“Great service, reasonable prices”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We've just returned from a trip to Portland to see an opera (great opera company, BTW) and to stay at the Hotel Monaco. I don't usually write hotel reviews because they are all pretty much the same, in my book. But the Monaco is something special, from the super friendly valet guys to the wine hour to the kooky interior decorating (where do they GET this stuff?) to the convenient location. Even the restaurant isn't bad. Unless you love cookie-cutter rooms and white bathrobes, you'll really enjoy the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Try for a corner king room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
TKeleherPDX, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thanks so much for your review. Your comments are right on. I particularly loved "Unless you love cookie cutter rooms and white bathrobes, you'll really love the Hotel Monaco." Our hotel is anything but cookie cutter and we love it that way. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Kimpton Monaco in San Diego was just about the most perfect hotel I'd ever stayed in--the right combination of swanky, hip and comfortable. The Monaco in Portland, by contrast, was very comfortable ("Portland 'nice' " perhaps?) but didn't feel like anything special. Except the valet guys who were always fixing up the bikes they loan to guests and just darn friendly.

I did get a good deal, though, on 2nd night half off with a Portland wide connection.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
TKeleherPDX, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thanks you very much for your review. I am in quite agreement our Kimpton Hotel in San Diego is spectacular. I also love the descriptor comfortable for the Hotel Monaco Portland. Plus, our valets are tops and do a geat job getting our geusts complimentary bikes for their visits.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Yes, it's a chain hotel, but it's a Kimpton, which means there will be some character to it. (I've been to the Rouge, Topaz, and Monaco hotels in Washington, DC and find them equally admirable.)
The rooms are spacious, delightfully decorated, clean, comfortable, and actually look like what you see on the website. The bed is soft and inviting with fabulous plush pillows. (I hate hard, bouncy pillows!)
I stayed in a Monaco King Suite--at a rate of $139 a night. But I think that rate was negotiated for a block of rooms for the conference I was attending. If you're a "Kimpton In Touch" member, which is their loyalty plan, you'll get free in-room wi-fi, and a coupon for $10 to "raid the mini-bar."
The nightly "Wine hour" was something, due to my schedule, I had to walk through each night without stopping to enjoy, much to my dismay. This looked like great fun. The lobby was full of people sipping local wines and munching on local artisan cheeses, sitting by the fire, or playing Wii, or even painting on the easel set up in the corner.
This hotel allows dogs which may or may not be of interest. At the entrance is a blackboard "welcoming" all four-legged friends by name, depending on who's checking in that day.
The staff were consistently pleasant, helpful, and welcoming. Wake up calls were dependable and on time.
I didn't get to see much of Portland, but if I come back, it will be to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mainetrippin
TKeleherPDX, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you so much for your great comments about our decor. We just finished a multi million dollar upgrade to all of our guest rooms, and even though i might be biased it looks great. Spicy....

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've stayed here for many years when I'm in the Rose City when it was the 5th Avenue Suites and now the Monico. The suite this time was renovated and updated. Nice layout with bird wallpaper. There were plenty of easily accessible outlets to charge equipment at the night stands as well as the hexagonal desk. Bed was super. I only miss the old turn-down service where you'd get chocolates on the pillows.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks you so much for your loyalty over the years. I managed the hotel when it was the 5th Avenue Suites. I just oversaw our renovation and I agree that this is the best yet. On your next visit e mail or call me and I'll make sure you get turndown service (including chocolates). We offer turndown service on a request basis.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed here accompanied by our pocket poodle in November and found the hotel very dog friendly. The hotel is nice but we did request a change in rooms because of a musty smell in the room. We were being moved to a floor that was hypoallergenic but when they noticed we had a dog (even though she is hypoallergenic) they said the floor was reserved for people without animals. That's wonderful and I'm glad they stuck to their guns because we usually don't stay in hotels that allow animals because many times the rooms smell of them. I'm pleased to say that I'd stay again at the Hotel Monaco without our poodle because they were so good at protecting the spacial rights of both animal and non animal owners in first class style.

Room Tip: Get a corner room/suite. Hypoallergenic if you're not travelling with an animal.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RDo_11

Thanks you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I am very happy that you are in agreement with our decision to provide accomodations to guest that guarantee a pet has never been in their guest room. As a matter of fact we provide an entire floor of these rooms, and we market it as our hypo-allergenci floor. We have done several things to remove allergens from this floor. We offer synthetic comforters and pillows, replacing any down products common in most hotels. We have purchased special vacuums equipped with heppa filters with reduces airborn dander. We use allergen and scent free cleaning products. We have special gluten free products in the private bar. We offer complimentray hypo-allergenic soap, shampoos and conditioners on request. And of course: No pets No smoking. Thanks Again. Craig General Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was there earlier this month to celebrate one of my closest friend's weddings as well as my 11-year anniversary with my partner. As a member of Kimpton's inTouch program, the front desk staff emailed me a week before our arrival to see if there was anything they could do for us. I was shocked. After a helpful exchange, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted with an upgrade and a complimentary bottle of champagne with a note wishing us a happy anniversary. Throughout the week, the staff was lovely and attentive, especially Tom, and made us feel special. I love the Kimpton hotels and try to stay with them whenever I can.

This was my first time at theHotel Monaco and we'll definitely be back. The location is fabulous (near shopping, amazing restaurants, food carts, various forms of public transportation) and it is a great deal. And the food in the restaurant/room service was quite good too. Go!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. It is much appreciated. I have also taken the liberty of passing it along to our superstar Tom, as I am certain he will also love it.

We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks

Craig

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I ate at the Red Star Tavern on a previous trip and thoroughly enjoyed it, on this one night stand I decided to do it again. A great upgrade room with seperate bedroom. All very comfortable and worth the price. And the "Red Star" was again terrific. Went for a late night drink and the staff was very friendly. It's only a couple of blocks from a great run along the water - hotel, across the bridge to another bridge and back to the hotel 6 km. I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jppitcher
TKeleherPDX, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thanks so much for your review. I love Red Star also. I noticed that you took a run. Did you know that every Thuirsday morning (6am) we offer a guided run for all of our hotels guests. And we offer a Yoga class every Wednesday afternoon (5pm).