“worst hotel in a 10 week trip”

Knights Inn Newport
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Brighton, United Kingdom
“worst hotel in a 10 week trip”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Filthy carpet, chair so dirty we sat on our camping chairs, noisy dark room and breakfast a joke. Room stank of tobacco smoke (non-smoking room!) Bed and bathroom OK. Miles from downtown. Worst motel we encountered in 10 week trip across USA. We're easy going and not fussy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 186273Val

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Jeff and the staff are great people, they make you feel right at home.They have knowledge of the area and will try their best to help in any way they can. Looking forward to relaxing there again.It was clean and will be telling others. thanks!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Clean, safe, remodelled & modern motel run by really friendly couple, Geoff & Denny. (who were happy to chat to us at length on arrival about where we were from & about our trip. Geoff loved our accent!) Great, spacious room conveniently located. Would definitely recommend as a place to stay in Newport. Try Newport Cafe down the main street for a good feed in a locally run diner with an ever-growing menu! Thanks for a great stop-over in Newport!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My boyfriend and I decided to make a quick coast trip on our way back to Montana. We got to Newport around 9:30 PM and easily found the motel -- it is right smack dab in the middle of Newport. We paid cash, and since I don't have a credit card, we had to put down a $50 cash deposit -- if you are in the same situation, don't worry, you WILL get your deposit back!! It is just a safeguard against damages, and they are NOT trying to screw you over.

Our room had a king bed. It felt comfy and clean. The room was a nice size and had a little mini fridge in it, and I believe a microwave -- I could be wrong. The bathrooms had been redone and looked very nice! The only thing my boyfriend complained about was that the shower was a little low for someone who is 6'4", but that happens all the time for tall people :)

The couple who took over management in January are friendly and very helpful! It seems that they are putting a lot of work into this motel. Honestly, the previous reviews on this site from years past shocked me. Things must have been much different before this couple took over. It is certainly not gross or even close to one of the worst motels I have ever stayed it. Of course, you get what you pay for. There are no mints on your pillows or room service, but it IS a nice, comfortable motel that has everything that you need.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KCM1006
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 January 2011

My husband & I put a friend up in this hotel for a night, based upon the exterior, which appeared clean & in good repair, & the rate, which was very affordable. The room proved to be quite unclean, however: The carpet turned his socks black. He told us he had to wipe down the bathtub with hand sanitizer before using it. He slept on top of the bed, rather than use the sheets. He tried to call us re: the condition of the room, but the room phone was not working. He told us the dead bolt on the door was not operational either. He also said that other guests carousing upstairs had kept him awake for much of the night. All in all, it was a most unfortunate experience for him. Next time, we'll base a hotel selection for a friend on personal experience, AAA approval, or Trip Advisor recommendation.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Moenkopi

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed 26 April 2010

bed smelled and sagged 3-4 inches in middle...no wireless as ad vertised...paint comming off walls in several areas, stuffing comming out from under bed, shower door sprung and would not close, gap in front door jam, overal cleanliness poor

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank planb4
Bothell, WA
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Though i have written only one online review ever, I feel very compelled to write this review. I, my wife and my baby wanted to visit the Oregon coast. I looked at various motels in the internet, before i made my reservation at Newport bay Motel. Before making the reservation, I called Newport bay to clarify with them about some of the negative reviews that I was reading. They told me that there is a new management and they have made a lot of changes. I even told them that i have a baby, to ensure that the rooms are clean.
We arrived at the hotel, paid the room charge, and went to the room they allotted for us. But, the moment we entered the room, we were seeing filth all around. The carpet was the dirtiest that it can ever get. The sheets on the bed were very old, and we wondered if they had been washed. (They might have washed it, but I never would want to make my baby sleep on it, or even myself). The bathroom was dirty. The entire room was full of dust and dirt. I was wondering if one could ever rent such kind of room to another person. We immediately wanted to get out of there. Since it was the summer season, we were not sure if we will find another motel, so, we went out to look for any other motel nearby. We found a motel "America Inn and Suite” just a few yards away. We checked the room, and it was really pretty descent and the price was almost the same. When I told the situation that I am in, the person at the counter gave me all the discounts that i could get.
We immediately went back to Newport bay motel, and told them that the room is dirty and is not in a habitable condition, and we want to cancel our reservation. The guy at the counter told me that he cannot give back the money, and he will ask the owner about refund. We had used the bathroom once, so it was okay that they did not give us the money back. Though we are losing money, we really wanted to get out of the place as soon as possible. So, we did , and we stayed at the America Inn and Suites.
We thought to ourselves before making our motel reservation, "Its just going to be one night, and we will check out in the morning, so we don’t have to go to any fancy hotel", but sleeping in dust and dirt????????? that should not be the case while staynig in a motel.
So, I would like to ask everyone who is reading this review to avoid this motel. But, due to some other reasons, if you really want to book this motel, please check the room and make sure you are satisfied before you pay for the room.
I hope this review helps.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family