“No return”

Ranked #9 of 18 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Bonney Lake, Washington
“No return”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My husband and I were celebrating our 3rd Anniversary and in advance had the staff of this place arrange flowers, chocolates, and wine prior to our arrival. Well there was no flowers, chocolates, and wine and boy was I peeved. I understand people are going to make mistakes, but they understood what I wanted done prior to our arrival therefore I expected it. It was a HUGE disappointment. I called them to let them know and they gave us a voucher for $100 for either of their ocean properties to stay at which expires in the worst time of the year....May (it rains at the beach at this time) so I don't think so. I appreciated their apology and willingness to help make up for their mistake, but it was our Anniversary and that only happens 1x a year. Rustic is right! It was a OK cabin #27 and it smelled and felt like a old cabin that had barely any lighting. There was humidity in ours and when you stepped outside it was so refreshing to breathe in the clean non humid air. The mattress kept shifting and we would wind up with it sloping off to one side, so we had to push it inward every night. My husband thought the mattress was very uncomfortable. Overall I would give it a 1.5 with 5 being fantastic! I don't think at all it's worth $165 a night in the summer time. For another $75 a night we could have stayed at our fav The Ocean Lodge and had a 5 star service. We had stayed at the Ocean Lodge a few times before and wanted to try something different this time. Once you have stayed at a place that you have no complains over it's hard to venture off to try something new. We won't be back to the Hearthstone nor will we use the voucher they gave. I am not interested in trying any of their properties when the best is where we have stayed before. Don't have to worry at the Ocean Lodge.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed at Hearthstone and loved it. Real wood burning fireplace with beautiful hardwood floor. We loved the rustic feel. So comfy and cozy. Friendly front desk staff - they were super helpful when we asked for an extra blanket. Really clean. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing the Hearthstone Inn for your recent stay in Cannon Beach and providing your feedback.
Your notes were shared with our team. We value you as a guest and your constructive feedback, which assists us in our ongoing efforts to maintain high standards of service. We truly hope to host you again.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is a nice clean, roomy, rustic cabin. Within a block of the coast. We would happily return here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 1 September 2010

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE opened the door and a blast of foul smell came at me, walked in thought oh, oh, but so tired could hardly stand, so decided to bring stuff in then take a nap, thinking if I slept on it, it would somehow change, so excited was I to be at my first away from home vacation in 5 years. Started putting stuff away and really started seeing all the FILTH, no wonder it smelled, carpet supposed to be beige was black with some beige showing through, counters dull, sink dirty, under sink area stunk, kitchen floor filthy dirty. Laid on bed outside covers because by then my skin was crawling, the pillows and bed smelled like other people. I fell asleep for about 1 hour woke up with a terrible headache, chest & nasal congestion, could not stay one more moment, oh yeah there were cobwebs hanging from the wall lights and skylight. Packed up my gear and went home, my clothes stunk of the room all the way home and that was with a/c on all the way (at night). I was finally able to breathe about half the way home. When I arrived home I immediately emailed them and told them I wanted a full refund, they informed me because I had signed a No Refund waiver I was out of luck. I informed them they hadn't heard the last of me and to date I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau of OR/WA/AK and the City of Cannon Beach for shoddy business practices. I would NEVER trust this lodging company again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank rosefran
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I booked our stay in advance for the Fourth of July weekend in Cannon Beach, OR. Through the on-line website I discovered The Hearthstone Inn with its "log four-poster beds" and pictures of such with plaid duvets. I booked the GRAND room with its separate one bedroom and paid in full. I also was greeted on-line to a $20 new visitor offer of which I was to print and deliver upon arrival. The room rate was $185/night.

Needless to say, we were very disappointed in our accomodations. Upon entering our room we were greeted with filthy, stained carpet. In the bedroom there was no "log four-poster bed" with plaid duvet. Instead we had chipped furniture and stained wallpaper with holes throughout.

I immediately went to the front desk (at one of the hotels managed by CANNON BEACH HOTEL LODGING) and explained my dismay. But, because of the holiday weekend and advance payment was without much recourse. We spent very little time in this room.

When we departed, I again expressed my frustration of being shown one thing on-line and getting something very different. The front desk staff was very friendly and offered me a night stay at one of their other properties, but because we do not travel to Cannon Beach often, I declined. Joan said she would work out some sort of compensation refund after speaking with her supervisors.

Since then I have yet to receive any refund. I have sent correspondence by email and phone and actually spoke last week with Lisa Fergus the General Manager who took my reservation number (--) and said she would get back to me.

At this time, I have not heard from her or her staff. I also have not received my $20 NEW VISITOR credit which was to be credited to my VISA account as stated on the coupon I delivered at check-in.

The accomodations and lack of response has been very disappointing in such a wonderful place to visit.

Kelly Feldmeier

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kfeld
Neshanic Station, NJ
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We had alot going for us, weather, location and the rates were average but the room, #24, is in really in bad shape. The pull out couch ( which was confirmed to fit two people) had holes/ in the cushions, smelled and was too small for 2 Teens to sleep on.
We wanted to book a room that we all had a bed to sleep on but that was not available even 4 months ahead, but was assured that this room would work for us. The carpet was so stained that we didn't go barefoot., really gross. The bathroon was very small and they never made up our room between days.
During check out the lady at the desk didn't want to hear about the room condition and was rude & strangely odd, this just confirmed.. Not Going Back....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We frequently stay in Cannon Beach with family, but the house was pretty full and so we decided to get a hotel. We got a great last-minute, mid-week deal on this place. The units are indeed rustic, with knotty pine interiors, high vaulted ceilings, and beach rock fireplaces. The location is very convenient to Cannon Beach proper although a bit close to busy Hemlock Street for our taste. It's very pet-friendly, as well, although we chose not to bring our dogs. The queen-size bed is fine although the mattress was rock hard compared to newer motels. The pull-out sofa bed wasn't in great shape but was no less comfortable than average and was fine for our 2- and 4-year old boys. The fireplace is great--they give you a firelog for each night of your stay. It was quite stormy at Cannon Beach during our stay and the fire was very welcoming. (The wind blew a bit of smoke into our room and some water came down the chimney, but it wasn't a big deal and par for the course with a real fireplace.) There is a kitchenette and dining area with a small fridge, a microwave, and coffee maker. The bathroom is smallish with just a shower--no tub. Overall, I'd say that these are lodgings with a lot of character but not much of the "pampering" feeling that seems to be every resort's goal these days. Our kids loved it and it was very memorable compared to your average hotel or rental. Prices seem reasonable for what you get, as well, and the front desk person (owner?) was extremely accommodating and friendly. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family