All reviews ocean view top floor great view oregon coast spa area private balcony two sinks breakfast bar hot tub great beach nice breakfast beds were comfortable yogurt second floor easy beach access road trip breakfast room
Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

I have just checked in, too tired to go argue and move to another hotel. The advertisements about the conditions are false and do not match the of actual building.
This is a very old dated worn out place. The bed is very soft. I don't weigh much and I'm sinking in several inches. The little fridge is completely iced up has not been defrosted for years not usable. The price should be around $70-100 high season. I paid $178. I really think this is August price gouging. Am So disappointed. I Was looking forward to romantic coastal getaway. Feel so ripped off.
The room does have a king bed, it does have a balcony, and it does have a view so that part is true. But I don't recommend it. Not for $178. So sad!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
BeachPrints, Public Relations Manager at Gold Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2017

So sorry for your bad experience goCaspian. We are very sorry that you were disappointed by your stay here. We typically receive very good reviews of our beds so am surprised by your comments. Guests before and after you have not made the same comments. Unfortunately, August is the high season and you will find up and down the coast that prices are higher. We have found ours to be very competitive especially compared to the north coast region. In Gold Beach we are one of the lest expensive - surprising when you consider that you'll experience the highest and best ocean views in town.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

I made the reservation online. One king size bed and $178 with an ocean view. It was a "ground floor unit with a 3rd floor view". All sorts of amenities were listed; a beachfront open air spa, easy beach access, manicured lawns, continental breakfast...the list went on. The pictured room shows a beautiful view, large, clean room, etc. OK
What I got was a room that hasn't seen painting or decoration since the pictures were taken in 195?. Worn, outdated, a TV on a wall pointed at another wall (not the bed) the dune plants have grown to the extent the ocean is no longer visible, the door to the deck (whose angle made one feel one might slide into the parking lot below) is not lockable, the closet space was nil, the bed was so high in the air as to make it difficult to get into and out of, the walls were dented and damaged, no hot water in the sink, the door to the bathroom hardly close with anyone inside (difficult to sidestep the toilet). The king bed had been made with queen sized sheets as nothing could have been tucked in. When I called to ask about the water I was required to use my own phone as the room phone will not call the desk. I was told that the water in the tub was hot ... I should use that to wash my face with toweling that was so thin one can see through it. "Information" 3-ring binder on table was chewed and in pieces telling about tsunami warning procedures and nothing else helpful.The entry door could not be bolted unless one weighs enough to push hard enough to slide the bolt into the plate which was held onto the frame with one small screw. There is no air unless one wishes to sleep with the curtains open and the deck door open.
Having paid $178 to sleep there was anger producing. I was appalled and mad at myself to have paid that amount for something my friends paid $99 for because they had essentially the same view and easier access to the beach. To access the beach I would have had to walk out and around the entire motel, down an equivilent 3 flights and then about 3 blocks to the sand. My friends said the spa was not usable and looked nothing like any picture...nor did the other outdoor 'amenities'.
I overheard the (maybe)16 year old housekeeper state to her counterpart, as I was leaving, that this (was) first time she'd ever had to change all the sheets!
Oh, I forgot one of the best parts... I was charged and made to sign the slip prior to receiving a key to the room because "they have REAL door keys and it must be returned to them in the morning at checkout or I would be charged for it". Now I know why!

Room Tip: The signs in the room saying to "walk softly" for the sake of my neighbors. There is no noise abatement within the walls, ceiling or floors.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
BeachPrints, Public Relations Manager at Gold Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017

Susan - thank you for your review. Much of it is beyond belief! I can address a few items of fact - the Gold Beach Inn is not three blocks from the sand. I would implore you to take a look at the location of the building using an online satellite view mapping system - you'll see that the distance to the sand is in reality very short. And most definitely the ocean can be seen stretching for miles into the distance - to the horizon. We do still use actual room keys - we are not a traditional chain hotel - which many guests have agreed adds to the charm of their visit. I am very sorry that your experience was not as intended.

