“Absolutely delicious”
Review of Verdigris

Verdigris
Reserve with OpenTable
Verdigris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 4,850 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2018

We have been wanting to visit this restaurant for awhile, and chose it for our anniversary dinner this year.

Booking on Open Table was super easy, and my husband added a note about our anniversary. We were greeted warmly and promptly given a complimentary glass of champagne and wished a very happy anniversary.

If you've read other reviews of mine, I eat 98% of the time gluten free. I'm not supposed to eat gluten because of health issues. Thankfully, I'm not celiac, so I can on rare occasions indulge. The freshly baked rolls here were the first of several great decisions. They were small (fine by me), but perfectly crunchy, with a bit of coarse salt, a lovely wash and great texture inside. Perfect for sopping up the delicious salsa on the asparagus appetizer we ordered.

They have a small, but interesting wine list with a nice range of prices. Mostly French, which we prefer. The waitress willingly gave us small samples of the syrah and bordeaux they offer by the glass. Both were good, but this was a special meal. My husband asked, "So, I'm guessing this Bordeaux by the bottle is going to be a whole lot better than this one by the glass? Is that probably true?" She smiled and nodded. She was spot on. We splurged (not a huge splurge, but yes, the bottle was more than four glasses of the other would have been $70 vs $40). It was so much better! A delicious Bordeaux. Not in our everyday wine budget, but we savored every drop.

I had a feeling about the beef short rib Bourgogne, and I'm glad I went with it. It was simply amazing. The beef was so tender, the sauce so flavorful, the vegetables perfectly steamed. My husband opted for the gnocchi and he was just as happy. He didn't want meat, and it was a perfect fit for him. The vegetables were again perfectly crisp and flavorful, the sauce delicious. I took a bite, and I can say the snap pea I ate was very good, but not enough to lure me away from my choice.

I was hoping for macaron on the dessert list, but no such luck. The strawberry granita with blackberries and buttermilk ice cream was happily separated so I could enjoy the non-dairy part of the dessert, and my husband enjoyed the ice cream. I did share a couple berries.

Unlike so many Portland restaurants these days, it was just the right volume of music. We could actually talk easily. Even more impressive since there's a lot of hard surfaces in this restaurant which can often make it really noisy. Maybe it was the fabric covered chairs, or something else, but we were delighted!

A wonderful restaurant and experience all the way around!

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

Looking for a local place for our first dinner in Portland. I doubt we'll be able to top the experience here. The service was very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. Every dish we had (there were six of us) was first rate. Just excellent all around

Reviewed June 15, 2018

It is easy to find good food in "foodie" centric Portland, but finding exceptional "world class" food is extremely rare. Verdigris is just such find. From the warm greeting at the door to the warmer but sad good-bye, our evening was full of warmth and tasty delights.

The muscles were sourced from Samish Bay, WA and were cooked to perfection with seared artichoke blossoms with a perfect balance of garlic. The muscles were plump, juicy, and with a great mild flavor.

The halibut was thick and cooked just to the point of the flakes falling at the touch of our fork. The beef short rib as seared and baked to the same. Our knives never moved from the table. The bed of root vegetables were sauteed to a perfect al dente—a skill I am trying to master after 50-years of trying.

Frozen blackberries with a fluffy grinding of strawberry sorbet nestled against a perfect ball of lemon sherbert, finished the meal perfectly. We will be back soon... with friends.

Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

Serendipity led us here when we learned a 2.5hr wait at Toro Bravo seemed a normal expectation. After a waterfall day with our local friends, we skipped the waiting and chanced on this gem of a French restaurant that had no line and an available table outside during a perfect weather evening. We were treating our hosts who brought their smiley infant daughter along for the day. They felt thoroughly treated and it made for a perfect evening. We had the halibut with clams and lentils and the New York strip steak, followed by sharing the creme brûlée and the buttermilk ice cream (with short bread and macerated blackberries). Definitely recommended.

Reviewed April 22, 2018

Authentic french cuisine. Great pricing for quality food in a small but wonderful restaurant. Love getting a last minute reservation on a weeknight to have the chef's special.