“Decent”
Review of Money Saver Motel

Money Saver Motel
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

For the price $75.68 total for two queen beds it wasn't overall decent. No DVD player but cable was provided. The room was clean but the bathroom had that old damp smell. The water in the shower fluctuates from really hot to cold.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

The grounds could sure use some updating to make it more appealing, but it's easy to find. Customer service was good. Checking in was easy. No problem there (I used hotels.com). The price was a little up there, but it is summer time and most of the hotels around are high priced too. The room itself smelled a little old, but was clean. Decent room. Bedding was out dated, but the bed itself was comfortable. The headboard and the exposed box frame needed a bit of cleaning and I was afraid of turning on the heater. I was afraid it would have started a fire There was a flat screen tv, microwave and mini fridge. The bathroom was very clean. The colors were a bit different, but I actually didn't mind it. There was no counter space at all. The hotel toiletries were not that great. If you are looking for just a place to rest your head this place will work for sure.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Finding a room on a Saturday in August is frustrating. We tried three other places, two completely full, the other not affordable. My husband spotted this one as we drove and I was not impressed with its outward appearance.
The woman who checked us in was welcoming and pleasant but the price, over 100US was rather more than the room was worth.
Although the room was clean, the bed comfortable, there is no in room coffee, no air conditioning and no complimentary breakfast. There is coffee in the motel office but not early enough for us as we left just after 6:30.

We were at the front on the upper level, the staircase was dark and dingy, the place old and although freshly painted, the bathroom mirror needed replacing as did the light fixture(both showing signs of age). One of the bedroom lamps badly needed dusting.

As the motel is right on Hwy 101, we needed to keep the window closed to minimize the traffic noise. Late at night it was quieter.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I paid 133 for this room. When quoted the price upon making the reservation, I realized this was a Sat night on the Oregon coast and rooms were hard to find. When checking into the room I requested downstairs as my husband has mobility issues. Was told no downstairs left. We accepted that and went to the upstairs room and had of course to climb stairs. I would have checked out immediately and requested my money back, but was very tired and did not know if any other rooms were available. There were no amenities except 2 very small soaps, and 2 pouches of shampoo. No hair dryer, no coffee, and no free breakfast for that kind of price. I have no complaints about the bed and bath as they were clean enough to stay. The carpet was filthy. Very obvious stains. The room was very small and had basically only walking room around the bed. You had some area at the end of the bed for a small table and two chairs. The TV was on a small table and was so low that you could not watch it from the bed without sitting up. The room was old and in need of a remodel. Normally you would probably pay in the range of 50 - 75 for this type of room. $133 to me is price gouging. I normally do not complain but to me paying this kind of money is a little much. I asked for senior discount at the desk upon check in and paid the same price I was quoted upon making reservation and did not say I was a senior at that time. I have stayed in much nicer hotels at the coast on a busy weekend for less.

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Penny T
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night at the close of our two week vacation. The place is older yet we'll maintained. Room had everything we needed for our one night. The noise from the room above was muffled yet quite noticeable. Thankfully they quieted down before midnight. Manager was friendly and obviously keeps a close eye on the place. This motel is very close to everything in Newport including the fantastic Oregon Coast Aquarium. I would stay again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I was a bit worried about the choice of our low budget motel initially as we drove up because it didn’t look that enticing from the outside. The lady at the counter was just okay; neither friendly nor unfriendly. We went into the room and were relieved because the bedding was clean, the showers were clean and everything in the room was functioning. We had a great night sleep. The room wasn’t outstanding but it was very reasonable for being the least inexpensive place in Newport. If you’d like a clean, comfortable and decent night’s sleep for a bargain rate, then by all means I recommend you stay here at the Money Saver Motel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We needed a place to stay the night.
Pros:
- it had separate bedroom, living, kitchen with couch, table - like an apartment.
- There was a extra fold up bed.
- There was a queen bed and another twin bed in the bedroom
- There was a closet in the bedroom
- kitchen had utensils, dishes, cook top, full sized refrigerator.
- TV's in living room and bedroom
- There was free WiFi but I didn't use it so I don't know how fast it was.
- it was cheaper than other motels but not by much

CONS:
- road noise from Hwy 101 all night.
- no A/C - you could open the two big windows BUT street light comes in and the living room window opening is right next to the door latch.
- bedroom space was tight
- walls are thin - can hear the neighbors quite easily
- the walkways are narrow
- bathroom color is hideous

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple