“That is, "Average for the price"” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cameo Motel
Cameo Motel
Ranked #89 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Honolulu, Hawaii
“That is, "Average for the price"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

The good: Clean; even the parts that don't show were dust- and cobweb-free. Comfy bed (queen). Walking distance (two blocks) to a GREAT Indian buffet and a quirky but very good cafe, which is literally across a small side street. You can see my reviews of those, too!

The average: very basic, with a tiny microwave sharing a big armoire with the TV. One bottle each of shampoo and conditioner, two small pats of soap. Sound level from outside not bad, considering it's on a very busy intersection of three streets. Sound level from above also not bad; could barely hear TV and toilet flushing, footsteps overhead a bit more but one expects that. Towels a bit rough and small, but again in a cheap place that's expected.

The bad: maintenance! Just simple, basic stuff: the toilet handle had to be jiggled to stop it from running. The kleenex box was nearly empty. Batteries on remote control for TV were so low, it wouldn't run the cable box, even from 1" away. One lamp was missing the collar that holds the push-button switch into the base, so the lamp was unusable (couldn't push the button). No ice machine (?!?!?)

The worst: no security latch or even a cheap chain lock up high on the door. Trust me, when traveling with a 2-year-old that is a MUST. He was almost out the door in the time it took me to walk across the room! A learning experience in that from now on, it's something I would certainly ask about ... AND my daughter is going to purchase one of those flip-locks as a backup, for future motel stays.

As someone else noted, it is in a pretty run-down neighborhood, but the grounds are certainly clean and well-kept. My daughter said when she checked in, the desk clerk was extremely friendly and helpful, so that's a plus. Did I mention it's easy walking distance to a GREAT restaurant? :-) I wouldn't mind staying here again, since I would know what to expect. For $52 including tax, it wasn't bad.

Room Tip: We were in the "annex", across the street from the main motel. I'd opt for the main p...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank wolfwoman1st
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, We appreciate your opinions and thank you for letting us know ways we can improve guests stay. We appologize for the maintenance
issues and for bringing them to our attention. We want your stay to be one that you truely enjoy. Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again if you are in Portland.
Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

I was really pleased with the remodel, and the staff is great!!! The rooms have been revived. This place went from being semi dumpy, to being a nice, comfortable, and still an affordable place to stay. Our stay here was really pleasant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Not a pleasant experience. I made a blind purchase trusting that 2 star would mean 2 star. This hotel, while trying to improve, is still NOT 2 star. I wouldn't even rate it...yet. They are remodeling it appears. However, my curtain did not even cover my window entirely. The bathroom floor is like bamboo matting. I first noticed that there was no Do Not Disturb sign to put out....which was because they apparently do not offer daily maid service. I've seen a few "clean" reviews....really? Semen stains on the office chair does NOT qualify as clean to me. When I arrived, the desk was already closed around 10:30. Took a few to get a response. The guy that came down was nice enough, but pretty intimidating in appearance. After reading reviews about tough looking guys talking about drug deals, I opted to keep my feedback to myself. No coffee maker, hair dryer or ironing board in room. I wouldn't tell people not to stay here, but it is not worth a comparable 2 star rate at all. Happy travels!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ToeKnee_TM

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Not much to look at from the outside and you have to pass through a slightly sketchy neighborhood to get there, but...for about $60 per night I got a clean, basic room with a king size bed (they upgraded me for free!) and a bus stop a 1/2 block away by which I could hop just 1 bus to go downtown. I would stay again if I didn't absolutely want/need to be downtown.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank lifeizabanquet
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay here. We are happy that you enjoyed our motel and that we will see you again when you are in Portland area.
Warmest wishes, The Cameo Staff
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I came here because a local told me it was a good place for the right price. The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful. She answered all my questions, and even went the extra mile to help find me a charger for my ipod. Not only is the price right, this motel offers a fast wifi connection and comcast cable! It's close to restaurants, a nice little park called "The Grotto," and a few laid back bars if you wanna unwind at the end of the day. What more do you need?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank kid1111
cameogm, General Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property, We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here. We try to be helpful in any way we can to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. We hope the next time you are here in the Portland area that you will choose the Cameo Motel.
Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff ~
portalnd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife was complaining all the way to the motel about choosing the most inexpensive motel listed. She shut up as soon as we walked in to the freshly "restored" room. The down town was 10” away and easy access to and from. The management was very helpful and friendly. The unit had Wi-Fi with good signal. The motel is still a work in progress as of this review, but posed no problems. It was clean, quite small refrig, micro wave good water pressure, new quality bedding and furniture, beautifully “restored” room. It has a small restaurant on site and many food places close by can find any issues with this bargain.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank bird5713
cameogm, General Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you so much for your review of our property, We are constantly striving to make our guests feel comfortable and to make our rooms ones that you will want to return to. If there are any sugestions on how to make your time here at the Cameo better we would love to here your opinions. We are blessed with the great location of our Motel and happy that it was helpful while you were here in Portland.
~ Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff ~
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We are new to town and couldn't have asked for a better situation until we are able to get something a little more permanent. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are big we even have a view of Mt St Helens on clear days. The free wifi is fast and reliable. The parking lot is well lit and well attended to. Quick access to the interstate and airport would make it ideal for travelers. The entire staff is friendly and courteous. What a great first impression of Portland. And they always have a fresh pot of coffee on which is nice. The restaurant across the street is really good and offers a 10% discount to New Cameo guests.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Vi7a
cameogm, General Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
Thank you very much for your review of our property. We are always happy to hear that you are enjoying the ammenities that we offer and that the location is helpful also. We would love to hear if there are any ideas you have about our property;as we are wanting to make this place the best place you have stayed. We are glad to have you here and hope that if you ever need a place to stay that you will return.
~ Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff~