Residence Inn Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #39 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Bend, Oregon
“Great trip!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We really loved having this hotel as a home base. We met my parents here for a pre-Christmas get-together. They had a one bedroom suite on the first floor which was an excellent corner unit. We had a studio suite down the hall at first, but after the first night we requested to be transferred because the carpets had just been cleaned and so the room smelled of chemicals. Once we brought this to the attendants attention, he switched us quickly. (This is the only reason I'm not giving this property 5 stars)

The best part about the hotel is that it's at a train stop. (Note: even though the name of the hotel is "Cascade Station", the train stop you'll want to use is Mt. Hood, not Cascade Station. Mt Hood is one stop from the Airport). We rode the train into Portland one day and explored via public transportation. For us small city folk that was pretty fun (and convenient, as I hate Portland traffic). There are also quite a few good restaurants one stop down (at Cascade Station).

Target is also right next door (shares the same parking lot), which was convenient to buy baby supplies (our daughter was 1), wine, and other little necessities. They also keep ice cream and other snacks on hand near the front desk.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Traveler66
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stay at this property when traveling to Portland because of its close proximity to the airport and easy access to the MAX light rail system. You have a choice between calling the hotel for a free three-minute shuttle ride from the airport or riding MAX one stop to the parking lot of the hotel. For those who want to visit downtown Portland, the location of this hotel and its proximity to public transit prevents you from having to rent a car. And, the hotel itself is modern and clean. The rooms are spacious, come with free wifi and have full kitchen for your convenience. Shopping of all types is very nearby. This place has become my favorite Portland-area hotel and I think you, too, will be favorably impressed!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler66
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed here transiting out of PDX as it was was close to the airport. We arranged a shuttle for airport pickup and was told conflicting instructions and timing on the shuttle. We were told initially to call immediately when we land and proceed to to pickup area. When we called upon landing the male clerk told us that we were calling way too early as it takes just a few minutes to reach the pickup point and to call back after we get our bags. When we called back after picking up our bags (just inside the pickup area) a different clerk told us that now it would take up to 15 mins for pickup at this point. Not nice as it was in the 30's outside and we had some toddlers and seniors in our group. I had to make a third call in the cold after about 25 mins and the shuttle arrived finally more than 30 mins. When I questioned the driver he was defensive and full of excuses, and when I asked if he was the person I spoke to initially on the phone he said no he was just the driver. When we reached the hotel and spoke to the clerk inside to complain she said that the driver was indeed the one who took the first call and gave us the inital instructions. The be fair the rooms were clean and decent size but will not be staying here anymore as there seems to be no integrity, honesty, or professionalism at this residence inn.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank aeternam
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband , son and I travel to a competition in Portland once a year. We always have an early morning departing flight and have stayed at this motel every year. Always courteous and friendly and dinner recommendations have always been terrific from the staff. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated. I am a light sleeper and never noticed any noise form the airport - all in all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bellevue WA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

First off, the price was right (about $100 + tax). But, I agree with most of the recent reviews of this hotel. My feelings are mixed. On the one hand, the suites themselves are lovely, new, modern, with all the comforts of home. I did have to switch rooms upon check-in though, as the original room (134) had a loud howling eminating from the A/C duct that they were already aware of and had no way to fix (then WHY try to give anyone that room?) Moved to 330 and that was fine. The odd thing there is the service. The front desk people seem ambivilant toward guests, and in some cases, bordering on hostile, for no reason that I could figure out. No one looks you in the eye when they speak to you (3 different hotel employees I spoke to). No bell desk, so no one to assist with bags. The pool & hot tub area were nice, but no towels are there (and no sign in your room instructing you to bring your own towels). The silverware in my suite were dirty, so I just ran everything through the dish washer, just to be sure. A rag & spray bottle from housekeeping were in the bathroom when I checked into my suite. Lots of little odd things wrong with this hotel that could be fixed with a new set of management who keeps an eye on the details. My only other complaints (that the hotel can't do anything about) is the MAX light rail and airplane departure noise can be heard throughout much of the hotel. Lucky for me I brought earplugs..

Room Tip: Stay on floor 2 or 3 toward the back of the hotel avoiding the right side (truck noise from Target...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LoveToTravel1962
Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were travelling with a mentally-impaired adult, and we had confirmed a two-bedroom suite to sleep our 3 adults. We arrived to find that they had given our reserved and paid-for suite to someone else. We were offered two studios at a lower rate, but this kind of cancellation is completely unacceptable. We choose Residence Inn's exclusively because we usually travel with 3 children - their offered solution would not work in that case either.

I also witnessed another couple with reservations being told they were unable to honor the reservation; the clerk did find room in another Marriott property nearby, but again what is the point of a reservation if it is not honored?

Our issue was with the location, not the chain. This property manager needs to fix their policy regarding room reservations.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank couperine
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Very close to PDX, I had an early flight so I decided to stay close by the airport. Wow! New Hotel, New Shopping Area & Resturants all within walking distance. Close by is Target, Best Buy, Staples and Ikea. It was an easy walk to the varied options for food,work related shopping, or simply needing Personel items. Close by connecting freeways. Noise was not an issue. Easy access to Light Rail at the end of the parkinglot. Friendly Staff. Rooms are like mini apartments with kitchen, stove, dishes and whatnot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business