“Decent, not spectacular”

El Ranchito Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2,644 of 4,676 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We used to be weekly regulars, 10 and more years ago. In recent years, it's gone downhill. Food quality is lower, service is less friendly (though they did get some native-English speakers, which helps if you have a hard time understanding limited English with an accent).
Still decent, and we pop in on occasion, but it's not what it used to be.
I do recommend the spicy mango margarita, yum! And the arroz con pollo is delicious. My husband's fave is the albondigas soup.

Oh and I will say - they have the best salsa, anywhere, in the opinion of 5 different families I know who've been there. It's worth a trip just for the chips and salsa.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

From the outside, this Restaurant appears to be the old-fashioned Mexican themed restaurant. Once you walk in, it still has the feel of an old-fashioned Mexican themed restaurant. The menu, at first glance, appears to be the old-fashioned Mexican themed restaurant. However, upon closer examination, there are many more options than just the combo plates of enchiladas, burrittos and tacos. Nicely, the write-ups accurately described the food, too. I had a spicy chicken dish served up with tortillas and beans and rice. Also on the plate was a larged grilled Jalepeno. The food was great, not salty and the Jalepeno, while spicy, added tremendously to the meal.
My wife had a seafood burrito that she enjoyed. I had a couple of bites and would say the crab might have been a little old, but not bad.
My only complaint would be we ordered the "top shelf" margarita with the higher quality tequila, however, they used a standard margarita mix...If I'm going for the top shelf, please, please use fresh citrus.
Good place, though, and wonderful service. It's worth the drive.