“Really Wanted To Give Five Stars But...”
Review of Southpark Seafood

Southpark Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Southpark Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 4,815 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$13 - US$45
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW 9th Ave
Transit: Pioneer Court House Square (from yellow/green/blue/red lines)
Description: A chic Northwest eatery featuring sustainable seafood and farm-fresh ingredients. With the area’s largest selection of oysters, a menu that changes every single day and an innovative thirteen-seat raw bar, you won’t find a better place for a dozen on the half shell. As a proud partner of the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch® program, Southpark Seafood only serves seafood that has been fished or farmed in ways that minimize their environmental impact. For 20 years, this definitive Portland restaurant has been helping to shape the city’s dining scene into what it is today. Located in the heart of downtown, this iconic Portland restaurant is the perfect spot for lunch, dinner, large groups or just to kick back and relax.
Reviewed September 10, 2018

Let me start with the great. We made reservations and were seated instantly. Our server was AMAZING and I'm kicking myself for not writing down her name like I normally do for these reviews. But if management reads this, we were the table for three the Sunday before Labor Day, 6PM reservation and our server was this great woman with awesome tattoos and a perfectly wry and dry sense of humor to complement ours and our dinner.

The clam chowder is as great as most say. The clams are fresh, the gnocchi is perfectly cooked and fluffy, and the broth is thick enough but not too thick. My husband, the one who doesn't eat seafood, had the striploin and actually enjoyed eggplant for once in his life! It was beautifully prepared, perfect temp, delicious.

My friend and I shared the Dungeness Crab for Two. And this is where things get a little iffy... we're Marylanders and take our crabs very seriously and neither of us had much experience with dungeness. But we wanted to try! The brussels sprouts that came with it were delicious; the chili sauce in the crab shell was a great touch and very tasty; the focaccia was good but not legendary as some claim; the Caesar salad was bright and flavorful and doused in feathery-light gratings of cheese; and the chocolate board was AMAZING.

The crab, however, had its faults. Our server asked us if we wanted it hot or cold and we said hot. The tip off should have been that there were cooked crabs chilling on ice at the raw bar. Because what we got was a previously steamed crab that was slightly steamed so it was "hot" but really was just lukewarm. You can tell when a crab is freshly steamed from live because it is HOT. Burn your fingertips and fingerprints off kind of hot. This was lukewarm and I think the crab suffered a lot for it.

Aside from that incident, which can get your run out of town in MD if you do that as a crabhouse, the dinner was excellent, service was top notch, and the experience was great.

1  Thank Ginway1010

Reviewed September 10, 2018

Nice restaurant well designed and laid out. Service was prompt and informative. We were a little disappointed with the food. Expected really outstanding seafood in Portland and Oregon in general and were surprised that no restaurants we tried during a week long stay in Portland and Hood River was really anything other than ordinary. We do come from Dallas which is one of the top restaurant cities in USA. Guess when you already have top notch food at home its hard to find better.

1  Thank Lms48
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Sat outside. Ate happy hour apps and drank a few beers.

Good food, nice location, friendly staff.

Very happy.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

Stopped by Southpark Seafood for dinner. The clam chowder was very creamy and had clams in the shell and gnocchi. The chowder was seasoned perfectly. The main course was steelhead salmon which was good, but very salty. I generally eat sockeye salmon, so maybe steelhead is more salty, I don’t know. There are lots of nice menu choices and everyone was friendly.

Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I loved the clam chowder and our first ever Oysters! We also FELL IN LOVE with their bread! Wow! Service was amazing, good was great, beer was yummy.

Been to Southpark Seafood? Share your experiences!