“Hip Hotel With Good Prices, Great Location, and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #60 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Kreskin2207
“Hip Hotel With Good Prices, Great Location, and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here recently during the week and basically had the place to myself. We were on a floor with, I think two-three other rooms, which made the shared bathroom situation a non-issue. The shared bathroom, by the way, is huge. The bathroom is as large as the hotel room! We got a super rate for a room that had three beds, I want to say it was just a bit over $100. To sleep three people in separate beds in the center of a major city with great restaurants and bars steps away for this price is s-t-e-a-l. The staff was also super nice every time we interacted with them - even at 5Am the morning of our checkout. This place will definitely be my go-to when I'm in Portland.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel has a cool vibe. No doubt about that. And the location is ideal. But it's far from cheap (we paid $165/night for a very basic room), not quiet (garbage/recycling trucks under the single-pane window every morning at 6:30), and has a weirdly scolding tone for a place in this price range. For example, in addition to the usual reminders about re-using towels to save water and energy, there's a plaque in the elevator that says, "If you'd taken the stairs, you'd be there already." Maybe, but for $165 a night, maybe a guilt-free elevator isn't such a luxury? In addition to the street noise, which is intense, the door to the bathroom is a hung sliding door, which offers no noise privacy, and the sink is in the middle of the room. The TV is very small and mounted on the wall in such a way that you really couldn't watch it from the bed. To me, this feels like a budget hotel at double the budget price. If the room were under $100, I'd say, "Fair enough." But for these prices, I'd expect double-glazed windows (which would save a lot more energy than guilt-tripping guests into re-using towels), and a bathroom door that offered some privacy.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in front, due to street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BilgewaterBob
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Ace has taken an old "flop house" in the Pearl District and converted it in to an affordable, up to date, minimal boutique hotel. The design concept respects the history and character of the old building while adding modern amenities. There is a restaurant on the ground floor with good food and group seating. You will enjoy this hotel is you are young, or young at heart. You will not enjoy this hotel is you are like the woman I saw with lots of jewelry and 6 suitcases trying to get herself up the elevator alone.

Room Tip: This hotel will not be for you if you want comfort rather than hip-ness, lots of flower arrangements...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank watershadow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

The room was small, the bed felt like a futon, my laptop had a bigger screen than the TV, and the lobby appeared completely rundown especially with all the riff raff the coffee shop brought into the lobby. The front desk was extremely slow and inefficient, the only good thing about this hotel is the general proximity to everything. For the same amount of money you could stay at the Kimpton's place which I certainly will on my next trip to Portland.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jdogg71
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My first trip to Portland would not have been complete without a visit to The Ace Hotel. I read all the reviews and had some friends share their experiences with me, it was all I expected and more! I had a room with a private bathroom and beautiful tub on the front side of the hotel. Noise was not an issue for me but I can see how some people who are more sensitive to noise might be bothered. The room was clean, cute and very comfortable as was the lobby and common areas. Overall a fantastic experience, I cant wait for my next visit. I recommend The Ace Hotel to adventurous traveler, you will love it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
305shorty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The hotel is definitely not your typical hotel, which is what my boyfriend and I were looking for. But at the same time it is over priced for the tiny rooms and bathrooms...or should I even call them bathrooms? The shower was in the middle of the room and the actual toilet in a separate "water closet" type thing. I wasn't a big fan of that because I would like some privacy when I am using the toilet and occasionally also when I'm in the shower!! I loved that there was a coffee shop and a lounge/bar right next door but I was slightly disappointed by the Ace overall. I think the cleanliness is what bothered me the most.... There were definitely some "questionable" stains on the large green pillow that kind of acted as a headboard. We weren't too big of fans of that and removed the oversized pillow immediately!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rodriguez_305
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Be warned...this is not a normal hotel! It's a statement of 25-30 something hipness and although I had a fine stay at the Ace Hotel, if you expect a standard hotel experience, you'll be extremely disappointed.
The rooms are designed to be downward-chic styled to appeal to the young crowd. My room had a spartan bed in the center of the room surrounded by a sink and the shower. The toilet was near the entrance. The walls were painted gray with a poetic saying painted in black script across the wall above a long spartan board serving as a table. I didn't mind it at all but was desperate for a small fridge and coffee machine. Too pedestrian and uncool, I guess.
The old building has been renovated to be clean, but isn't soundproof and groans and creaks are heard at any time, day or night. Downstairs, the lobby has a huge central table surrounded by a sectional couch occupied for most of the day by hip young people with their Macbooks and dour looks on their faces. The great Stumptown coffee is served through a portal to the shop next door.
I've been once before and the service was cool and indifferent. This time, service was pleasant and deficiencies (non-working shower, etc.) were attended to quickly.
Parking is at an outdoor lot about 1/2 block from the Hotel. It's safe and convenient although I wasn't sure the first time I stayed.
The hotel is right adjacent to The Pearl district and about 1/2 block from Powell Books, a spectacular destination.
In summary, the hotel is true quirky Portland. If you want a regular stay, try elsewhere, but if you're young and hip, this is the place. Oh, it's not particularly cheap for being spartan.

Room Tip: Best to stay facing the back of the hotel away from the noise of the street. Also beware that some...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo