm Springs to Anaheim to Los Angeles to Napa...to the Oregon Coast... Brookings! Our last few days to relax and catch our breath before we head back home. First impressions say a lot and this one is not so good. The grounds are a bit boring and uninviting, (but I do admit the view is amazing.) The room is stale smelling with old carpet, the bath is not clean, smudges on the doors, in the sinks and in the bath tub. I really needed to soak in the tub after the long drive, but for the price, I thought the cleaning job belonged to someone other than myself! The web site lists it as a bed and breakfast. NOT!! A few croissants and hard scones with Knott's Berry Farm Jam in plastic containers and some fruit does not define bed and breakfast. We are here for three nights and we have determined to make the best of this, but this place certainly does not meet either mine nor my husbands expectations. My first recommendation would be for the hosts to make some changes to their web site and list this as a room with a beach view but not as a bed and breakfast . Then it really needs some updating and it certainly needs to be CLEAN!
Lynda and Duane Eickhoff
Snohomish, Washington

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and smell of room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank 2roadtrippin
Roseburg, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

One of the most beautiful views on the Oregon Coast. You've got the Winchuck River and a secluded sandy beach/ocean at your doorstep. Rooms are nice and have widescreen TV's, DVD player, and free WiFi. Room rates were excellent, especially for an ocean front room. There were many fun things to do in the area such as hiking/sightseeing the Redwood forests, tidepooling, and eating at the local seafood restaurants. Overall, Lowden's Beachfront Bed and Breakfast was a great place to stay and comes highly recommended.

• Liked — Room rates, beach access
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joleg25
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

I've been staying at Lowden's several times a year, sometimes for as much as a week at a time, for over six years. Barbara and Gary Lowden are warm and sensitive hosts. They're available to socialize, and are also aware that I want to spend time alone--writing, at the beach, on the deck, walking nearby trails.

The place is nicely maintained, and nearly every time I go, I find something new--a lovely new bedspread or blanket, beautiful sheets and towels, a new coffee maker or an electric tea kettle. The Lowdens know how to make a welcoming and cozy home.

One thing I especially like is the configuration of the rooms. I suppose they're actually little suites. I have a bedroom, bath (with a good shower head and a spacious tub) and living/dining/kitchen area all to myself, which affords a great deal of privacy if I want it, and I don't feel like I have to stay in the bedroom to get it.

The Lowdens are happy to advise about hiking trails, local activities, and good dining experiences (my all-time favorite Japanese restaurant is in Brookings, and there is an excellent fish place less than a mile away), although my usual thing when I'm there on retreat is to bring food and cook in the well-appointed kitchenette (microwave, fridge, toaster, tea kettle, coffee pot, plates & bowls, flatware, napkins, etc). Gary does the dishes!

For breakfast, the Lowdens provide a bowl of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, citrus, grapes), a basket of bread (croissants, muffins, bagels with cream cheese), tea and coffee, milk, coffee, juice, half-and-half, and some other things I can't remember because I don't use them. They bring the breads in the evening before so they're there whenever I want them, and the rest of the food is always available in the room.

Lowdens seems to attract nice folks as guests, too, and most people are happy to exchange pleasantries in passing. Cody the Dog and Mew the Cat are also a delight. They're willing to socialize outside, but know they're not allowed in guests' rooms.

The house is situated at the mouth of the Winchuck river. One of my great delights is to sit in the room and watch the changes in surf and river as the tide rises and falls. The whole wall facing the sea is glass, so no matter the weather, the view is great from the room or from the balcony. The blue room also has a lovely view up-river.

Lowden's Beachfront Bed and Breakfast is my favorite spot for retreats, and I heartily recommend it to other writers and to folks who enjoy a beautiful, peaceful place to just be.

• Liked — Comfort, beautiful surroundings and warm hospitality
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank WriterLadyinAshland
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

We were really looking forward to this "luxurious" B&B. The location is great -- right on the beach, and the beach is wonderful Oregon coastline.

The unit itself was small: a small bedroom and a very small sitting room. The bedding was actually luxurious, but nothing could make up for the uncomfortable bed -- it was a very old mattress. One of us actually gave up and spent most of two nights sitting up. We were there for four nights, and the mattress made us glad to leave.

Otherwise, the place is extremely clean. Furnishings are modest but decent. There are large sliding glass doors onto the deck. The little sitting room has a small fridge, coffee maker, table with two chairs, a sofa and old-style television. There isn't actually breakfast, they bring you a basket with some muffins wrapped in plastic and there is orange juice in the fridge and the coffee maker. The wireless connection is free. The proprietors were knowledgable and friendly.

All in all a decent place, except for the mattress.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed rated a zero out of ten
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank highway-blues
West Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2007

From your suite, starting from your left, you see a bridge (Hwy 101) reflected in the the pristine waters of the Winchuck River and, as backdrop, the river valley and hills of the National Redwood forest (we walked a fantastic trail here...ask Barbara about it). As you scan to the right, the beaches of Pelican Bay (California border is just yards away) stretch out before you. Moving along further to your right, the river estuary, loaded with birds, meets the ocean. At the Ocean, waves blast into the off-shore rocks where seals and sea birds sun themselves. The entertainment never ends and the view constantly changes with the tides and angle of the sun. The suite is wonderfully appointed by your caring hosts, Gary and Barbara Lowden. I slept on the most comfortable bed, with soft silky sheets and feather light comforters. I loved the extra long cord on the showerhead (for us tall guys) and my wife loved the deep tub. She had loads of extra towels and a big bar of soap (not those tiny 1 inch things), really good coffee, popcorn to go along with lots of current movies (to play on your private in-suite DVD). My only regret...I only booked 1 night. We definitely will return.

• Liked — Awesome bed and bedding and attention to detail (so many extras I can't list).
  • Disliked — Nothing. I thought this place was superb.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank westcoastfan74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookings
5.7 km away
28.4 km away
Ocean View Inn & Suites
Ocean View Inn & Suites
#2 of 18 in Crescent City

Been to Lowden's Beachfront Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!