Review Highlights

Not For The Faint of Heart

Reviewed October 2, 2018
dbonds404
Florence, Oregon

All reviews great hike beautiful beach small parking area tree roots short hike oregon beaches heceta lighthouse fairly easy hike great reward lush vegetation novice hiker moss covered mile marker steep areas pretty beach watch your step tide pools
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I (both in our sixties) stumbled on the near invisible parking area for this trail north of Florence. It is a small, too small, parking lot with a sign showing it is for the Hobbit Trail. Since most folks pass it at 55 mph or more, it's easy to miss. The trailhead is across the highway and the trail almost immediately goes downhill. The trail is full of rocks and roots which makes walking it difficult when added to the steepness. There are many tiny game trails under the canopy of trees which makes it easy to imagine that only small folk can traverse them. The map at the beginning of the trail says it's only 1/2 mile. It sure felt longer. The map also said the altitude above Hobbit Beach is 242 feet. The Hobbit Trail leads to a beautiful, secluded beach with seemingly its main access this steep trail. It's well worth the trip but the trail, again, is steep and the walk up had us breathing a bit hard. Only try this trail if you are in reasonable shape!

2  Thank miniventures
Reviewed October 2, 2018

This is a serious trail. I took it a few years ago to do some surf perch fishing. Coming back up I was thrilled that I did NOT catch anything. I swear my fishing rod weighed fifty pounds by the time I got back to the road. Great hike if you are in shape! Leave it alone if you have heart or leg joint issues.

Reviewed September 29, 2018

This was a fairly easy little hike that ends at the beach. From the beach you get a good view of the central Oregon coastline

Reviewed September 22, 2018

Short doable trail to secluded beach. Unique. Easy access. Read up on map or you could ride by the trailhead. At the trailhead one way goes to Hecta Head and the other to Hobbit. Well labeled.

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

Great fun mystical trail leading to the beach!!! Bit of a climb coming back but worth it!! Very small parking lot and signage not good so don’t miss it!

Reviewed September 17, 2018

This was a super fun trail system to hike down to the beach. Little cubbies branch off of the main trail where only hobbits could get through. We stopped by during the week (on the off season) and there were virtually no one on the beach. Very peaceful.

Reviewed September 12, 2018

Labor Day week end we were in Eugene and took the ride out to the Florence area.
We visited the Hobbit Trail- we took the shorter Route to the beach. Its a fun walk down and not to challenging trip back up. Its much cooler at the beach than at the road side so bring a light jacket.
We did see only one Hobbit named Josh

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Not an easy hike but extremely beautiful. Felt like we were alone in the forest. Bring plenty of water and food or be prepared to be ripped off at the lighthouse gift shop. They make you buy a metal bottle for $7.99 to get water. They tell you they are saving the environment. How do you save the environment producing a metal bottle in China that they pay the workers .50 an hour and will get thrown away as soon as you get back.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

This is a wonderful hike to a nice, quiet beach. The terrain is pretty steep in some areas, but as long as you take it slow, its nice.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

The grandkids had a fun hike to the beach. Even my 12 year old grandson enjoyed it. I was able to hike both down and up without a lot of difficulty