“Going downhill”

Sams Station
Ranked #27 of 235 Restaurants in Corvallis
Cuisines: Diner, Deli
Reviewed May 2, 2017

This used to be one of our favorite places to eat in Corvallis. However, they've changed a few things lately that have had us looking for other places.

They got rid of the zucchini in the omelets. If you've never had zucchini in an omelet, then you won't understand why this is an issue. But if you have, then you'd know that eggs and zucchini are made for each other.

Their french toast used to be decent, and now it tastes like they use their old eggs and old bread thinking patrons won't notice the difference.

Their baked goods are OUTSTANDING! As long as Matt keeps baking, you will not be disappointed. I usually hate rye bread, but I always order the rye bread when I'm there, it's very good.

Speaking of Matt, if you find yourself ordering at the rare times when Matt is cooking, it's absolutely excellent. When the young people are cooking, it's hit and miss. And the only time we've had good coffee from them is when Matt made it. A true talent and jack of all trades there, but too busy to be doing all the jobs all the time. Given that the employee pool is mostly college students, I don't know what can be done about this.

Reviewed March 1, 2017

Good spot for breakfast/lunch. Generous portions -- both my wife and I and the other couple with us each split an entre'. Good, fast service.

Reviewed February 14, 2017

We generally like Sam's Station for lattes and a quick breakfast pastry. Their food is great. Usually the service is passable-ish but what we experienced on Saturday prompted me to write this review. It was busy but we only ordered two coffee drinks and a cinammon roll. We were sitting outside so we ordered at the counter, paid and then waited. And waited. And nothing. After about 15 minutes I went back in and inquired about our order; the guy working the cash register seemed perplexed. Finally another employee said that she had turned around our ticket because she just figured it was complete. WTH? The guy working the cash register made our drinks and rushed them out. One drink was wrong. He made it again and was speedy. We also finally received our cinammon roll. The thing that makes me give Sam's this rating is that no one ever apologied to us or seemed to have any sense that this was bad service. A simple apology (or hello, a free lattte) would have made this experience frustrating but tolerable. The waitress who turned our ticket over kinda shrugged at me and the guy at the cash register just seemed kinda uncomfortable. There are plenty of good coffee places in Corvallis. Sam's needs to step up its game considerably.

2  Thank starrynight42
Reviewed November 18, 2016

This little gem is in our neighborhood. It's always crowded and the food is delicious. The service is a bit slow, but it's worth the wait!

Reviewed August 26, 2016

I just had the privilege of dining at Sam's for the first time, and this is where I will be bringing friends and family from now on. The Eastern Oregon Shirred Eggs beat even Thomas Keller's Bouchon. Great coffee and service top it off for the perfect morning.