“A good budget option” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Eugene, Oregon
“A good budget option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We booked this hotel because it had the least expensive room available in the Portland airport area for the night we needed a room. We weren't looking for anything fancy - just clean and with a comfortable bed. And the hotel came through in that regard. Compared to the nearby HoJo that we've also stayed in at comparable rates, this Ramada was a little nicer in physical facilities. The front desk staff were wonderful - friendly and fast, both at check in and check out.

The in-room wi-fi is free (yeah!), but seemed a little slow. We appreciated the coffee maker with real ceramic mugs (instead of plastic cups), microwave and bathtub (not just shower stall). Also liked that there were reading lights on both sides of the bed (too many hotels have a light only on one side).

Recommendation: bring ear plugs. This hotel was built before many of it's genre used good sound-proofing insulation, so you might hear the neighbors. More importantly, the heating/AC/ventilation unit was rather noisy and kept cycling on and off all night trying to maintain the temperature. This might not be a problem most nights but we were there on a cold winter night and there weren't enough blankets on the bed to keep warm without turning up the heat.

On the plus side, there was a desk to work at and a convenient power strip to plug in computer, battery chargers, etc.

Yes, the decor is a bit dated, but what do you expect when you're looking for budget deals? More important is cleanliness and everything in good working condition, and in those regards this hotel did just fine.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gkvaughn
GMRamadaPortland, General Manager at Ramada Portland Airport, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you for staying with our hotel. Your business is very much appreciated. Extra blankets are available on request. Your feedback very valuable to our property and is taken into much consideration to update our decor.

We hope to see you again real soon!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

This place needs some serious help. The decor is extremely outdated and made me feel like I was in a bad casino hotel somewhere in rural Nevada. Our room had carpet stains everywhere. The bedding consisted of a sheet, a thin blanket, and then another sheet on top (?) - bizarre. We had to crank up the heat so we didn't freeze. We were looking forward to using the hot tub and exercise machines in the gym, but all were broken or "temporarily out of order". We ate breakfast at the restaurant on site, and the service could not have been slower. I think our waitress forgot about us at one point, which is sad since there were only three tables of customers. The shuttle to the airport was convenient, although ten minutes late. I will not be returning to this location, and will probably avoid Ramadas from this point on. Although the price was reasonable, I will spend an extra $20 or more next time I have to stay close to the PDX airport.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMRamadaPortland, General Manager at Ramada Portland Airport, responded to this review, 18 January 2012

We are in the process of renovating the hotel and new carpets are being put into all the rooms. As for the treadmill and the jacuzzi will be operational very shortly. We needed to order a new jacuzzi pump and a treadmill motor. Safety of our guest comes first. Also extra blankets are available on requests. I apologize for the slow service by our restaurant server and I assure you that all these issues are and will be addressed.

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Silverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here the night before we flew to Miami. We utilized the Park and Fly which allows you to park your car for up to 2 weeks with the purchase of one nights stay, The cost about $90 a bargain compared to long term airport parking. The hotel is showing it's age but the rooms are large and clean . Check in is easy and the shuttle to and from operates often.The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom fairly large. The pool appeared very nice and the gym seemed to have quit a few machines. All in all a very good value for a decent room and 2 weeks parking . We will certainly return again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frankie2011
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

The people at the front desk and the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. Complinmentary computer use in the lobby too. Our room was dated look like it was from the 70's but was clean and dustfree and that means a lot. Nice size bathroom. Great for a short stay on a budget.

There was one thing that did bothered me was a strong smell probably some kind of disinfected in the lobby, hallway and room. Being in the building for about 10 minutes you adjust and no longer smell it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. First off, the room was dirty, with dust all over. Second when I turned the water on, it was brown....and not just a slight discoloration, it was brown and for a good 5 minutes. I found bugs in my bathroom, the heater did not work, and the sheets were stained. Room was dank, and smelled like it had not been cleaned in months. Service was lousy, and food orders were messed up in the lounge. I actually saw another hotel guest bring up a bed bug to the front desk, and they acted like it was no big deal. I will never recomend, nor stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Outlets have covers missing, the ceilings are pealing, the place is old and outdated. The owners do...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank justin j
Bend, Or and beyond
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stay at Portland-area hotels about 100 nights per year and unfortunately one of those nights was at this establishment which is a disgrace to the Ramada brand. Filthy, musty smelling rooms with thin walls, noisy fans, stinky carpets and mold all over. I would avoid this place at all costs. Many of the previous glowing reviews are obviously planted by management, co-workers and their families. The negative reviews I find trustworthy and accurate.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank bikesales
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

So when the good folks at the airport had to bump my flight to the next morning, it was this gem that they chose to put me up for the night. I can see why they'd have a special arrangement with this place as no one in their right mind would actually choose to come here. This hotel was ancient! I walked in to find a classic late 1980s TV and what appeared to be a comfy bed. I say appeared because I was up every hour trying to sleep on the bumpy thing. In the morning after my wonderful 1 hour sleep I took a shower. What a wonderful feeling to have the water temperature fluctuate from hot to cold over and over again without me touching a thing!

One more thing. The Oregon air seems a bit dry so naturally I was quite parched. Throughout the night I went to the bathroom and quickly drank several glasses of water. When I woke up with a bit of belly ache I was not surprised to discover that when I ran the tap (out of which I got my previous glasses of water) out came lovely dark brown water.

What a gem!!