“Best chowder & best gluten free menu on the coast”
Review of Bay Walk cafe

Bay Walk cafe
Ranked #17 of 36 Restaurants in Depoe Bay
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 31, 2017

I have found a great chowder place in bay walk cafe. They had a whole menu of gluten free food, great fish & chips, seasoned fries & regular fries. The clam chowder was terrific. Very limited eating area max of 15. Worth it. Plus a super good ice cream flavors.

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed May 30, 2017

Best Gluten Free Fish and Chips in the area. Went to this restaurant three times in one week just because they served good gluten free food as well as other food. The service was friendly and quick, but we were the only ones in the restaurant. Try the GF fish and garlic fries.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed April 4, 2017

For anyone out there who eats gluten free and wants seafood, which we usually cannot get, this is the place to go when in the Depot Bay area. Here is my review:

Good: The fish and chips were amazing! The chips (French fries) come in 3 flavors you can pick from; regular, garlic and ranch. My daughter had ranch and I had garlic, both were very good. The fish was very good, also. The women running the register (I believe her name was Susan) was super nice and apologized to everyone while waiting because it took a while to get the food.

Bad: The place is very small with hardly any seating. Luckily, we were there early enough to get a seat. However, we started in line by waiting outside. The websites for this place states they open at 11am and we got there at 11ish as we had not had breakfast, waiting to eat at this place. They never opened until 1pm. They weren't even there at 11am. We waited in line for about 15 minutes before we even got to order. Most of the people ahead of us just wanted ice cream. Luckily, there was an older gentleman scooping ice cream, not taking away time from the cashier. However, they also serve coffee/espresso/mochas, ect... But, they turned away about 3 people while we were there because the only one who made the coffee was the cook and she was too busy cooking to be bothered with coffee (lucky for us!!). They need to train someone else to do coffee. Another bad was the cook (who I believe is the owner), she complained in the back to someone else, but we could hear everything she was saying and she is a very negative person! She needs to be more professional and keep her comments low or to herself. And, the two most negatives.....we waited for more than an hour to get our food (and we were the 3rd people in line to order actual food and not ice cream) and the clam chowder, while nice and creamy, had absolutely no clam taste to it. I would rate the clam chowder as a 3. I had really good gluten free clam chowder in Newport and this was nothing compared to the Newport chowder!

The only reason I am giving this a 4 star is because there is almost no gluten free places to eat seafood on the coast and I am grateful that this place was there so we could eat seafood while on the coast; however, I would not order the chowder, just the fish and chips.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Sdean64
Reviewed January 10, 2017

Good for kids, friendly service, free parking and the menu items are average...The shrimp Louise is probably the best bet

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed January 5, 2017

The woman who served us was very personable, and the clam chowder was among the best we've tasted. There isn't much room for sitting down for lunch, but we were the only ones there. We'd definitely go back. We've gone to Mo's which is good, but this is quieter and much more intimate.

Date of visit: December 2016