“Old World Hollywood Glamour meets downtown Portland”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Great property with a very friendly staff. The beds were super comfortable offering down mattress pads, comforter and pillows. Amenities were great and the onsite restaurant had o.k. food, but terrible service.

The location to downtown is perfect. The hotel is in walking distance to some great restaurants and nightlife. Overall it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Blaize76
There are newer reviews for Hotel deLuxe

Reviewed 26 May 2008

Such a gem. My husband and I stayed here for my birthday weekend away. We could not get over how friendly and acommodating everyone on their staff was. From the surprise plans my husband coordinated with the manager to the valet, everyone was so helpful and nice. The room was beautiful and the king size bed was soft with just as soft sheets. Everything was so clean. Great location. Fairly central, but not in the middle of all the noise and businesses. I only wish they had a spa in house, but it just forced us to venture to other parts of Portland. I would definitely recommend Hotel Deluxe to others and would look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hapasf
Reviewed 18 May 2008

Evocative of a 1930s Hollywood hotel, the Hotel deLuxe provides an excellent upscale experience at a reasonable price.

Rooms: The King Deluxe room was large (see pictures), with a massive flat-screen TV and an iPod station. The art deco-style bed was huge and incredibly comfortable. All that the drizzly rain outside ... my fiancé and I would have preferred to stay in bed all day and watch movies on that huge TV.

There is a pillow menu that allows you to call and place an order for the type of pillow you prefer, and the "make it so" button on the phone cracked us up.

Our room was located in the back half of the building, where you could hear no street noise whatsoever. The view was of the buildings around us and the hills just west of Portland.

Location: Conveniently located in downtown Portland. I should point out that it is technically across I-405, which should not make a difference, as it is within an extremely short walk from most restaurants, shops, parks, museums, etc. The MAX light rail runs along the side of the hotel, making it easy to get around.

Meals: Didn’t try room service, but we ate at Gracie’s (in-hotel restaurant) for breakfast on a Saturday. There seemed to be several regulars there, probably explained by the delicious omelettes and pancakes.

Other: This is an architecturally beautiful structure. The recent renovation is truly amazing, with obvious care given to both the scale of the larger rooms and the small details. Portland is lucky to have a hotel with this sort of historical elegance and charm!

The workout room could use some improvement. I fully realize my fiancé and I belong to the minority of guests who choose to work out while on vacation, but it was incredibly small and about 110° when we used it at 11 p.m. It needs more equipment and additional space.

Having to pay $10 a day for Wi-Fi should be a thing of the past. The connection was remarkably slow. Internet access is a part of life and fully expected at hotels ... travelers need to check flights, look up restaurants, addresses, etc. It should just be there as part of the room, like the TV, radio or phone.

Bottom line: Like other reviewers have mentioned, you feel special here. The atmosphere is fantastic and I would definitely recommend and stay at the Hotel deLuxe again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank brittelizabeth
Reviewed 17 May 2008

I had a great experience at the Hotel DeLuxe! Honestly I didn't like the rooms that much, they were very small and I felt like I was closed in, I barely had room to walk in between the TV and the bed. However the customer service was great. I had a good greeting from the girl at the front desk and every staff member I saw smiled at me and greeted me. Even the mini bar attendant was great. She came into the room to stock the minibar. Usually I feel very awkward when maids come in to clean the room but she made me feel very at ease by joking with me about how she needs a garter on her arm so she could look a real bartender (she had a vest and a white shirt on and she looks very much like an old time bartender). I will recommend this to anyone who values customer service and doesn't really care about the size of the room they will be staying in.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Deluxe in February 2008 for two nights. Our first trip was wonderful - the staff was absolutely amazing, the room was small but adorable, we were treated wonderfully by everyone, and we decided to make the Deluxe our Portland hotel. On our second stay from April 29-May 1/08, we had a less memorable time. When we checked in we were told I had reserved a double queen room; I had reserved a king room online a month prior and was totally surprised by the mix up. The staff gave us a king room and "kept the rate for the double queen." I guess because of this "mix up" we were given a tiny, tiny room on the second floor with windows facing a wall and incredibly loud neighbours. This time the staff were less than friendly - no smiles or chit-chat like before - and we felt like we were bothering them, our room was not cleaned after our first night and we had to call the desk only to be told that, "They were very short staffed." On our second morning the people in the room next to us woke us at 7am by shouting for the next 3 hours. Upon check out we were not asked how the stay had been and the staff rushed us out the door. We're a couple in our mid-20's so perhaps our complaints were ignored, but I can say we will never stay here again. The rate I paid for the room was $16 more/night - probably because of the "mix up" - than what I had reserved online ($163 vs $179) and nothing the hotel did or offered warranted that increase.

On May 1st we stayed at the Deluxe's sister hotel in Seattle, the Max. Though the staff wasn't great there either, the experience was far better than our two nights at the Deluxe. When we return to Portland in June - we are usually there once a month - I will have reserved at another hotel. Oh, and there's a parking garage just down Yamhill that charges $15/night - we paid the $24 for valet for the two nights at the Deluxe. Save yourself the money.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danitaylor
Reviewed 30 April 2008

really cool room and great hotel, could walk everywhere. Driftwood room was a really cool place to kick back and have a cocktail. definitely would stay there again. Loved the style of the rooms. Only downfall was having to pay for wifi.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lucin
Reviewed 29 April 2008

The Deluxe Portland is in a quiet part of town but no more than 5 to 10 minutes from everything in downtown and the Pearl District. The doormen and check-in staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked a King Premier Suite for two nights. The hotel is decorated in 1930s/40s style and is a very relaxing area in which to sit, have a drink or read the paper.

Our room was sufficiently big, but I felt the layout was a little odd as there was a lot of wasted space in the room. The suite comes with not one but two big flat screen TVs and an ipod docking station. Again we went for their romantic couples package. However I'm getting a little tired of North American hotels advertising 'champagne' and then supplying sparking wine.

The beds were big and cosy and to be honest I could have spent the whole weekend in it ordering room service.

On our first night we dined at the hotel restaurant, Gracies. Its in a beautiful room but was absolutely empty the Saturday night that we were there. I guess lunch is more their thing. The food was good and service was impeccable. We also drank a number of times in the hotel bar, The Driftwood Room. Its nicely designed but a little on the small side. The bar is very popular so it fills up quickly.

What makes this place special is the atmosphere and old world charm. You really do feel like a Golden Era movie star and for that I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2007