“Don't stay here if you are on Hilton award points.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Portland-Airport

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampton Inn Portland-Airport
Ranked #36 of 138 Hotels in Portland
“Don't stay here if you are on Hilton award points.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for 6 years, and they have given us free parking for up to 16 days at a time. We checked in this time, using Hilton award points, for a 4 day trip to San Diego and a 1 night stay at the Hampton in Portland. We asked for a pass to leave our car in their parking lot for 3 days. The desk clerk refused to give us a pass and told us that the Hampton Portland Airport does not allow free parking with an awards stay. We asked how much do you want for parking and the clerk said we had to pay the stay and fly rate. This rate is much higher than a standard rate. So we said, "so we can't use our awards points to stay here and park. He said "no".
We again told them we had been staying at this hotel for about 4 times a year for 6 years and never had to pay for parking.
Well the longer we talked, the more rude the desk clerk became, so we decided to talk to the manager in the morning.
Morning came and we went to the front desk and the manager and general manager were waiting for us. I guess the front dest clerk warned them that we would like to talk to them in the morning. Well, the manager and general manager were just as rude. We decided at that time to cancel our reservation that we had in April 2012 and find another place to stay when we flew out of Portland Airport.
I might add that as we left our room in the morning, there were 3 housekeepers and 1 maintenance man standing with 2 to 3 doors from our room. Never had seen that before, maybe they were the hit squad sent to make sure we were being good.
Don't stay at this hotel if you want to use your Hilton Honors points.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank IslandCircle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

As I enjoy the Hampton Group of Hotels, I chose to stay here as it was close to the conference I was attending.
In general the hotel is OK. Felt a little old, but it is well maintained. The rooms are clean and the staff does a great job in that department. Breakfast was very well serviced and the staff is also to be complimented there as well.
The planes stop around 10pm but do start early in the morning. The hotel provides earplugs – but hey, I need to hear the alarm. Fortunately, the planes were not much of a bother as they are not lined up and landing every 5 mins.
Across the main road – by car, there is a shopping area where there are plenty of choices of places to eat. The rib place was great.
Only drawback was that the hotel did not have a gym on site. One uses the gym across the way at the Sheraton, which is a very good gym. Only thing is on a cold and really rainy day – it’s not too much fun to do the short walk.
The parking lot normally very fill if you arrive late - bring your umbrella in winter!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ossieosborn
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I usually stay at holiday inn expresses but after hearing about hampton inn from some friends I thought why not try it out. Hotel was clean and comfortable, breakfast too wasn't bad. Even though I will still stay and holiday inn express hotels for the points I would still stay here again if I had to.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Guy S
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I often joke that my idea of roughing it is staying at a Hampton Inn between Hiltons. My recent stay at the Hampton Inn at Portland’s airport wasn’t roughing it at all.

I recently spent a night at this Hampton Inn while attending a meeting at the hotel next door and found it to be a generally delightful experience.

The desk clerk who checked me in was very pleasant and efficient. She’d noted the preferences in my HiltonHHonors profile and placed me in a room on the top floor.

However, walking through the halls - first to the elevator then from the elevator to my room - I felt a knot growing in my stomach. The halls seemed a bit worn and dingy, and I worried that my room would have the same character.

I needn’t have. The room had obviously been updated recently and was lovely, down to that freshly laundered duvet the placard in the elevator had boasted about.

The room included the usual amenities including flat-screen TV, free wireless Internet access, a work desk, a sitting area, a laptop desk (for using your laptop while sitting up in bed), iron and ironing board.

The bathroom amenities included something I’d not seen offered before in a hotel: earplugs. Perhaps this Hampton Inn includes these little sleep aids because of its location just south of the airport’s north runway. Missing, however, was the ubiquitous shower cap. But c’mon; when was the last time anyone under, say, age 70 actually used a shower cap as a shower cap?

Breakfast in the morning was a typical free breakfast: omelets, bacon, sausage, and other items on steam tables accompanied by fruit and yoghurt and, for the ambitious (or carb-addicted), a make-your-own waffle station. As an alternative, Hampton Inns also offer “grab-and-go” brownbag breakfasts – a nice option if you’re in a hurry.

The breakfast area and the lobby had obviously also been recently refurbished, so it appeared that the hallways – the only spot that was in any way sub-par – were left for last.

Because the hotel is situated just south of the airport’s north runway, rooms on the north end of the hotel actually have views of the approach end of Runway 28 Left (or the departure end of Runway 10 Right). Because I’m such a big aviation fan – and knowing that flights into PDX usually land to the west (approach end of 28L), I’d definitely have requested one of those rooms if I’d known about them before visiting. If you’re not a fan, there are plenty of rooms that don’t face the flight line.

All in all, I would recommend the Hampton Inn at PDX without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you love watching airplanes land and take off, ask for a room that faces the runway. Don't w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

We always stay at a park fly rate at Hampton inn at pdx.You can stay a night.then park car. For 14 days a great deal and real convient

• Stayed November 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I was in Portland for an early morning business meeting and had to fly in the night before so I stayed at this Hampton Inn. It was a typical Hampton, clean and reliable. My room was right off the runway so when there were planes landing or taking off you knew it although they did stop by 10:00 PM. My room was recently updated, had a pleasant clean smell. Comfortable and clean. My only real complaint was the NOISY heat/AC wall unit. The buzzing and loud condenser didnt make for a very good night of sleep (thankfully there were a bunch of pillows and used one over my head to dampen the noise level). Breakfast was typical for a Hampton. My biggest issue with this location was there is NO restaurants close by except the over priced one next door at the Sheraton. Since I didnt have a car this was an issue and should be considered if you stay here. The staff did offer a shuttle to the mall that wasnt too far away, so that is an option.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelalot31310
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at this property in May 2011, and on this visit November 2011, I found to my pleasure, nothing had changed. I was "Welcomed Back" as a returning guest by the very friendly and customer service oriented front desk staff.
Room and amenities were as expected and of consistent quality from this Hilton Family Hotel. I choose Hilton Properties because I know what to expect no matter where I stay.
The hotel is located on the access road to the airport which makes it very easy to return rental car etc. There is a hotel shuttle. One note of caution, as the hotel is located near a major international airport there is the possibility that you may hear aircraft noise. I know for those of you who are not frequent travelers and do not stay at airport hotels, this may be disturbing, but just deal with it or go to a hotel that has soundproof rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business