“Good Food”
Review of Galice Resort

Galice Resort
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Merlin
Description: Galice Resort is the Rogue River area's most centralized, most recognized resort. For over 33 years, the Thomason family has offered guests the best in Rogue River lodging, dining, entertainment, rafting, rentals, shuttles and much more. The Resort is conveniently located just a 20-minute drive west of Grants Pass, Oregon.
Reviewed March 15, 2017

Great place to stop for lunch. Eat outside on the deck overlooking the scenic Roque River. Can be slow service in the summer because they are busy. Have a drink, relax and watch the people rafting down the river.

Reviewed March 13, 2017

Nice atmosphere, But had to wait forever for our food and when it came to us it was cold. most of us just settled for our cold fish tacos but not my husband. Waitress was nice enough to bring another plate at no charge But it was just as cold! She offered to microwave it but lettuce and salsa don't do well in the microwave. My daughter ordered a bowl of chili for $7 and it was definitely straight out of a can! No one in our party was impressed. It is the only restaurant past Hellsgate canyon so be prepared to pay for overpriced mediocre food or pack your own.

Reviewed January 17, 2017

A great place to go, sit on the river and have a good hamburger. In the summer they often have live music and a dance floor on weekends. Family friendly.

Reviewed August 22, 2016

I was prepared to like this place. But it didn't work out that way. My wife and I invested a couple of days of our vacation, several meals, and a few hundred dollars in our experience at the Galice Resort, including cabins and meals both before and after our multiday Rogue River rafting trip, and a few souvenirs.

The evening we returned to "civilization" after rafting, we ate dinner (simple, fried food), and had just finished dessert. The CW band was getting started, I had gone through my rafting photographs on my camera, and was reading a newspaper on my Kindle to catch up on the news. My wife was emailing a friend to tell them we were off the river. We had made friends with the people at the next table who were about to start their Rogue River trip the next day. We were feeling relaxed and happy. The restaurant was mostly empty, but the music created a lively atmosphere.

The manager/owner appeared at our table and asked my wife and me if we ever talked to each other. I thought she was kidding, and I joked that we don't talk, we just email each other. The manager/owner glared at me and said "you're out of here in fifteen minutes."

What??!! I was so startled, I didn't know what to say. My wife thought she was kidding at first, but here was no mistaking the intent of the statement, although the reason for the hostility was elusive. We sat there for another minute (14 minutes left), looked at each other, and left the restaurant, going back to our overheated cabin to sit by ourselves.

The hostility was unexpected, and the whole experience was quite a downer after an exhilarating raft trip. It was the first and only time I have been thrown out of any establishment, and the reason is still unclear, but what is clear is that you don't argue with this woman. On the positive side, she was the only rude person we met during our two week trip to Oregon and Northern California. However, she had an oversized impact on our enjoyment of the trip. My advice to those considering staying overnight in a hot cabin or eating greasy food at the Galice Resort is to instead chose some standard accommodations available in nearby Grant's Pass. Don't chance an unpleasant encounter with the unfriendly folks at Galice Resort.

1  Thank Outdoorsman12345
Reviewed August 22, 2016

The owner Deb does a nice job with this highly seasonal business. There is very little traffic for 8 months out of the year but stays slammed all summer. The food is what you would expect, nothing too fancy but very solid, they do have rib and steamer clam specials. Mostly burger and sandwiches etc though. I highly recommend staying in the Riverview House which is in my opinion far superior to the others. They tend to have music on Friday and Saturday nights with a lively atmosphere during the summer. Their rafts and inflatable kayaks are high quality SOTAR and life jackets mostly NRS BIgHorn V's which are top of the line.

Overall, probably the best full service rafting, lodging, dining experience in western Oregon.