“Young guys holiday - perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Portland City Center

Travelodge Portland City Center
Ranked #105 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Frankfurt, Germany
“Young guys holiday - perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

This place is perfect for a group of young people visiting Portland.

* Good price - around $120 per night it cost us
* Location - gentle 15min walk to downtown, nightlife etc.
* Surroundings - Suki's restaurant downstairs does a job, supermarket across the road
* Room - new safe, good quality FREE WiFi.

Overall absolutely no complaints, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

Ok, I know it's dumpy, yes. BUT they are very good and gave us a good medical rate for being a patient at OHSU. The staff was extremely nice. Our A/C wasn't working and they got right on it to fix it. Our bed was comfortable. We requested a fridge in the room and had a fridge and a microwave. Ok, so it's not the cleanest place, but it was very good and we are going to stay there again next month. I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mozart8181
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

Last minute decision to find a motel in walking distance to the Portland Marathon. Most locations were already booked and those available were not in our price range. Found this on the Marathon website, but when I did some online research ran across a slew of negative reviews and was quite concerned. Called the motel directly and talked to the staff on duty that night-Meaghan. She was most helpful, booked us in a room above the lobby- in a separate building from the karaoke bar that had been mentioned in a previous review.
Room was large, clean, quiet, and all features were in working order. Meaghan was our check in staff, quick and efficient.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — The walk BACK from the marathon.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

Stayed only one night, I am not a fan of the chain, but I wanted to be near downtown and have a corporate budget to live by.
The property is kind of scary on the outside and seems to be located in a sketchy area but in all reality, most downtown areas are a bit sketchy.
The young man at the front desk was friendly (he was watching Andy Griffith and was really into it which cracked me up) and the check in was smooth. I got an interior room as opposed to one with an exterior entrance.
The room itself was larger than I expected and had a sliding glass door for air, since I was on the second floor I utilized it. The room was clean and the furnsihings were adequate. The bed was a bit lumpy.
The morning breakfast was pretty pitiful. Juice coffee and tiny muffins, but I usually skip hotel breakfasts so it was of no concern.
Being downtown the property is close to several dining options and I walked to eat and explore beautiful downtown portland. I ended up far away and cabbed it back for only $6.
This isnt the nicest place I have stayed but it did its job at a reasonable price. <$100.

• Liked — location/price
  • Disliked — sketchy internet
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

First of all, do NOT trust websites like Priceline for honest information about hotels EVER (that's what I learned today). The Travelodge City Center actually looked decent on that website or I never would've booked it. It is not decent; it is DREADFUL.

I am not a hotel snob. I like nice places, but as a young person about to graduate from college, I am budget-conscious. I thought, as a large chain, Travelodge would have standards. If the company does, this place sure doesn't show it! I can't offer the most thorough review because I honestly didn't stay in that room more than half an hour (while I booked another room and called a cab), but I would like to warn innocent, unsuspecting travelers that it is AWFUL.

The outer facade is ancient and reminiscent of a crummy roadside motel from a bad horror movie. The place is falling apart! The lobby is gross, too. And the rooms? Ugh. Everything from the carpet and wallpaper to the furniture to the plumbing is too OLD. It looks like nothing in the room has been updated since the mid-80s! The smell in the dirty, tiny bathroom is foul, and the TV is microscopic. The furniture is all nicked, the walls are cracked and the door looks like it's been kicked in and not properly repaired. The chain lock has been ripped out of it. The bed is terribly uncomfortable, and the place is overall filthy.

The manager seemed nice when he let us leave our luggage up front while the room was "cleaned" (and I use that term loosely) and when he helped us to our nasty room. He also agreed to refund the money with no fight once Priceline contacted him (within minutes of my entering the room and calling them). But, when I went to turn in the keys, he had the nerve to try to make me feel bad about calling Priceline. As if I were being disloyal to him. Someone I'd never met before! Well shame on him for trying to rent that disgusting place out to unsuspecting people. Maybe he should try putting a little of the money he collects from those poor folks into improving that awful hotel of his.

Long story short: DO NOT stay in this hotel. (And I write this from the comfort of the very pleasant Red Lion Convention Center, where I switched my 3-night stay and which is only marginally more expensive considering the vast difference in cleanliness, comfort and convenience.)

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank this_charming_woman

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2007

My sister and I stayed in one room and My Dad & his wife in another. We stayed here because my Dad's room was free through the Veterans Hospital. He was having an early morning procedure so he took the free room. My sister came in late at night and reserved a room to be near him. If it was earlier, we would NEVER had stayed in this room. It is a disgusting and filthy dump. We were creeped out all night and barely slept.

Both rooms had cracked and peeling walls around the door jams. We thought maybe the door in our room had been kicked in and never repaired completely. However, my Dad's room had the same damage....strange. Our room smelled of thick, old smoke, more like a dirty ashtray. The carpets were dirty and the tub would not drain. The bathroom tiles were grubby.

My Dad's room was worse with huge black stains on the carpet (what could it be??? Ugh!). Really dirty bathroom tile, ants in the bathroom and black finger prints on the bathroom door and jam.

I would never stay here, not even for free. It's an absolute shame that this hotel is offered to our veterans when they need to be at the hospital. Anyone with an open wound could get an infection for sure.

• Liked — nothing, it's a dump
  • Disliked — the filthy rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank bobalooie
Near Portland,OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2006

Needed to be close to the doctors office for an early appt. This was close & seemed like it would be okay. It has a restaurant too so......hmmm Guess we can give it a try NOT!!

The heat was not working properly...so we were cold. Our room was on the 2nd floor facing a BUSY street....with traffic noise all night. We were directly above the restaurant/bar so each time a patron went in/out we would hear the door THUD.

the food downstairs was horrid! The soup was so bad I could not eat it ( I am a chow hound folks!) The sandwich was even ruined. How does one ruin a sandwich??? By thawing the meat toooo long in a micro. First time in my life I have ever left a restaurant without leaving a tip. Had to go get my own refill on water..DUH

All I can say is ...

Don't Do It!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business