“One of a Kind place, I will always stay at this motel when visiting Hood River.”

Sunset Motel Hood River
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I'm injured alone in an unfamiliar beautiful town. I book my two week stay at the Sunset Motel Hood River. It's quiet the beds are extremely comfortable, the rooms are clean, the wifi is great and the staff is lovely. Unfortunate for me I had to undergo Knee reconstructive surgery at the Providence Hood River Hospital. After the operation, the motel staff helped me out so much. If I needed Ice to reduce the swelling in my knee, if I needed groceries since I had trouble walking, If I needed someone to move my bags for me and I never asked anyone for help. They all offered assistance. They truly wanted me to get better from my surgery. It's not a fancy Hotel like the W hotel it's just simple and felt like home. It was like having a family away from home. I love how there's a microwave and a large refrigerator. So you can store plenty of food and beverages and reheat food whenever you like. The view from your window in your room is of the surrounding mountains. It's about a 15 minute walk to downtown which is full of wine tasting rooms and there are a couple of micro breweries that serve great beers. Across the road there is a supermarket that has plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and a good supply of coconut water, and exotic raw juice's as well as what's typically inside a supermarket. Besides the convenience, the staff, and the room this motel is also extremely affordable. So when you plan your trip you can use all the money you save to do outdoor activities rather than on an overpriced hotel where you only spend your time there when you're sleeping. I would recommend this motel to anyone who needs a comfy place to stay while enjoying all the fun activities the Gorge has to offer!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank jimenezmv
There are newer reviews for Sunset Motel Hood River

Reviewed 24 May 2011

This little 14 room motel was wonderful!! Snow-capped Mt Adams in view, excellent room rate with AAA discount, and a clean, comfortable room. One of the best nights' stay in our 13 day trip.

Room Tip: Use AAA discount.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bogeyR
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Basic motel, extremely clean, convenient to get to, and the price was fine. The rooms were VERY clean and the beds were so comfortable. I haven't slept this good in a long time, and certainly not this good in a motel. I had noted a review about Margaret that wasn't real positive and I have to say that Margaret was nice and alot of help. My son was meeting us and taking us to the Full Sail Brewery for dinner. Margaret confirmed it was a good choice as well as mentioning other places. She was right, dinner was perfect. We had a great time in Hood River. I hope to get back to the area again and the Sunset is my lodging choice.

Room Tip: 1st floor room, opened to parking lot, was great!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank pataha
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The Sunset Motel's desk clerk is not friendly (as noted in other reviews), but she's not at all hostile, either. She's just not a young, pretty, perky blonde who's been to a big corporation's charm school! Once you "get past" her, which is a bad choice of words, since it's easy, you find a very clean, well equipped room, with two comfortable queen beds, sparkling clean modern bathroom, micrwave, mini-fridge, and desk. Our view of Mt. Adams was beautiful, and the little garden below was a nice touch. I would stay here again. It's a lot cheaper than others nearby, and is very clean. A great value. Across from Mickey Dees and Safeway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gmaneis
Reviewed 12 July 2010

On February 15, 2010, I made a reservation with Margaret at the Sunset Motel for 2 adults and 1 dog for 1 night with a check in date of July 10. The reservation was very easy to make as she still had all of our information on file from our last stay in 2009.
On June 14, I spoke to Margaret to confirm the July 10 reservation. She said she had us down for a pet room for that night.

July 10, I went to check in. Margaret looked at me, looked at our vehicle and said we had a dog. I said yes. She then told me she didn’t have any pet rooms available and we couldn’t stay. Every place we saw in Hood River was booked full. This was night 16 of a 17-day, 16-night road trip. We were hot and tired. I had a splitting headache. I was not happy and in no mood to get told we couldn’t stay in the room we had reserved almost 5 months ago and guaranteed on a credit card!
I told her that when I made the reservation months ago she knew we were staying with a dog. She just kept telling me there were no pet rooms available and she couldn’t move anyone so late in the day. Each time she’d say that I’d get a little madder until I finally just told her I didn’t care, the reservation was made months ago for a pet room and she was going to honor the reservation.
She asked me if I knew when the reservation had been made. Luckily I am super organized and have a little thing I print out before we go on a trip that includes all the lodging information, including when the reservation was made, which employee made the reservation, when I confirm the reservation and which employee confirms it. I came back in with it and showed it to her. When she saw the information she decided to “do us a favor” and let us stay there. She also blamed the screw up on some person who filled in for her while she was gone for a while sometime in the past. She said the only reason she could do us this “favor” was because we only booked for 1 night. If we had reserved a pet room for 2 or more nights, she wouldn’t have let us stay. As I was turning to go she told me “that dog has to be on a leash when it’s not in the room.” I told her we knew that because we’d stayed there with her last year.

She put us in Room 2 on the 1st floor. It was just like the pet room we had the year before. It was clean but by no means quiet this year. The motel was full when we stayed on the 1st floor last year and we heard no other guests. This year we heard doors slamming, the people above us stomped around a lot and there was lots of noise from the parking lot.

Around 9:15 that night, the air conditioner started having problems and the office was dark and locked up. Around 10:00 p.m. it started shutting itself off and turning back on and we still couldn’t get hold of anyone in the office.
We turned the unit to fan. Even the fan would only run for a few seconds before shutting off. We ended up having to shut the unit off completely.
I got our tiny fan out of the vehicle but the wind was blowing from the wrong direction to get any air unless we opened the room door so the room got pretty toasty.
At 11:45 p.m., we turned the unit back on and it put out cold air again but it took 2 hours for the room to cool back off even with our fan to help circulate air.
At 5:45 a.m. it started shutting itself off again.

5:45 a.m. was also when the people upstairs started stomping around and when room doors started slamming. The doors slammed so hard our headboard shook.

The bed was comfortable enough for the 4 hours we managed to sleep but the mattress pad wouldn’t stay so we ended up sleeping on the bare mattress.

We left well before the office opened up so I left a long note about the AC unit and our displeasure with this stay in the key card envelope along with both key cards and left everything in the room. The keys are supposed to be returned to the office but neither one of us saw a key drop.

We ended up paying $119.00 for a room and $15.00 for a pet fee ($144.71 total with tax) for a queen bed, microwave, small fridge, tiny coffee maker and a bathroom at the Sunset Motel. For that price we got treated rudely when the motel made a mistake with our pet room reservation, had an AC unit that stopped working for a while and had a miserable night with only 4 hours of sleep. Not once did Margaret apologize for the motel’s mistake and instead kept telling me she was doing us a favor by letting us stay.
The night before we paid $119.00 for a room and $15.00 for a pet fee ($150.08 total with tax) for a 2 bedroom suite with granite countertops, a kitchen, dining area, living area with leather furniture and a large bathroom in the Spokane area. For that price we got a very warm welcome, free long distance, free guest laundry, guest-use grills and free pastries the next morning.

Needless to say, we will never go back to the Sunset Motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank msdj
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Worst hotel experience I have ever encountered!! The staff was nosy and creepy! Honestly would not stay there again for 10 dollars! Found 5 big spiders in the room!! YUCK!!! Stay Away from there!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank DevDallas
Reviewed 15 June 2010

My husband and I had a very pleasant stay at the Sunset Motel. Check in was fast and the woman on duty was very friendly. The room, while very simple, was clean and the decor had been updated.

The area is very quiet at night because it's not in the center of town, which could be a downside for someone wanting to be closer to the shops. However, the center of town is only a minute or two drive away.

Overall, very pleased with our stay. And the price made it even better.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple