“Theft problem at the Waves Motel.”
Review of The Waves

The Waves
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed at the Flagship @ The Waves Motel(3 Nights) 4/2011…WORST EXPERIENCE STAYING AT CANNON BEACH EVER! . BAD SERVICE. POOR QUALITY ROOMS. THEFT PROBLEM. UNPROFESSIONAL SERVICE AND STAFF. WE WON'T BE RETURNING THERE & WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND!!!!! A piece of jewelry from in my luggage was stolen right out of my room. Upon returning home from staying at The Waves I realized that a very precious piece of jewelry was missing from my jewelry bag that was inside my luggage. Not to take lightly the accusation of theft or irresponsibility on the part of the motel staff, believe me I was certain that it was not simply misplaced before I contacted this management. When I notified the staff about the missing piece of jewelry I was assured that this never happens there. It must be that I simply misplaced said piece of fine jewelry I was told. The staff was unprofessional and callous. This was apparent at check in as well, but at first I thought that the unattentive and unprofessional staff was an exception, not the rule. The manager of The Waves blew me off about the theft with little regard that we had just spent seven hundred dollars to stay there, and I thought that insult would be the end of it. Then I get a nice little paragraph emailed response from the owner, touting 35 years of impeccable service and a perfect staff record to boot. Once again, and by the owner himself this time, it is insinuated, that I just simply misplaced my jewelry, and it could not possibly have been stolen by an employee of his motel. I had a very expensive piece of jewelry stolen right out of my luggage in the room that my husband and I were staying in at over $200 a night. I learned a valuable lesson. Never leave valuables in your motel room no matter how nice of a place you think it is. At THE WAVES, not only will they downplay your complaints, they will blow you off and insinuate that you are a complete moron. Problem number two: the windows were poorly insulated and badly in need of calking to the point where a little bit of wind(and this is Cannon Beach, you will have wind daily) makes consistent loud whistling noises. This matters not during the day when you are out playing, but at night when you are trying to sleep it's not fun
Liked: Disliked:

Room Tip: don't waste your time with the waves motel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank monica b

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We have friends that own the Fireside restaurant in Cannon Beach. For the past nine years we have stayed at the Waves. We love the location and the ocean views. The staff is allways friendly and accommodating. We would never thing of staying anywhere else. The very best experience. Bruce & Daryl Dickinson

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We wanted to splurge on a nice trip to the coast for our anniversary. The Waves was a very nice treat. You could have a less expensive room there, but we wanted to have oceanfront. You are a long walk from the Haystack Rock, but you have amazing views of that and Ecola State Park right out your window. The fireplace in the room was a nice treat for the mid September evening and I felt the room was very tastefully decorated. Also, you are steps away from many restaurants and stores which is a plus!
I will say the people at check in/out were not the friendliest. Simply gave you your keys and let you on your way. Also, it is too bad this place does not allow pets

Room Tip: We had room 410. It had a stunning view of Ecola State Park. No complaints.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The Waves is a good value for the price. Our room was quite small but was all we needed for 2 nights; also we were in Cannon Beach to hang out with friends so we weren't planning to be in the room much. The location is great & the bed was very comfy. The window blinds should probably come with instructions, it took us a while to figure out how to fix them so they couldn't be seen through!

One thing that would improve this hotel or any other - because it's been a long time since I've seen a hotel that offered this - REAL coffee in the room. The room has a coffeemaker & coffee, but no filters, because the coffee is that icky stuff that comes in its own filter pack. So if I want to bring my own real coffee, I also have to remember to bring filters. Also very few hotels nowadays provide good tea. So that could be improved, here. But that's something that applies to all hotels, not just this one.

I am going to start packing my own french press & coffee!

To end this on a positive note - we could hear the waves from our room - which is something I love, love, love. Maybe that's why it's called The Waves, duh!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the Garden Court King/Twin room. It is a great choice for anyone who doesn't want to spend an extra $50-100/night for an ocean view - who needs that when you are just steps from the beach? We loved the super-soft luxury sheets and comfortable beds. Location is excellent, near shops and restaurants. So nice to be able to walk two minutes for those early morning runs on the beach.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kaylinMD
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed in the Flagship units that offer the best ocean views in my opinion of the three complexes they own. One thing you will notice is that the view is better than that of others as it overs 180 degree views where as other facilities offer you only a straight foward view.

Per other reviewers, I have to agree, any other complex besides the Flagship, only offers partial views of the ocean and usually from leaning over a balcony or looiking through the gaps of the Flagship complex.

In regards to service, I noticed a lack of friendliness as well. Not only at the faciilty but everywhere we went in Cannon Beach wether it was restaurant or shopping. I'm from Leavenworth, WA and we handle a fair amount of tourists as well with much better service.

BTW the turn down service is very minimal. They only touched the towels and bed. That's it.

All in all this location was acceptable for what we needed and even as first time visitors. Just don't get your hopes up that they appreciate the business, or a showing of it.

Room Tip: Stay in the Flagship, second floor room 410
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I liked the Waves a lot. We had a nice view of the ocean, a clean quiet apartment and instant access to the busy center of Cannon Beach. The kitchen was well stocked with equipment, the main room spacious and the bedroom bright and cheerful. Lots of clean towels, plenty of storage space and a hot shower that really worked - what more could we ask. Cannon Beach at this time of year is really expensive but I thought we had good value for money.

Room Tip: The upper floors have better views but there are stairs not elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family