“Trail makes you feel like Bilbo til you get to the ocean”
Review of Hobbit Trail

Hobbit Trail
Ranked #2 of 42 things to do in Florence
Reviewed June 19, 2018

The trail is so cool, how the trees grow over it and make you feel like a hobbit (very aptly named). It's right off the highway and peak seasons can make parking a bit difficult (try a longer hike from the Heceta Head Lighthouse for better parking). But once you get to the end and the beach, it is so bright and beautiful. It's like it own world, because 15 minutes south in Florence it was really windy, cold and a bit foggy. But at Hobbit Trail/Beach, it was sunny, still air and 70 degrees.

All reviews
"watch your step"
"tide pools"
"half mile"

Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

There is a small parking area on the east side of the road. You cross over, then the trail splits - the right path takes you to the beach and the left path takes you to Heceta Head Lighthouse. I'll admit, I'm in terrible shape. I found the trail to the Lighthouse to be extremely strenuous. It was beautiful, and I loved how quiet and shaded it was. But it took everything out of me to get to the lighthouse. If it had been uphill all the way, I would have been fine going back. But it was up and down, and I knew I couldn't make it back to the car. My idea was to call an uber to pick us up at the Lighthouse, but there was no cell service. So my poor friend had to walk back by herself to get the car and meet me at the Lighthouse parking lot. So only do this trail if you are in good shape!

1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

This was mine and my wife’s first experience hiking in Oregon. We are from Arizona, so we were very much looking forward to some cooler hiking, and the Heceta Head Lighthouse to Hobbit Beach trail did not disappoint! As hikers go, we are definitely beginners, and had a few spots where we had to catch our breath, but with all the beautiful photo opportunities to be had, this was not a problem. As we climbed in elevation, we quickly realized that we were walking through a cloud forest, but luckily had our light rain jackets with us. We walked a total of 5.2 miles from the parking lot and included our walk on the beach. Pretty spectacular sites for us, as are used to obviously much drier conditions in Tucson, AZ. Would definitely recommend this hike for all seeking a vigorous hiking experience!

Reviewed May 6, 2018

I almost hate to mention this place because it has become very popular. We took the dogs for a walk and were amazed at the beauty of the journey to the beach. Be advised, it is not an easy walk. It's not overly strenuous either. The beach is beautiful and at times can be busy (holidays, not rainy days, weekdays.) The forest is luscious and has a canopy that keeps only the sun or even a light rain from bothering you. I am in my late sixties and was able to do it but I was tired afterwards. It was so worth it.

7  Thank Anne S