“Delightful Anniversary Dinner”

JJ Ho Cafe International
Ranked #43 of 120 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Description: Chef Ho is an international chef with a lifelong career in the restaurant business. He started as a child in his father's seafood restaurant in Hong Kong. He apprenticed in restaurants of various cuisines throughout the Pacific Northwest, becoming the chef in his own small bistro in Seattle before an Excetive Chef in major five star hotels in Hong Kong and China.
Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

We took a chance and stopped in to check out this relative newcomer to the Newport area and...oh my, are we glad we did! The owner/chef has impressive credentials and is very friendly. From the fresh bread to the last drop of wine-- it was a such a wonderful meal! The crab - stuffed mushroom appetizers, the clam chowder, the fresh tuna with mango salsa, and the prawns and scallops with cheese - stuffed tortellini...all delicious! We hope to return again.

Reviewed August 25, 2017

We read the reviews online and they raved about the food and atmosphere. We arrived and there were no tables available, however a group of 6 said they were leaving so we waited. They thought the food was excellent as did another couple at the next table. However that was not our experience. I ordered the roast lamb and received a plate of tough, fatty ends of the roast covered in gravy. There was more fat than meat on the slices and what was eatable was dry and tough. We were not offered water, dessert or coffee. The owner was the only staff we saw. The vacated tables and counter were covered in dirty dishes. All in all a disappointing meal, especially in view of the online reviews and the comments from other diners.

2  Thank apadams2017
Reviewed July 31, 2017

I am so glad I read reviews before going here. When I saw location and exterior for myself I seriously questioned the reviews and if the food was even safe. I took my family inside anyway and the reviews I read were correct. The decor inside is simple but the food is divine. This place is perfect for a date night or gathering of friends who want to share some wine while savoring excellent food.
I did take some of my children with me. If your kids are the type to not expect a burger or nuggets as an alternative to the main menu then, by all means take them. My picky teen danced, to no music, in her seat as she ate her chicken, fettuccine alfredo. Had a lovely pork tenderloin topped with shrimp. My oldest son thoroughly enjoyed his while salmon. Oh! I have always hated clam chowder but the bowl that was brought to me went back empty.

Reviewed July 25, 2017

Visited JJ Ho and we were pleasantly surprised! For a third less than we paid at Blackfish Café in Lincoln City, this was a fancy dinner which rivaled Blackfish. Also, each meal is served with complimentary bread (really, really good warm and soft bread) and a cup of clam chowder. Chowder was delicious, not thick but loaded with clams!. I think a lot of the special entrees run out. I wanted to try the duck but it was out and I ordered the pork tenderloin with shrimp. It was delicious and there was plenty of sauce to sop up the pork. My husband ordered the Moroccan chicken. He liked the flavors but wasn't too crazy about the chicken. The chicken seemed like it was brined a tad long. My pork was definitely the star of the evening. Will come back again next time. It's a small place and reservations are recommended. Can't wait to try other dishes in the future. High quality food in the $20 range couldn't be any more perfect.

Reviewed July 12, 2017

White tablecloths, small intimate dining with excellent food and service. The owner greeted us, took our order, cooked, and served our food. We ordered the house merlot, the pork medallion special served with a flavorful sauce and the spaghetti bolognese. Our entrees came with a cup of delicious clam chowder and baked bread. The price for each meal was more than reasonable, and we look forward to returning when we are in town again. This was the best meal we have enjoyed on the Oregon Coast.