“Tana Is The Real Deal at the Real Deal Cafe!”
Review of Real Deal Cafe

Real Deal Cafe
Ranked #30 of 316 Restaurants in Medford
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 9, 2018

Although I have been traveling to Medford monthly for years, this past trip was the first time I tried Real Deal Café. What a pleasure!

It’s an unassuming place, but don’t let that fool you. Walk through the door and you will be made to feel like you just arrived home. I was fortunate enough to have Tana as my server, and like the name of the restaurant, Tana is the Real Deal. She treated me like I was special, and made her job of overseeing about a dozen diners, seem effortless.

Now for the food:
During my first morning visit I tried their special: Banana Pancakes with bacon. I was served two heavenly, fluffy pancakes, each about the circumference of my head! They must have been cooked in clarified butter because each had a very thin ring of crunchy goodness on the edge of each pancake. I always look for this attribute in an excellent pancake.

Each pancake contained enough soft, delicious pieces of banana that I was almost assured of getting one in each bite. Not to be outclassed by the pancakes themselves, this restaurant will serve you regular butter, but opt for their butter infused with maple and orange. It added a bit more complexity to the flavors in the pancake and was a perfect addition. I liked my breakfast so much I had to come back.

The next morning, I was again greeted by Tana who remembered me and brought my coffee and half and half to the table just as I sat down. They offer not only half and half, but also milk, or vanilla flavored half and half, depending on your liking. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they also offer soy, almond, or skim milk as well.

I ordered off the menu and settled for their chicken fried stake which also came with hash browns and two eggs. I was not to be disappointed!

I ordered my has browns crispy and was rewarded with a slab of perfectly cooked, crispy on the top, soft and flavorful in the middle, hash browns to die for. I don’t know what kind of chickens they get their eggs from, but I received a huge portion of scrambled eggs. Like hash browns, I am picky about my scrambled eggs. Not undercooked, and not overcooked. These were just right. The only problem was, there was just too much for me to eat before they started to turn cold, and I don’t like cold scrambled eggs.

But the best part of the meal was my steak. Not too thin, and not too thick. It was moist and flavorful on the inside and covered in a very crispy, crunchy envelope of absolute goodness and smothered with gravy that was perfectly smooth with just enough spice and full of large pieces of sausage. Everything was served hot and delicious.

And almost as if Tana had a sixth sense, she was constantly back at my table to refill my coffee just as it got past the half full point.

You pay at the register which overlooks their kitchen. Again, everything was clean and sparkling. Everything was neat and in it’s place, and the folks in the kitchen went about performing their magic as confidently and efficiently as Tana served the customers out front.

If you want a great breakfast cooked to perfection by an excellent staff and served by an amazing server, you really need to try the Real Deal Café, as it is the Real Deal!

Reviewed January 26, 2018

So I was in the mood to try a new spot and wanted something like a chile rellano. Decided to try the Real Deal. Easy to find. Handicap parking right up front. Booths and tables. Open kitchen. Immediately greeted and seated by cheerful waitress.

Breakfast and lunch menus with traditional diner items - eggs, potatoes, scrambles, omelets, sandwiches, chili and daily specials. They are happy to do their best to accommodate dietary restrictions. I am on a carbohydrate restriction and they were able to create a fresh, satisfying, and delicious meal!

The closest thing to chile rellanos was an item not found on the menu, AMIGAS. Amigas is a scramble with eggs, onions, cheese, poblano peppers for a little kick, and corn tortillas. I chose fruit for my side - fresh blueberries, raspberries and three slices of sweet watermelon. It was muy delicioso!

My mom is a spud lady so I was surprised she didn't order the potatoes. Instead she opted for the lunch special which was a pork loin scramble. I don't think she understood the server's description as she looked surprised when the plate was set down in front of her. It was mainly chunks of pork loin mixed in with hash browns. It looked quite tasty. The portion size was generous. The only unusual thing was a large dollop of pesto in the center of the scramble. The pesto was delicious but didn't seem to be the right garnish.

As far as the service, it was excellent. Our server was energetic and friendly. She checked in with us after we had a moment to taste everything and several times afterwards to make sure everything was to our satisfaction without hovering.

The time from placing our order to its being served was under 20 minutes with the restaurant being at least half full. The hot items were served on warm plates, always a plus in my book!

Because I am a meticulous person, I couldn't help but notice the place could use a deep clean. Dust on the window blinds. Dust and fingerprints on the window sills. It looked as though someone had sneezed on the window behind my mom's head and it was hard not to look at it while I was eating. Windows, doors, and floor could use a good scrub. (Not a fan of dirt, grime or fingerprints folks.) To give credit, the ladies' room was clean and had handicap accessibility.

The dirt? Good food. Good portions. Good prices. Good service. After a good cleaning and it will be good to go!

Reviewed December 4, 2017

Our investigation of a place for Sunday Breakfast directed us to west Medford to try Real Deal. We arrived with a table open - this place is busy on Sunday mornings with lots of groups and families enjoying great service and great food. Coffee from Griffin Creek Roasters is served and worthy of many refills. An extensive menu from small appetite to 4 egg omelets are offered. the a hot to the table and very well presented. Both of us had breakfasts to include link and patty sausages. The menu recognizes these meats from Taylor's Sausage in Cave Junction - very good. Service was polite and prompt and again the coffee refills were dependable.

Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

Had lunch there on Friday. Their special was tuna melt, my favorite. It’s one of the best in town. Wait staff was Fast and friendly.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

Old school breakfast menu with plenty of variety to choose from, great service, good food, well prepared. Just what we were looking for ~ it met our needs, exceeded our expectations!

Been to Real Deal Cafe? Share your experiences!