“We all had a great time and we'll be back!”
Review of Odell Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent Lake
Odell Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crescent Lake
Earth
“We all had a great time and we'll be back!”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We are a family of four with two small girls so it's really important for us to find a family friendly vacation. We all enjoyed staying in the Cabin in Odell Lake Lodge and we actually went back in September and camped in their gorgeous camp grounds by the lake. John the owner is a very nice guy and the other John and Diane were the true spirit of the resort. John made sure everyone enjoyed their time specially during horse back riding. Thank you all for making our vacation especial.
While they can do a better job in keeping the cabins clean, we enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank EarthTraveller_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Second annual multi family visit to Odell Lake Resort. Looking forward to our third. Stayed at campsites 27 & 28. While good, prefer the campsites that are right on the water. But it was probably good that we weren't down there because it was windy, and that wind was stronger near the water.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 September 2011

First, I am a very experienced traveler and have stayed in just about every type of accommodation during my 40 years of globe trotting. This includes some not very nice places. The room here was absolutely horrible and I would not recommend it unless you are truly homeless. We thought a lake resort would be a great place to stay and were ready for a simple and rustic time. We reserved in advance and were told by phone that they had a no refund cancellation policy which we accepted. We arrived at 4:30 in the afternoon and were given the key to our room. It had not been cleaned, bed spread just pulled over, some wrappers and cups out and a toilet which had not been flushed. Aside from this the room was at best exceedingly dingy. The toilet thing was a real turn off. I went to the front desk and they said they could have it cleaned in 30 minutes. As it was already supposed to be clean we had little confidence in the end result so we said no. They they then offered to show us the only other thing available, a cabin outside. As I said earlier I have globe trotted since I was 19 and this room was not even close to acceptable almost under any circumstance. I said that we were now too turned off and was assured by the front desk person that under the circumstances we would have our money refunded, no problem however the manager would have to take care of it. 4 subsequent calls over 6 weeks and I have not yet spoken to the manager. I feel totally ripped off and therefore have written this review. When I booked I thought their no refund policy was probable due to their somewhat remote area and the difficulty in filling a cancellation on short notice. I now feel the reason is that the rooms are so bad that people upon arriving do not want to stay their.

In fairness, the front desk person was very nice. The lodge common areas are quaint and rustic. The fishing is great and I have heard that the dining room is pretty good. So, go for the day but do not get sucked into staying there by reading a positive review elsewhere about this place.

24 Thank rbtpotter2
corvette14, Owner at Odell Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
We sincerely appreciate all opinions expressed by our guests. Complimentary reviews are always nice to receive, however, in the event we have an unhappy guest, we attempt to make every effort to acknowledge and learn from it. In this particular case, there was unfortunately a communication breakdown between Front Desk and Housekeeping which has been addressed with staff. When our desk attendant issued keys to this guest, he/she did it in good faith that the room had been previously cleaned. Obviously, this was not the case. Once it was apparent that a mistake had been made, our staff made every attempt to offer to quickly clean the room, or allow these guests to occupy a cabin instead, thus creating reasonable solutions. Unfortunately, they declined. We are sorry that we did not have the opportunity to serve these guests by hosting their stay. We are very happy, however, to hear that they found our staff to be polite, the lodge to be quaint, good restaurant dining, and that they experienced great fishing!

Travellers are raving about these Crescent Lake hotels

Rogue River, Oregon
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The lake is beautiful, as only high mountain lakes are superb. There are several nearby resorts, but this is the only one we'll return to, because it has class and a quiet charm and staff that offers old-fashioned hospitality to its guests. They offer a variety of accommodations, ranging from a small campground to lodge rooms and lovely rustic cabins. We recently stayed at the lodge, in a room overlooking the lake and the patio, using the lodge's fireplace room (complete with puzzles, games and maps) as our living room. Most of the staff knew the event was my husband's birthday, and they went out of their way to get us hiking and paddling to his heart's content, even driving us to a trailhead. And arranging a special off-menu steak dinner! He was thrilled by the service and tells me it was his best-ever birthday.. But we've also been very satisfied in the cabins, particularly cozy in snow season. They rent canoes, paddleboats and powerboats, and offer horse rides at family affordable rates. And the staff try hard to meet the needs of a all their guests, from serious fishermen to families with young children and folks just needing a getaway from city stress. Our room was clean and cozy, with a great bed and good linens. The place has the feel of the rustic lodge that Zane Gray and Teddy Roosevelt would have enjoyed after a full day of fishing (or skiing or snowshoeing). And it abuts the Diamond Peak Wilderness, a jewel of trails and lakes in pristine condition.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 5 September 2011

