“Tradition, Exquisite, Simple”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 25, 2018

Murata Sushi

Located downtown Portland in the Upmarket section off of SW Market Street.
The reason I give so much detail to the direction is because 1. they do not have a direct website and 2. you could easily saunter right passed this gem. Keep your eyes open for this hole in the wall because this is absolutely one of my fave spots that everyone in the world, who likes authentic sushi, MUST experience.

Murata is tiny, offering but a few tables on the main floor by the chef's counter and to the right of the entrance there are four separate rooms curtained off with 2 tables in each room. They are traditional tables with comfortable pillows to sit so take off your shoes and relax. The servers are in traditional kimonos, have beautiful accents, ,provide amazing service and are genuinely kind and gracious.

Their drink menu includes delicious sake's, large Sapporo with a limited liquor bar but who wants cocktails? I want chilled sake all day :)

My other 3 friends and I ordered an array of delights, including Chef's Choice sashimi plate, radnon rolls and it was fresh and clean and the rice was perfect. It was unprocessed, soft and fell apart indicating it was made that day. It didn't resemble a sticky rice brick that some may prefer. Honestly though I had the BEST dish of Black Cod. It was so good I wanted to order another piece but with all of the typical starters such as seaweed salad (which is an acquired taste and I always order to critique as each salad varies extremely), edamame and miso soup, I decided against it. It was so good I dreamt about it and NEEDED it the next day.

We four ladies had a feast fit for Queens that fused together fresh, succulent variety combinations topped with black cod as a cherry on top; then add the nuance of impeccable service by tradition, beautiful Japanese women.
Are you sold yet???

Wait...one more detail...the check.

Adding up a secret rendezvous, sashimi plate, multiple rolls, my black cod, all of the starters, sake, beer and we only paid $25.00 per person (not including tip).

Need I say more?

1  Thank Khristi L

Reviewed December 23, 2017

For a lowbrow American like me, it's really hard to imagine that sushi isn't just sushi wherever you go...until you've been to Murata, then you think, Ah, I get it. Murata is simply in another league (the pros) compared to just about any other sushi place I can think of in the City of Roses.

Go. Be prepared to be blown away. Bring an extra credit card. (Make reservations - even for lunch)

Kanpai

2  Thank DaveG_pdx
Reviewed November 12, 2017

We were pointed to this place by, of course, TripAdvisor. We stopped in here for our Son's birthday, as we were traveling to Portland and he LOVES Sushi.

Great little out of the way place downtown, which I had never stumbled in to. I think I walked by here more than once in all my travels to Portland.

Great little, very traditional, Sushi restaurant. The service was incredible, with many attentive people making sure you were taken care of.

The food was outstanding. The broiled mackerel, with skin on, what a delight this was. Even the skin was very tasty.

When visiting, you can sit at a more traditional Japanese style table, with you bottom on the floor, and the table set up to you. We chose the traditional western style with a typical chair and table.

Again, this place was delicious, with excellent service, and I plan to go back with some work folks!

1  Thank km24800
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has great food including sushi!!! They had several waitresses but the short hair waitress made it a bad experience. I was sitting at the sushi bar and hadn’t finished eating the main course I ordered. Right before I put food in my mouth, there was a voice saying ‘excuse me’ followed by an arm with a long sleeve almost dipping in my food, sticking from the right across my face to the left to grab some small dishes she thought I finished without asking. So I dropped some of the food on my lap. What was the rush? It’s just so rude! Other than that, I strongly recommend this restaurant. Other staff and the chefs were friendly and awesome!

Reviewed November 7, 2017 via mobile

We went for an intimate birthday dinner. We got the sushi A which is chef's choice. The quality of the fish was great and it was the perfect amount for us. We love sushi and it was well worth going.