“We keep coming back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“We keep coming back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We've stayed here 3 times for weekend trips from Seattle and we've always had a great times. The place is romantic and charming, and service has always been fantastic and personal. It's a short walk to downtown and the Pearl district, but still feels tucked away.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have great sofas for staying in to watch a movie.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel was ideally placed to explore both downtown and Washington park on foot without any associated public transport or cab fares. The service was great but the rooms could have been improved by better facilities. There were nice tea bags for example but only a coffee maker provided and anyone who wants to drink tea is unlikely to want it percolating through something coffee tasting. The tv channel selection was desperate, frustrating as the HD quality set was good. There was a vast selection of goodies in the room but only the coffee and aforementioned tea were complimentary. All in all, a nice hotel but could easily be improved.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank lebt
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I picked the Hotel deLuxe after reading about it in a travel guide and then checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor. I’m so glad I stayed here; it was one of the highlights of my trip. The hotel has a fun old Hollywood vibe. My room was comfortable and nicely decorated, and I enjoyed sampling different pillows off the pillow menu. (You can also order loaner pre-programmed iPods.) The front desk staff is friendly and very helpful, and they offer a personal touch that I think sets the Hotel deLuxe apart from other hotels. I frequently consulted the front desk for directions, and they seemed truly interested in what I was doing during my stay in Portland. They greeted me when I returned at the end of the day, they remembered what my itinerary was, and they asked me how I enjoyed the various activities and the restaurants I visited. I did experience one problem while I was at the hotel, but I was impressed by how quickly it was resolved. The hotel is dog friendly. I could hear a dog barking in a room close to mine, and I called the front desk to report it. Within a few minutes, the front desk called back to let me know they had determined which room the dog was in, called the owners, and expected them back shortly. I didn’t hear the dog again that night or during the rest of my stay. When I first arrived, I was concerned that the hotel was off the beaten path, but that proved not to be a problem at all. Portland is a very walk able city. You can walk to Powell’s, Pioneer Courthouse Square, or Nob Hill in just a few minutes, and the Max Light Rail has a stop nearby. If you stay at the Hotel deLuxe, try the Crispy Bread Pudding French Toast at Gracie’s. It’s really good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank UrbanRecycler
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I did my homework on Trip Advisor prior to heading down to Portland and I'm glad I did. This hotel lived up to all the great reviews and I will definitely stay there again when I return to Portland.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grax7979
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

A jewel of a hotel. Small enough to be very friendly, staff makes you fee like a real "guest" rather than a customer. The decor is endlessly entertaining; I'd like to stay on every floor and get to enjoy photographs from the range of film genres! The location of the hotel is perfect for someone who wants to see Portland--it's a short and very pleasant walk to downtown, to the Pearl District, to the trendy 21st and 23rd Streets. Returning to the hotel after a day or evening out, the friendly faces of the doormen are a welcome sight.

The bed was the idea of comfort. The room was spotlessly clean and in general the hotel is very well looked after. It has a wonderful lack of pretension while providing classy surroundings and classy service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gayle M
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Hotel Deluxe – Is deluxe! What a wonderful hotel. It’s first class without being stuffy. The staff couldn’t be more friendly or helpful. The room was on the small side, but beautifully decorated and cozy. Also, it’s in a great location to get around Portland easily, either by driving, walking or taking mass transit. The hotel bar has an excellent happy hour and great drinks and food. I only had breakfast in the restaurant, but it was a lovely dining experience. They even found and returned a laptop power cord I left behind. (I’ve never had any lost item ‘found’ in a hotel before!)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JewelsR33
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

When I completed the online survey for this hotel, I received a personal phone call from the hotel manager who was very nice and concerned with my few negative comments.

From the phone call to reserve our room to our arrival and departure, the hotel staff was very friendly. A nice feature is the need to use your room card to use the elevator to upper floors. Light rail is just a few blocks from the hotel which makes exploring Portland so easy. We were in a king room which was small, but the bathroom is tiny, something that might be expected in an older hotel. Rethinking needs to be done about the serving cart and huge chest of drawers in the room. We realize replacing the chest with something designed to also serve as an area for the coffee pot, etc. would add to overall cost, it would do much to improve the room. The design of the chest was in our minds ugly. The lounge area during the evenings is packed.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and loved the omelet. We were not impressed with the haste and lack of personality of our server and with the greasy, semi-hot potatoes.

We have stayed at many hotels in the Portland area and will return to most of those. I doubt we will return to Hotel DeLuxe.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends