“Decent”

TownePlace Suites Medford
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The good: The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was spacious and the kitchen was very useful. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a large bathtub and a second closet, which was a little bizarre but would be useful if you were traveling with a family. The location was also excellent - it was near the freeway (which I couldn't hear) and near a big shopping area with lots of stores and restaurants.
The bad: The people who stayed in the room before me had cooked something very fragrant (it smelled like bbq sauce), and the smell never really went away. They had openend the windows to air it out, but the smell was quite stubborn. Also, my room overlooked the street and it was pretty noisy, even late at night. I don't think this would be a problem if you had a room on the interior side or perhaps on the third floor.
Overall, this was a decent hotel and the kitchen in the room would be very nice if you were staying for a while. The staff was great, and the rooms were overall pretty nice. I would stay here again, but would request a room on the parking lot side rather than the street side.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CaliforniaReviewr
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Medford

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Great value, but as a business traveller, it's just not the place for me. Suite was small, old tv, no full length mirror. I'll try somewhere else next time I'm in Medford.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank bway_carter
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We have stayed at this property about 6 times now - and after our last experience felt compelled to leave a review.
Upsides:
- Convenient Fwy access, near a Fred Meyer, Starbucks and Peets
- Pet friendly
- Pool
- Reasonably priced (if you can accept the "downsides")
- (Modest) breakfast included
- Rooms have a kitchen (which can also be a downside)
Downsides:
- 4 out of our 6 visits we were forced to complain or switch rooms due to the noise of neighboring rooms. This is a very family friendly property - and it seems parents love to let their kids jump on the beds, run down the halls, etc (even at midnite!) The walls seem poorly insulated with respect to noise. When making a reservation, REQUEST AN UPPER LEVEL - and call the morning of your arrival to confirm that you are on the 3rd floor - if they cannot guarantee an upper level I would strongly advise staying elsewhere. There is another Marriott in the same parking lot which is slightly more expensive, but if you don't have pets, this is a great alternative.
- On one occassion we had to request a different room because of a strong curry odor in the room. And on more than one occassion there was an almost overwhelming air sanitizer odor - turning on the A/C fan helped somewhat with that.

Summary: for around $100/night you can't expect perfection, but I do expect a reasonably quiet room - everything else is bonus in my opinion. I will not stay here again unless I'm guaranteed an upper level and I need a pet friendly property.

Room Tip: Request upper level (3rd floor) if you want to sleep - the walls are thin!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScottM_11
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Nice, new and clean. Staff at the desk is casual and friendly and very helpful. Parking is easy and hotel is located in the same complex as the Springhill Suites and just down the road from Harry and David and Fred Meyers. We have two kids and a dog and stayed in the 1 bedroom unit at $99/night. No rollaways available so used the cushions from the sofa pull-out bed and made a bed for our 8 year old daughter. Receptionist willingly assembled an extra set of bedding for us to use. Smoking areas have been set up away from the entrance so that doesn't seem to be an issue now as mentioned by another reviewer. Pool is small but nice and clean, and seemed to be well enjoyed by the guests. Pet area is convenient and accesible by a secure side entrance. Lots of nice landscaping for Fido. Our room was quiet but we may not have had anyone in the adjacent rooms. I could hear people talking in their rooms as i walked down the hallways so it's possible it could be noisy when crowded.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CK36
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed here when we bought our son to visit SOU. I'm a clean freak and hate going to dusty dirty hotels. This one was clean!! We stayed in a room with a queen bed, small kitchen and nice size bath with a closet. Wifi was great to have. The only problem was the inconsiderate people getting ice at 2am. Breakfast was basic (cereal, milk, fruit, oatmeal etc. Not like the Springdale suites (the sister property across the street). Either place will be my choices. Oh I forgot it's only 5-6 minutes from Southern Oregon University.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed here 2 nights. We requested a rollaway, but were informed when we checked in that there were none. If I had known that when I booked we probably woud have stayed elsewhere. The hotel was really clean, looked new. They have a small outdoor pool. They allow pets, but you would not know from how clean the place is. Front desk staff was so-so. No rollaway, and when we wanted to buy some advil they were pretty dismissive. Otherwise they were friendly. But the walls in our room were paper thin! I know this is a common problem in newer hotels, but I really felt like our neighbors were in the room with us! At 7:30 on a Saturday morning (not the crack of dawn, but I was travelling with teens who like to sleep late!), our neighbors' dogs started howling. I couldn't believe it. Obviously, the dogs had been left alone in the room while their owners went to breakfast. This got other dogs in the hotel barking and howling. I called the front desk to see if anything could be done. They acted like I was being difficult but said they'd try to take care of it. After about 30 min, the dogs did quiet down, but we had already decided to get out of our room. I realize it is not the hotel's fault that the dogs were barking, but they could have done more to get the owners to take responsibility for their pets. Also, I think they could have appologized. After all, if the hotel had some sound proofing we would not have been quite so disturbed. I won't stay there again. There are many options in Medford.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank VancWash
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel was perfect for our trip to Crater Lake. Our flight from LA arrived at 11pm and the hotel sent a taxi to get us and they paid for it!! This was awesome as I was traveling with a child. They were in a great location and the staff was very knowledgeable about local wineries and places to visit. The staff recommended the ScienceWorks Museum in nearby Ashland and the kids loved it!!!! We also went to Crater Lake NP, Emigrant Lake, and the Oregon Caves.from this hotel. Lost a star for no restaurant on site but they have several places within a reasonable walking distance. Also, they share a parking lot with a Springhill Suites (also a Marriott property) that has a shuttle. Ask nicely...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends