“Beautiful property with great views of the river”

Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
bay area, ca
“Beautiful property with great views of the river”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We recently stayed in Hood River during our road trip in Oregon. We are so glad we picked the Hood River Inn because of it's location, amenities and the property itself. We were initially concerned about its proximity to town, but it was not an issue at all. In fact, both nights we walked to town from the property with ease and enjoyed the views along the Marina.

We had a river view room and they are NOT kidding when they say the river is your backyard. We were on the ground floor and walked out from our sliders right onto the path by the river. Beautiful! The room itself is decorated beautifully and felt roomy.

The coupons they gave us for breakfast and discounts for dinner were a bonus. The food was delicious.

The location also had a gas station, Starbucks and a McDonalds for those in need.

We will definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: It's worth it to pay the extra for the river view rooms if you're a "views" type o...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Chipnchair,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am thrilled you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, our restaurant and the riverfront walking path to town. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Hood River.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Sheboygan
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Plus.Hood River OR. We had reserved a river view room a few weeks before. When we arrived everyone was very pleasant, the clerk(Lily) gave us two options for rooms, both with a river view. The first room was a beautiful room, king bed, but only had a picture window. The second room was in the older wing, while the room was ok and it had patio doors to the outside ground level, you had a share a patio with the next room. After looking at both rooms we went back to the desk to see what else might be available. Because they were not full and we were staying 3 nights she gave us an upgrade to one of the new rooms. Lovely room with patio doors to the 3rd floor private balcony. It couldn't have been nicer. We had breakfast included, which was a cooked to order great meal. The only thing we didn't like was having to go to the front desk for pool towels. Our room was near the pool, but quite a walk to the front desk, so usually we only took the included robes from our room.

Room Tip: River View is the best.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Barb L,

I am so pleased you chose the Hood River Inn for your three day trip to the Columbia River Gorge. I am glad you enjoyed the ambiance of our rooms, dining in Riverside and our helpful staff. It is great that we were able to upgrade you to one of our new rooms. Thanks for your suggestion regarding pool towels, we now have them available at the pool as well as at the front desk. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Hood River.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed here for an evening on our way to Walla Walla, WA. We were very pleased with the staff, the rooms and the overall stay. The rates are very reasonable and even includes a fantastic breakfast overlooking the Columbia River. Its a great place to stay.

1 Thank Dots75
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Dots75,

Thanks for making us a stopover on your way to Walla Walla. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed our great location, restaurant, and our comfortable rooms. We cannot wait to have you back for another stay.
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I was very pleased with your staff, specially with a young lady,which I was sure to catch her name, lily. She answered all of my questions, provided me with a lovely room that fit my accomadations (next to the pool and a view of the river and bridge). She new exactly what she's doing in a quick and prompt manner! My room was very spacious and orderly clean! Not only that but the restaurant and lounge was Exquisite! Prices were resonable and free breakfast was delightful! I will be sure to come again and definitely recommend this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for lily!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Gerald W, Thanks so much for the highest overall rating, and for recommending our hotel and restaurant to other readers. We do strive to provide a complete experience and I’m really proud of our on-site restaurant, Riverside, as well as our shoreline pool, spa and fitness center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again! I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to Lily, we too think she is a joy to work with. Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Seattle
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This hotel is already highly rated, and what can I add? I reserved a room with no view and one bed. When I arrived, the desk clerk offered me my choice of floors. I asked what she would pick and she said the 3rd floor with a view of the river. Fine with me!

The room had two queen beds, two counter-and-sink combinations. The view was really nice, and the north-facing windows let in light without direct glare from the sun. The restaurant breakfast, included in the room rate, was vastly superior to the standard fare at most hotels.

I was treated like a VIP by everybody, and I have to struggle to find anything to criticize. But as a former journalist, I can ALWAYS find something that's not perfect. Here goes: The microwave oven, which I used to make popcorn, sits atop a small refrigerator. The top of the fridge is not flat, and the result is that it's very awkward to open the microwave door. I think this could be fixed pretty easily, and I'm surprised that they haven't done so.

I like to come to Hood River a few times each year, and this is now firmy my first-choice place to stay.

