“Original Pancake House”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed September 6, 2017

I really wanted to like this place, I had heard it was a cant miss breakfast spot so my wife and I went on a Sunday around 10am. Disappointed in so many ways.

First, we were told there was a 25min wait so we walked back up to the parking lot to look around. We checked back 10 mins later to find they had already called our name and given our table to the next person in line. We were told we would be next in line but watched two other couples get seated so we asked when we would be seated and were somewhat abruptly taken to the dining area with no comment. Awkward. The restaurant is VERY small and as a result very loud.

The menu looked ok but I noticed there were no potatoes or sides really to choose from, you got pancakes as a side with everything even the waffle dishes! So after ordering I noticed on the menu it was cash only. Small print on the far right side - how embarrassing for people who don't know and think they can use debit/credit when the bill comes. Who doesn't take plastic in 2017?!

Big jar of sugar on the table, had to wait ten minutes for Splenda for my coffee. The staff were overloaded, they couldn't keep up with the fast pace and we got someone else's order by mistake. They ran it back to the other table but it was another ten minutes for ours to come. I will say this, the bacon was extraordinary but overall that was the only positive note about the whole experience.

Go to Elmer's, its less expensive, the food is much better and the restaurant is appropriately staffed for big crowds. And you will wait 5-10 minutes for a table.

1  Thank Troy V

Reviewed August 8, 2017

I've been hearing about this place forever and been trying to go for months. Problem is... It's a super long wait on the weekends. Then I kept forgetting that they were closed Mondays and Tuesdays, which always seemed to be the day I planned to head over. Finally went last Wednesday just before 10am, party of 2. Still had to wait about 30 minutes for a table. Then as I was sitting there, I noticed the sign "CASH or CHECKS only!" Seriously??? In this day and age? My son and I were scrambling through our wallets and had about $40 cash between us so we thought.... OK, we're covered. Turns out it was barely! The menu is really all about the pancakes, with a few not-very-exciting egg optioins thrown on for good measure. But $12 for 3 specialty pancakes and no side? The Dutch Baby features are even more. Again...no sides...just cakes. 1 link of house sausage (one!) is $8 extra. We wanted to try 2 types of pancakes plus get an egg dish so it wasn't all sugary. With the cash we had on hand, that wasn't an option. So we ordered the Eggs and Sausage with a side of pancakes for an upgrade price. The egg plate by itself would have been an embarrassing entree at any other restaurant. Can't believe they even charged extra for the pancake side. In the end, the pancakes were delicious, but the overpricing, long wait, limited payment option and small food quantity made us leave the place pretty sure we'd probably not come back.

1  Thank 10sChick
Reviewed July 5, 2017

Note: They do not accept credit or debit cards, so bring cash.

We had been to the Original Pancake House in Eugene, and were surprised that this one is so much smaller. We arrived around noon on a Wednesday, and the place was packed.

I had the apple pancake, which is the size of an apple pie (no top crust). It's enough to feed 3 or 4 people. I at about a third and brought the rest home. My husband had the corned beef hash and eggs with potato pancakes. Again, a huge serving, with plenty to bring home for another breakfast the next day.

The food is good, and the service is friendly.

Reviewed June 21, 2017

Food was great. Waiters were friendly. Portions were huge and reasonably priced. Only set back was we had to wait before we could be seated.

Reviewed May 28, 2017

I have grown up eating at The Original Pancake House in Michigan, so when in Portland, Oregon I had to stop and try the original Original Pancake House. It was absolutely excellent! The food is delicious, it is presented beautifully, and is brought to the table nice and hot. They use REAL whipped cream and the coffee is strong and wonderful. My favorites are the Big Apple Pancake, the 49er Flapjacks, the Fresh Strawberry Crepes, and the Dutch Baby. This is a great place!