“Disappointing and NOT recommended” 1 of 5 bubbles

Portland Spirit
Ranked #746 of 4,237 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Portland Spirit has two luxurious enclosed decks that seat 340 guests plus an outer deck. Your dining experience includes fresh Northwest cuisine, superb service, and beautiful views of Portland's skyline.
Portland, Oregon
“Disappointing and NOT recommended”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

We went on a dinner cruise and the only good part was being out on the River. The boat is dreary and no effort has been made to make it more cheerful in the dining room. The dinner was mediocre, lacked flavor, poorly presented and reminded me of a large TV dinner! Even though dinner was (expensively) prepaid, they nickel and dimed us by charging extra for the appetizer and dessert. Apart from the cruise director, the service was surly and non- existent. We couldn't get a second drink with dinner and physically had to hunt down a server to get dessert. The only good thing was the warm summer evening and that was outside their control! The evening was a waste of money and a disappointment, and I would NOT recommend this event.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank sharemyopinion

Southern Shores, North Carolina
“Great time! Great service! Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

This was a wonderful experience. I treated my mother and sister to a birthday lunch on the Portland Spirit. It was much better than i expected. Our waiter, Eric, was fantastic! He was fun and attentive and full of information about the sites we passed along the way! Highly recommend this for a way to see the city and enjoy a great meal! will definitely go again.

2 Thank melismcg
Scappoose, Oregon
“Great views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

I have been on the boat a few times for company functions. The scenery is great and the staff seem nice. The boat docks near Omsi.

1 Thank SCRAPBOOKINGFAN
Calgary, Canada
“Dining on the river”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

A great way to spend a couple of hours on a hot evening in Portland. The menu is limited but pretty good. Great way to see part of Portland and some of the bridges. Pretty entertaining watching how locals keep cool and use the river. All round good experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank webeenthere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fantabulous...Will definitely do with out of towners again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

Before we ever got on board it felt like the afternoon was going to be wonderful. From the sun and uncharacteristic 80 degree weather, to the air conditioning and completely friendly staff my boyfriend and I knew we'd hit the jackpot for a friday afternoon treat. He's visiting from the UK and I live in the Willamette Valley, so we're both visitors to Portland and don't really know the area.
ID in hand,we had a photo made behind a life-ring and proceeded to board the vessel. At the top of the stairs, we were greeted by the waitstaff and immediately escorted to our table. Menus are on the table for drinks and lunch selections. Along with a quarterly newsletter of what's going on at Portland Spirit, there was the lunch options and a map of the river with highlights on each shore of what we'd be passing. Drinks were served within 5 minutes of boarding and the piano was already playing when we boarded.
About 15-20 minutes after boarding and getting our drinks, we were served a wonderful beef roast/stew dish with a vegetable medley and potatoes. It was melt in your mouth wonderful and very filling. We were given the selection for desserts within 5 minutes of clearing our lunch plates (I'd pre-booked dessert for both of us) and I had the snickers whilst he had the bailey's--both were delicious.
Our waitress, Anne (I believe), told us that the boatswain was doing a narration on the upper deck and would be restarting it at the turn around point. Also, you can take your drinks upstairs with you, so upstairs we went with the breeze in our hair and the sun in our faces. The narration was interesting...different tidbits of history and quirky facts about either Portland and/or the river.
The gift shop is open on the upper deck and from there you can access the wheelhouse. Of course, I had to get my picture taken sitting in the captain's chair! The guys were really friendly and said I just couldn't actually steer!
Be sure to take your camera, have a seat in the wheel house, and just relax! I'd recommend this to anyone. Oh, and there was only one middle school group onboard that day and they were amazingly well behaved.

1 Thank hickmangirl