Reviewed August 4, 2017

I've been coming to this place for 25+ years. The setting is delightful, the rooms comfortable (recliner chairs!) and spacious, the staff is friendly. But this visit was a little frustrating: they messed up my reservation not once but twice (no computers at the front desk!?) ; the coffee maker didn't work (but it was only Folgers coffee anyway - really folks?) Seems like the owners are slacking on upkeep a bit. Hope they bring it up a notch!

Room Tip: the second floor is actually the ground floor. 2nd and 3rd floors have best ocean views.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you have been a guest for so many years and invite you back for your next visit. I am so sorry about the problem with the reservation - as you know - not a normal experience. We will also replace the defective coffee maker - thanks for making us aware of that. Gold Beach is in a bit of a time capsule which adds to it's allure - in this case we are still using the old-fashioned card check-in system and actual keys to the rooms. I know that many enjoy the charm of days past...one of the reasons that many residents choose to live in Gold Beach. Perhaps you will consider the move yourself? It sounds like after 25 years you appreciate the area as much as locals do.

Reviewed August 3, 2017

We recently stayed at The Gold Beach Inn for two nights. After reading numerous reviews, we decided the pros outweighed the cons. We were hoping for the best! Check-in was quick and the staff was friendly. Upon entering our room (102), we quickly noticed that the room was in dire need of maintenance. The carpet was filthy and the walls were dirty. As others have said, we did not want to walk barefoot on the carpet, it was that bad! The bathroom floor had a soft spot that you sank on each time you stepped on it. Subfloor might be rotten. The bathtub was missing its stopper as well as one of the sinks.The first six television channels did not have audio. There was no air circulation in the room and there was a stale, musty odor. Since this is a first floor room, we did not feel comfortable leaving the windows open at night for ventilation.

Pros: friendly staff, comfortable bed, hot tubs, quick access to the beach, coffee pot, refrigerator
Cons: lack of cleanliness, lack of maintenance and upkeep, missing sink/tub stoppers, dirty walls, stained carpets

Unfortunately, we would not recommend The Gold Beach Inn, especially considering the room rate and the shabby condition of the place.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that the room arrangement was not to your liking but are glad that you did acknowledge the "pros" of your stay. Your concerns will be addressed - thank you. I have personally stayed in the '100' level rooms and always felt very comfortable leaving the windows open for ventilation. Happily, Gold Beach is one of the lowest crime areas in the State. We hope you'll give us another try.

Reviewed August 3, 2017

This facility is built into a cliff. The entire “second level” (rooms beginning with #101) faces the ocean but has its back against that cliff. To access a room on the “second level” you drive downhill, climb a set of stairs, and traverse a walkway (which the establishment misleadingly calls a "shared balcony"), passing rooms until you reach the one they’ve assigned you.

Now, each of these “second level” rooms has only that ocean-facing window (the one people are walking past) for view—or for ventilation (a small, screened slider at either end of the lower quarter of the window). The building’s back is against the cliff, remember?

So, picture this: you are inside one of these rooms, looking toward the ocean, and here comes someone up the stairs walking right toward you and looking into your room as he climbs. Your only option at that point, if you care about privacy, is to close the curtains. There goes your view—and your ventilation.

Congratulations: you have just rented a room with what this establishment calls “a shared balcony.” If it’s summer, you have paid a total of $145.79 for this privilege.

Sound like fun? Naah, I didn’t think so either.

Room Tip: Avoid "second level" unless you want to rent a cave.
Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

So sorry that the common balcony experience was not to your liking. As a motel, our rooms are not accessed via an indoor corridor - and the lowest floors do share a common balcony which other guests need to traverse to access their rooms. The upper floor rooms do offer private balconies and higher ocean views. These lower rooms do offer the nearest and best beach access and the lowest prices.