“Great Thai food!”

Nong's Khao Man Gai
Ranked #37 of 4,814 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed February 2, 2018

This place is a great place for legitimate Thai food. I had #1, Khao Man Gai (Chicken & rice). The dish is simple and well presented and tasted delicious. The food was fresh and amazing Thai food. The menu is fairly simple and something you don't want to miss.

Reviewed January 15, 2018

We ordered the chicken and rice dish on a recent visit to Portland. The soup that came with our meal was absolutely delicious, but I found the chicken and rice lacking in sufficient flavor. I've had better Hainanese chicken and rice closer to home and cheaper too. However, the service was friendly and the food is overall good, just not as amazing as I had expected based on the stellar reviews.

Reviewed January 14, 2018

I was excited to go as friends said it was delicious. However, after living in Thailand for years, I have stricter standards than most Americans. I was not disappointed. It tasted just like the ones I had in Thailand, maybe even BETTER! I had the Pork. It was so good that in my 10 day visit to Portland, I went twice. Authentic, delicious, only 3 things on the menu, fast friendly service, clean and didn't have to wait for a table. I bought a bottle of her famous sauce, a bit pricy at $10/bottle, but once I tasted it, it's worth every penny. This will be my first stop in Portland from now on!

Reviewed January 2, 2018

I read about this place when researching the Portland Food Cart Pod scene. Then I saw a photo of the owner, a young Thai woman named Nong (who has hair of different hues depending on the day), and recognized her from an episode of Food Network's "Chopped". She has 3 locations; the one at the Alder St. pod was a few blocks from my hotel. Note that Alder St. has the smallest menu, serving just chicken. The larger PSU pod and the restaurant also serve vegetarian and pork versions.
I got the regular-sized chicken and rice ((khao man gai) with dark meat ($9.50) and took it back to my hotel, since there's no real place to eat by the pod. To my inexperienced palate, khao man gai is pretty much the same as Hainanese chicken and rice, which I've had at many places over several visits to Singapore and its hawker centres. Most famous there are Tian Tian and Ah Tai Hainanese Chicken and Rice stalls, both in the famous Maxwell Food Centre.
Nong's version was truly delish, served with a killer sauce more complex that those I had in Singapore (where you get a hot sauce and a ginger sauce). The sauce is not too spicy and has been bottled for retail and online purchase. The chicken and rice come wrapped in butcher paper, with cucumber slices and cilantro sprigs. You also get a small container of yummy clear broth with scallions and chunks of what appears to be wintermelon.
Overall a delicious lunch that more than held me over until my dinner later at Tasty n Alder.

2  Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Reviewed December 25, 2017

Awesome chicken and rice. We needed a gluten free option and they delivered perfectly. The counter help person was really friendly and helpful. Good seating too!