It rained for 4 of our 6 days, and the fishing wasn't all that great, but we are coming back for two weeks next year. Why?
1. I require a specialized diet. The restaurant worked extra hard to modify their menu. The meals were excellent, and fit my diet.
2. While the fishing wasn't so good because of the rain, the employees went out of their way to guide fisherman toward the best spots and advised on the correct gear.
3. John, the owner, took us out to show us how to catch Mackinaw trout. He was very informative, didn't try to sell us anything such as guide service, and was a very likable guy.
4. One night it rained really hard, and an employee took it on himself to bail out personal boats at the dock.
5. On our last day, a bolt came loose from inside my boat transmission. One of the employees worked with me for about an hour, but we couldn't fix it. John called Klamath Falls to several mechanics until he found someone to fix it.
6. Every employee was really nice, the rooms were clean, the place is gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The cabin was dirty, had a very intense, unpleasant odor of dead animal radiating from the kitchen area. The 'fake' wood-burning stove which was gas, was not working. Rather unfortunate as the lake is quite windy and it got cold that night. The broiler pan was missing from the oven so we could not cook our steaks. The fully stocked kitchen was a gross exaggeration. There was food under the sofa, the smoke alarm was beeping 'low battery' all night until it was located stashed in the cupboard in the kitchen. The water heater was leaking. The tap water was dirty. When management was advised of some of these issues, the attitude was 'yeah, OK'. We had booked this cabin for 3 nights and left after the first night. There was no offer of a refund, no concern for the reasons. These cabins are billed as rustic and this should be revised to run down.
The only redeeming quality was the view which was stunning if you enjoyed it from inside, as it was so windy outside. The overall property condition was terrible, broken boats, rusty trailers, broken snow equipment strewn all over, road condition poor and very dusty. There is an obvious lack of maintenance everywhere you look.
The restaurant was clean looking, the food was good (only ate lunch once) and the service was good. We were the only ones in there at the time. The cabins are a very expensive bad joke.
As a business owner (we own a restaurant) we are very aware of quality. We know the difference between quaint and rustic and broken down and dirty. This was broken down and dirty. Avoid this place!

