All reviewssun porchliving roomoregon coastspiral staircasewould stay here againlove this placei'd recommendgold beachrooms are largenight's sleepbed was comfortableviews are fantasticdining tablelook no furtherlate at nightfacing southworld class
Reviewed March 27, 2016

I had been thinking about staying in Port Orford for years, and I am so glad I chose this spot for a 2 day vacation with my dog. First and foremost, the view is unbelievable, on one of the most scenic stretches of the Oregon Coast. I had great weather until the day I left, so I was able to hike around with my pup on beaches and at the Port Orford Heads State Park (highly recommended). Yes, it's really windy here, but if you don't want to brave the elements, you can hang out in your room or in the covered porch and be entertained by the clouds, rain, wind, and sea (as well as the flat screen TV). We had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 1 bedroom on the first floor -- much bigger than regular rooms. Not fancy, but comfortable and great for dogs.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2016

We would like to have seen some of the sights of Port Orford but it was so windy and it was raining so hard we were unable to get out and about. We stayed at the Lodge at Castaway By The Sea. It's a nice old building. It's in reasonable condition. Plenty of rooms, a kitchen with everything you might need to cook. The view is fabulous, looking right down on the dock and the ocean. There's a lot of history in the building. During the night, the wind rocked the house and freaked my wife out. I explained that the house had been there since 1935 or so and had probably seen lots of windstorms and was still standing. The windows were flexing in the wind and there were things banging on the outside walls. But we were cozy and warm inside. Rockne the manager is a very pleasant, polite man who went out of his way to make our day. Thanks Rockne!

Room Tip: We were in the lodge which has two bedrooms downstairs, two baths and I think four beds in a room upstairs.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2016

This was a perfect size "apartment". With a functional kitchen, large frig,micro,etc. Large living room, great bed, clean and well appointed...and that glassed in sun deck with views of the working port and the ocean! Perfect. Wifi fast,and cable TV okay. Off the highway, easy walk into town or the commercial port. Only downside was the noise from the neighbors. We suffered with over-active children and heavy footed adults. Recommend you get an upper unit. They also allow dogs and not everyone appreciates that when they bark. All in all a very nice place.

Room Tip: Upper floor room on an end so only one side neighbor.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tom p
Reviewed December 15, 2015

This place is right on the water overlooking Port Orford's port which is fascinating in itself. The room was large and comfortable and there was a glassed in porch in which to sit and watch the port doings. We wished there had been in-room coffee but the management made sure there was plenty of hot coffee in the office early in the morning so that was okay. Also my bed was too soft for me, but that's a matter of personal preference. All in all a great place to stay and we hope to return.

Stayed: December 2015
2  Thank Hazel C
Reviewed November 12, 2015

The space I stayed in was two floors, with a loft with two beds and a main with a bedroom, kitchen, living room, bath and a covered porch. The covered porch overlooks the bay, affording a spectacular view with comfortable seating. There is a dock below and you can watch the fishing boats being lifted out of the water for the night, I didn't notice any mooring in Pt. Orford. The bed was comfortable, the shower hot with plenty of water. I didn't use the kitchen. For me the highlight was the covered porch and watching the light play on the water. Stunning. I also enjoyed walking on the beach below the hotel. I only saw one other person on the beach. The next time I drive the coast I will make a reservation, it's quiet, lots of sand to let the dog run, and that covered porch.....

Room Tip: It's a quiet location, all rooms have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo