“Rude Receptionist”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Orford
Castaway By the Sea
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Orford
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Just called to reserve a room for month of August. The receptionist said we have only one bed, you can go the motel across street and when I tried to get more information, he disconnect the phone. I called again to ask his name and he did not respond.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank reza774

Reviewed 14 May 2016

After reading the reviews we decided to stay here on a business trip. The good, great views and friendly staff. Place was clean. Decent large towels. Updated tv.The not so great, soft old bed though it had a gel topper. The bathroom is painted dump stock brown. No ventilation in the bathroom. The stick down tile is oozing glue so the floor is sticky. Had the shower on full hot and was only getting luke-warm water. Rug in the room needs to be replaced. There is no frig, microwave, coffee maker or shampoo. The glassed in breeze-way smelled like smoke. I could not get any breeze through the room as there is no window in the back. The second building looks like there are windows in the bathroom. Walls are thin, could hear the couple next door. Noisy water pipes. I gave it a two because of the view.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank 473archibaldb
Reviewed 26 April 2016

The little gem of a place was wonderful! We had the basic queen room for one night. The furnishings were old but in pretty good shape. I wished we could have stayed much longer. The view was incredible of the ocean and port! A fog rolled in that night so we could not enjoy the sunset but it was a beautiful sight to see! I would love to stay here a week in the future! The gentleman at the desk was very helpful and a wealth of information!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed 28 March 2016

I spent a week in Port Orford visiting family and stayed at this little gem of a hotel. The Castaway by the Sea has an incredible view of the dock and ocean. I stayed in a very comfortable room with a small kitchen and private glassed in porch. The room was immaculate and had everything I needed and more. The weather was rainy and cool but the room and porch enabled me to enjoy the view without being out in the weather. The owners were very accommodating and went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. I will definitely stay at the Castaway again the next time I am in Port Orford.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2016

I had been thinking about staying in Port Orford for years, and I am so glad I chose this spot for a 2 day vacation with my dog. First and foremost, the view is unbelievable, on one of the most scenic stretches of the Oregon Coast. I had great weather until the day I left, so I was able to hike around with my pup on beaches and at the Port Orford Heads State Park (highly recommended). Yes, it's really windy here, but if you don't want to brave the elements, you can hang out in your room or in the covered porch and be entertained by the clouds, rain, wind, and sea (as well as the flat screen TV). We had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 1 bedroom on the first floor -- much bigger than regular rooms. Not fancy, but comfort...
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We would like to have seen some of the sights of Port Orford but it was so windy and it was raining so hard we were unable to get out and about. We stayed at the Lodge at Castaway By The Sea. It's a nice old building. It's in reasonable condition. Plenty of rooms, a kitchen with everything you might need to cook. The view is fabulous, looking right down on the dock and the ocean. There's a lot of history in the building. During the night, the wind rocked the house and freaked my wife out. I explained that the house had been there since 1935 or so and had probably seen lots of windstorms and was still standing. The windows were flexing in the wind and there were things banging on the outside walls. But we were cozy and warm inside. Rockne the manager is a very pleasant, polite man who went out of his way to make our day. Thanks Rockne!

Room Tip: We were in the lodge which has two bedrooms downstairs, two baths and I think four beds in a room up...
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2016

This was a perfect size "apartment". With a functional kitchen, large frig,micro,etc. Large living room, great bed, clean and well appointed...and that glassed in sun deck with views of the working port and the ocean! Perfect. Wifi fast,and cable TV okay. Off the highway, easy walk into town or the commercial port. Only downside was the noise from the neighbors. We suffered with over-active children and heavy footed adults. Recommend you get an upper unit. They also allow dogs and not everyone appreciates that when they bark. All in all a very nice place.

Room Tip: Upper floor room on an end so only one side neighbor.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Jot's Resort
#8 of 8 in Gold Beach
38.6 km away
SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western Gold Beach

Been to Castaway By the Sea? Share your experiences!