Room Tip: My room was in the West Wing, and I was very pleased. If you can get a river-facing room, go for it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear 44Boppa,

Thank you for your kind review, It is always great to hear from a seasoned traveler like yourself and especially to exceed one's expectations. We look forward to your next visit and in the meantime I will look into a solution for the microwave issue you mentioned.
Eastsound, WA
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights here in May and loved it.
We could open the curtains for a view of the river and open the balcony glass door for fresh air. We could not hear traffic, except there were some “clanking” metal plates on the bridge, in the distance, they were not so loud that we couldn’t sleep.
The room was clean. I didn’t find a single hair in the bathroom!!! And well designed.
The staff are lovely, attentive, friendly and professional. I ordered from the included breakfast menu, and my husband ordered from the main menu. I really like the flexibility, and if you have to keep to a budget there’s plenty to choose from on the included menu. And, as they accept well-behaved dogs… We can visit more often. And we will. Great hotel, in a really lovely area with something for everyone.
JanC.OrcasWa

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Interstate if,like us, you're a light sleeper.
Dear JanC,

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I am pleased you enjoyed our river front location, our comfortable rooms and the served guest breakfast. I especially appreciate your comments about our attentive and friendly staff! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This property has waterfront aspects that are exceptionally appealing. It is strung out along the Columbia River very near the Hood Canal Bridge. Frankly, we were not bothered by the sound and as a matter of fact, found it intriguing to watch the traffic pass over the wide river. We stayed in the older (West) wing facing the river. If you can afford it, choose the riverview because the view up and down the Columbia is stunning and memorable. It is the older wing that has balconies in all the riverfront units. The newer East Wing, while it has a lot going for it, only has balconies on the third floor. This is considered the "concierge" level and was a bit beyond our budget for this trip. Our own room was large and comfortable, however, and wanted for nothing. There were lots of pillows and very nice bedding, a table, a desk and chair, enough room for two queen beds. The floor to ceiling window opened on to the balcony where there were several chairs. The bathroom was large enough for a sink with a nice cabinet in with the commode, and then another sink and cabinet in the outer area. This is particularly convenient for a couple since we could each spread out our own toiletries. Towels were white and nice. Everything was clean although this wing does show it's age a bit. Nothing that I can point to specifically, and it certainly didn't detract from the pleasure of my stay. The major downside (if you even call it that) is that it is a pretty long haul to the pool and exercise room, which is on the easternmost end of the property. The pool area is stunning. The water is warm and the pool is long enough for laps. This is a serious pool. Next to the pool is a large (about 12'-15' square, I would guess) hot tub which is dramatically situated and allows for excellent views of the river and the gorge. The water is clean and hot. There is an indoor hot tub as well, just as large and luxurious in a floor-to-ceiling glass walled unit, the adjacent section of which contains the exercise equipment. This room contained a stack of clean towels as well as a cooler full of water with a generous layer of lemon slices. The indoor hot tub room housed a large sauna as well. The restaurant also faces the river, with these same large floor to ceiling windows. There are tables as well as comfortable booths all of which have views. An outside deck is decorated with hanging flower baskets and canopies offer protection against too much sun or occasional drizzle. At check-in, we were given a coupon for 50% off the second entree and free breakfast coupons. There is a selection of "real" breakfasts -- biscuits and gravy, French toast, oatmeal, Continental fare, and we ordered the scrambled egg breakfast with choice of excellent bacon or a most wonderful sage infused local sausage. Thick sliced multi grain toast was included with this choice, as well as coffee. We ordered a bowl of fresh cold fruit on the side that was very refreshing and reasonably priced.

This Best Western Plus offers a stellar place to observe and enjoy it's wonderful Columbia Riverside and Gorge view location at a price that is not prohibitive. The hotel is clean, the room is large and well furnished, the grounds beautifully groomed and landscaped, the pool area dramatic, the restaurant convenient and very nice. Throughout, the personnel were helpful, pleasant and accommodating.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies and some don't so ask. You can be nearer the bridge (West wing) or ne...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diamondqueen
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear DiamondQueen,

Our location on the river is truly is one of the best Colum,bia Gorge experiences and we are thrilled to be so close to the magic. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our Riverside restaurant, as well as our other amenities during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town. Please give me a call and we will arrange for a room for you on the conciege level, we appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review of our property.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hood River
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River
31.5 km away
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Hood River Inn? Share your experiences!