See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 6, 2016 via mobile

We were looking for a place to stay near Brookings, OR and ran across this place. While recommended to us by a friend we were concerned with a couple of the posts on Trip Advisor. Don't let a few posts deter you from this place, we loved it.

It is a two building property with rooms in both buildings. We stayed in the Maybeck room and really liked it. The house was built in the early 1900's (I believe 1914) and thus there are some very typical old building issues like creaky floors, etc., but all in all there were no issues. The bed we slept in was amazingly soft and the bathroom was very clean. The bedroom had a gas fireplace and was really comfortable. I noticeda couple of posts commenting on the carpets being worn and dirty. They are worn, by the "dirty" seemed more a function of just being older and wooten than any actual cleanliness issues.

The hosts were a sweet lady (wish I could remember her name) and her adult son, Miles. Both were very friendly and particularly Miles gave us some great advice on places to see between there and San Francisco. I noticed one of the posts said something about the "surfer guy" (Miles) being a bit put-offish... we couldn't have found him to be more different. Now he definitely looks and sounds like a surfer, but he was super friendly, very engaging to talk with and took particular pride in making our breakfast a "presentation".

Speaking of the free breakfast, it was great. A yogurt and granola starter, then home-cooked bacon, cinnamon French toast and a mixed fruit presentation which Miles made into a huge "happy face" arrangement.

Overall loved the place and the people. The lady even gave us some of her very own canned salmon they she had came herself on our way out. Again, this is an old converted house into a B&B and NOT a hotel, but as long as you go into it knowing that, I think this will meet our exceed your expectations.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TuscaTraveler
Reviewed October 26, 2016

We stayed one night. It was comfortable enough, but in need of a deep clean (dirty carpets). Stayed upstairs in a good size room but tiny shower. My parents stayed downstairs, again good sized room but a bath which had no plug. Breakfast was ok, but the owners family were in the kitchen making quite a noise at the time.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
sciinnkeeper, Manager at South Coast Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2016

Hello, thank you for your review. The carpet you are referring to was cleaned a few times in August and September. Red wine spills are simply there, unable to be removed. It was due to be replaced but the carpet was back-ordered for 6 to 10 weeks. We have now gone with hardwoods due to the long lag time. The house is 100 years old. The bath tub you are referring to has a faucet on the wall to close the drain (3 faucet knobs: hot, cold, drain). Some people mistake this for a modern shower knob. There is also a flat rubber stopper with a brass duck sitting on the ledge of the tub for those not familiar with the old style tubs. I am sorry we were noisy and we will do better to quiet down in the mornings. Thank you for staying.

Reviewed October 2, 2016

The young man who greeted us on arrival after a looong day in the car was a bit "surfer-dude" but clearly the person in charge and showed us to our room which was, he said, his favourite. It was in a stand-alone structure and upstairs, not what I had imagined when I booked. Too tired to think about it, I had a shower. In the meantime he came back and confessed to my husband he thought we were the Australians who were booked into this self-contained cottage and who were now in our room inside the main building! Aargh.

He agreed to give us breakfast the next morning, even though it wasn't part of the room deal, but we had to pay the difference on the value of the rooms! The cottage is not decorated in period style. The bedroom and bathroom were a bit tired.

Luckily for him, breakfast was great (he cooked it all).

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twokiwis2014

Hello, Oh yes, I recall this mix-up quite well. Again my apologies. The "surfer-dude" needs a little brushing up on accents and ask for names on check in. The apartment is modern, much different than the main house. I will look into sprucing it up! A good winter project. Thank you and my apologies for the confusion.

Reviewed September 4, 2016

From our brief two-day stay, this place is a gem. It is a beautiful Craftsman-style house, circa 1917, built by renowned San Francisco architect Bernard Maybeck. We stayed in the Maybeck room that was like a private suite. It is a shut-off from the main house onto a private corridor leading to the bedroom and bathroom. There was also a secluded private patio off the bedroom, with a back gate where you could leave and enter without going through the main house. That is a difficult choice as the house is so beautiful.
The breakfasts in the elegant dining room were good, not over-faced with too much food as happens in some B&Bs.
If we are ever back in the area, we’ll stay in the Maybeck Room.

Room Tip: Stay in the Maybeck room - very private
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PDXMichael B
Reviewed August 10, 2016

Lovely B and B. We stayed in a large suite on the first floor. King bed, electric "wood burning" stove in corner, private patio and private entrance. Large bathroom with soaker tub. Inside was lovely, furnishings exactly what you would want from a B&B. Clean and decorated beautifully.Exterior needs a sprucing up. I like the overgrown "English Garden" look but the outside of the house still needs a good clean up. I would recommend this to friends. Breakfast was yogurt, french toast and fruit. Parking was extremely limited.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple