“Even great in Winter”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newport
usa
“Even great in Winter”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Traveled here from Cape Cod Massachusetts. Much nicer than any Atlantic ocean beachfront hotel room. Room overlooked Pacific Ocean. Had fireplace and mini kitchenette. Balcony over the beach. It was January and the view was best enjoyed from inside, but great sunsets just the same. At night you could see the fishing trollers on the horizon. Food and service at the restaurant was very good, at all times. Pool is in its own building, and was well lighted and heated, and full of kids, all the time. I would return here the next time I visit family in Newport. Yes, go here and enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: Just ask. I was told the rooms in the Main Building near lobby, pool, restaurant are timeshare unit...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
hallmarknewport, General Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
commentmaker – I appreciate you sharing your stay with us on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us. I’m unsure who told you we had timeshares but the entire property is owned by Hallmark Inns & Resorts. Thanks again for your review and we are anxiously awaiting your next visit from Cape Cod.

Ric Rabourn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed at the Inn at Wecoma in Lincoln City and ended up leaving to go to this one. Much better choice for our needs. Clean, good towles and the beds were comfortable. Staff is rude but the rooms are good.

Room Tip: Ignore the rude staff and you will be okay.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Tizmyn – Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry to hear that our staff was not up to our usual standards. I have shared your review with our front office manager and he will be discussing it with his staff. I hope that you will come back the next time you are in Newport and give us another try so we can demonstrate the level of service that we typically provide and that we have built our reputation on. Thank you again for the review.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We spent Christmas Eve at Hallmark, reserved the cheapest room w/ partial ocean view for just one night – still liked the room. First night we were a little disappointed - the personnel was not as friendly as we expected after reading reviews, and the girl at front desk gave us some wrong directions, so we missed something in town we wanted to see. And we found some trash on the patio…
The room was cozy, clean, with microwave, refrigerator and coffee-maker, and the bed was comfortable.
The location is so great – we watched beautiful sunset, then walked on the beach at night and early in the morning. We walked inside hotel, taking nice pictures – this is a lovely hotel - we would like to return back. And on the next day when we were checking out - the ladies at front desk were so nice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luda247
hallmarknewport, General Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Luda247 – Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that your initial greeting and directions were not up to our usual standards. Please accept my apology and know that I will be sure and discuss this with our front office manager and the staff that was working that night. I am relieved to hear that we recovered well and that you experience at check-out was a positive one. I hope that you will return to see us again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I reserved a room online and put that it was for a birthday. When we arrived at our room there was a bottle of champagne and a hotel birthday gift waiting for us. We had a spa room that had a gorgeous view. While sitting out on the balcony drinking our champagne we saw whales jumping not to far out and found out that the whales live right by the hotel so they are seen often. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great place!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank T80rt0t
T80rt0t – Happy belated birthday! Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I love it when the whales decide to come out and perform for our guests. Too bad we haven’t figured out a way to have them perform on demand. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

ASTORIA
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Usually this is a great place to stay.....This is a lovely hotel to stay in right on the ocean. We checked in (or tried to check in) on Sunday, 1/29, for 1 night. We got there after 3 pm but our room wasn't ready due to the fact they had a full house the night before and all the rooms were rented out. The housekeeping staff said room was almost done but they would try to have the room ready by 4 pm and put a rush on it. The front desk clerk asked for my cell phone and said they would call me when it was ready. We had just driven 3 1/2 hours to get there and just wanted to lie down for a short nap. About 4:15 I finally went back to the front desk and asked if room was ready. It was....oh, the housekeeping staff "forgot" to update the list and they "forgot" to call me on my cell phone! Good thing I didn't wait for my call! The 2nd front desk person we talked to was very apologetic and gave us a $30 coupon to use at Georgie's for breakfast. Nice job, Hallmark Inn! One other thing - it was raining and blowing very hard that day. The gutters outside our room above the balcony were plugged and it leaked ALL night long!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
hallmarknewport, General Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
BigDog909 – Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I apologize for the lack of follow through by our front desk and housekeeping staff. I will personally discuss this system with our front office manager and see where it broke down and what we need to do to improve it. I am glad to hear that the desk apologized and attempted to make things right.
I’m also sorry to hear that the gutter kept you awake. Unfortunately due to the severe weather in the winter it just isn’t safe for us to get up there as often as we would like. I can tell you that often times even with pristine gutters the rain comes down hard and fast enough that they can’t keep up with the volume of water, that could very well have been the case the night you stayed.
Thank you for your repeat business and again, I appreciate you taking the time to point out the issues that you had at check-in so that we can correct them before another guest experiences the same errors.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed here based on the reviews and we liked it.... Not overwhelmed and i'm not sure if we'll be back. It was just a bit of a letdown based on a place we stayed in cannon beach at a comparable rate. I did find the staff very friendly and it is located right along the water. I should add we weren't travelling with a pet and i think if we were the review would be better. I really did like that the front desk asked if there was one thing that they could do to improve our stay. Its the first time i've been asked that and i appreciate that they want to hear from guests.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amuse_easily
hallmarknewport, General Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
amuse_easily – Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations with regards to your room. We are currently in the process of planning a major remodel that I am confident will eliminate your hesitation to stay with us again. In the meantime you might want to request a Limited Edition room as they are the most recently renovated. I will be sure to mention to the front desk that you appreciated them inquiring what we could do better. They do pass those comments on to me and I in turn pass them on to the ownership. Thank you again for your review.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Again, amazed by the room and the staff! This is our favorite place to stay, not just in Newport, but, EVER! Beautiful rooms, lovely views and absolutely friendly and wonderful staff. It doesn't get much better.

Thank you again for a fabulous stay!

Room Tip: ASK! Ask the front desk. They frequently have deals.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CandiceKF
Ckelly07 – Thank you for the return visit to Hallmark! We love hearing from our repeat visitors. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team.