Room Tip: Read these reviews!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank algernon5150
corvette14, Owner at Odell Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
We apologize for the series of issues which led to this unhappy guest. Upon check-in, it is standard procedure to ask the guest to please let us know if they need anything once they settle into their cabin. Unfortunately, we were not made aware of the issues at hand until we read the "Trip Advisor" complaint. Had we known there were problems, we would have immediately dealt with them. We take the concerns of our guests very seriously. Regarding rusty boats and equipment....we do allow dry boat storage and along with this, one may occasionally witness rusty equipment on the premises. Regarding dusty roads....guests can expect to experience some level of dusty driveways/roads in these small mountain resort settings, and regarding the water.....we have our water regularly inspected by the State and have repeatedly been complimented by the analytical labs which directly do the testing on how amazingly wonderful it is. Any claim which would create doubt regarding quality of water is simply not true. With this being said, once again, we are very sorry that this customer left unhappy.
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have been coming to Odell Lake Lodge nearly every year since about 1997 and to be honest I've never had a bad time there. When I was a bit younger I used to pack magazines and books up with me to pass away the time as I am not a huge fisherman like my father or my husband. But, it seems Odell Lodge is really striving to make more activities for those not interested in the fishing. There are bikes you can rent, paddle boats, horseshoes, volleyball, a play area, and now horseback riding! If you've never been to Odell Lake it's not a high class resort. There are rooms for rent above the lodge and then cabins that range from 2 people to a few larger cabins and one that sleeps up to 16. Over the years I've stayed in cabins 8, 7, 1 and 17(17 is what we usually ask for).
And I'll give you my opinion of the cabins...... First off if you are picky then move on. These cabins are furnished but the furnishings are mismatched and none are new. In the kitchen you will find bowls, cups, plates, pots and pans....ocassionally there are knives but don't count on them being very sharp. There are no napkins or fancy serving dishes. If you need these things then bring them from home. Every cabin that I've stayed in has awesome kitchen tables that are great for sitting around playing board games or putting together puzzles. Each cabin usually has a sofa or sometimes 2...but sometimes seating can get a bit tight if there are more than 4 of you. The bed linens are clean and usually pretty soft and comfy. I've never encountered any dirty linens in my stays. However most of the bed mattresses are not that comfy. I usually put down a few extra blankets or I sleep on the hideaway beds which the one in cabin 17 is pretty decent. If you need anything extra the lodge staff are really good about providing lots of extra towels and linens. They let you know at check in to ask for anything you need and I've never had a problem with getting new towels, trash bags or extra toliet paper. These cabins are NOT new (well except 14) so they do lack space that newer hotel rooms may have. When I mean lack space...the bathrooms/shower spaces are usually tiny and same with the kitchens. Most cabins sleep quite a few people but due to the size I think sometimes more than 5 people in one cabin (with the exception of the much larger cabin) may get a bit too crowded. Another nice thing about Odell Lodge is you always have plenty of firewood that's already chopped and stacked right next to your cabin. This is really handy for those windy and wet nights out on Odell lake. Trust me that this firewood being provided is a luxury as I've stayed at other lodges/cabins where you're expected to chop and haul in your own wood. As far as the lodge goes...they have a small movie/game room (most of the games are donated I think and may be missing pieces so better to bring your own. The lodge also has a nice restraunt with a decent little menu, don't expect steak and lobster the menu is mostly burges, fish n chips, salads, sandwhiches and breakfast..but as this is a family owned and ran operation sometimes it takes a little bit longer to get your food or someone to wait on you. If you are impatient then maybe you should just stick to eating in your cabin. The people who run and work this place are very friendy and helpful. We had an issues with our heater in our cabin and the lodge was very prompt about getting someone over and he was very friendly and helpful! The 3rd day of our most current stay my father's battery on his boat died (luckily before left the dock!) one of the guys working the lodge did everything possible to help out...including offering us one of the batteries from one of their rental boats so we could go out! Odell Lodge as I mentioned earlier has really tried to step up to adding other activities for summer besides camping and fishing. This year they added horseback riding and have six horses on site and rides that range from 1hr to all day for pretty reasonable prices. I highly recommend going out if you like horseback riding as the trail guide John is really awesome! Very nice and I had a great time riding with him a couple of days in a row. Our last ride he even stoped to get down and take our photos out in the woods AND in the spot where my husband proposed to me! The horses are all from a horse rescue horses too ...very sweet and good natured. My husband who never rides went out the second day and had a blast even when we snuck into a canter without warning him. Really I cannot stress enough how awesome it was to pop into the lodge and ask if I could go riding and in 20min you are on the trail! Love it! Beats Black Butte Stable experience hands down! As far as the rest of the place goes it's beautiful everywhere around the Lodge. The campgrounds are some of the prettiest I've seen in Oregon...RIGHT on the lake with gorgeous views. And if you need anything there is a gas station/market/sportsman store, a cafe, a small hotel and Manleys(a bar with delicious broasted chicken) about 5min up from Odell Lodge. If I had to list any downsides to Odell Lake it would be these....Certain times of the year the mosquitos can be quite bad..this year they were more than others..bring lots of spray OR eat some garlic cloves before you go (however beware that might chase off the people you are with!), also the lake gets pretty windy during the mid afternoon which makes fishing or boating difficult AND ..... the worst part... places like these seem to attract what my husband and I affectionately refer to as the "Portland Yuppies" .... they will wander around the woods looking lost with an empty wine glass in their hand, complaining of no showers at the campground, and that they didn't get their extra shot of espresso in their latte ...Yes we did witness this. Anyhow...I highly reccomend this place for anyone who is laid back, likes the outdoors, likes to fish, enjoys a cozy cabin with the feeling of being camping but without all the extra hassle and to those who enjoy those good ole' fashioned days where you'd just sit around the table playing board games and staying up late laughing while telling old family stories! Because when you go there you'll be sure to create some!

8 Thank Sara I
39.9 km away
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#2 of 2 in Chemult

Been to Odell Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!