“Hipster cool, but you'll pay for it!”
Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #59 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The coffee shop next door means the place is full of free wifi junkie hipsters trying to get access while clogging up the lobby lounges. they need to improve this!
Plus the hotel basically will try to gauge for every additional thing, so come prepared with an open wallet. very expensive for the space you get, but the old Victoria bath was nice and on the hold enjoyed our stay.
Good location in the pearl district and the Deli a few doors down was good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ace when visiting my brother in Portland. There's nothing worse than feeling like you've thrown your money out the window. Portland has a ton of lovely and affordable accommodations but we chose the Ace, one of the more expensive hotels in the area, knowing its reputation here in New York. We were quite disappointed from the moment we walked in when the concierge could hardly be troubled to welcome us to the hotel and get us checked in. The rooms are quite basic and even consider a toilet to be an added amenity worth charging for. This was not what we paid for.

The only reason I'm keeping my rating at "average" is because the common spaces at the hotel are quite welcoming and the smell of Stumptown coffee greets you at the door. The hotel is also well-located, right near Powell's books. We also discovered their continental breakfast on our last day which would have really lightened up our stay had we tried this sooner.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmandaPK
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I am 42, I would never describe myself as too cool for school although I do feel I am somewhat fashion forward. I've read that people find this spot too cool for them, but I did not feel this way at all. We went for the "Stick it to the Man" nov-dec special which gets you a discount on your room and 10% off at a large list of shops in Portland. We were greeted by a friendly staff, check-in took less than 10 minutes and off we went to our third floor street side room that had two beds and tons of light. It was more than adequate for two gals in town for some shopping and food.

Location - right next to the Pearl, 11 blocks from NW 23rd (shopping and food), a short walk to downtown, and 2 blocks from some of the most insane street food vendors you will ever see in the United States!! We could see Powell's bookstore from our window. And there is a movie theatre around the corner. Yeah, pretty much all you would want. Oh, and right there, connected to the hotel are Stumptown coffee and Clyde Commons (restaurant bar).

I feel this Ace Hotel far exceeds its lesser version in Seattle. I will stay here again when I come back in a couple of months.

Room Tip: The noise up from the street side is not anything to worry about, but if you're worried they pro...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The Ace Hotel Portland is in a great location, within walking distance of lots of restaurants and sites. It wasn't very fancy, but was clean and comfotable, and very cool. The bed was a little hard for my taste, but my room and a private bathroom (some rooms do not). The sink in the bedroom is a little odd, but I didn't mind. I found all the employees to be welcoming and friendly. Go to Clyde Common for a drink, and get good coffee right downstairs at Stumptown.

Room Tip: Request a room with a private bathroom if that is important to you
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kylie R
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Ace on the first night of our honeymoon and loved it. Super fun environment. Love the photo booth in the lobby. We stayed here in July 2010, not November, btw.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Yes, the Ace could work on some being less cool and more hospitable.... this is the hospitality business. I loved my shared-bath room and slept well. The whole experience was reminiscent of European travels in the 70's, except that a shared-bath room was cheap then, not cool. I look forward to staying here again when i am in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Cool hotel. Great setting but you better be OK with noise inside and out. Sadly most employees too cool to care about taking care of you. No, we don't deliver coffee (even though there's a card from Stumptown in the room that says we do) and Oh yeah, I SAID I'd call you a cab but didn't. Asked for Fed Ex box to be delivered to my room and was then told they gave it to someone else. Rude is not cool. Basic training and courtesy would've been nice for the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business