“Clean, but in the middle of nowhere.”

Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Portland
New York City, New York
“Clean, but in the middle of nowhere.”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed here on business and was satisfied, however, since it is near the airport, there is NOTHING to do and very few places to eat, except the on-site restaurant. I ate dinner there, and it was fine, but I was the only one in there. If you have time to sight see, even if it's a few hours before an appointment or a one night stay, you should stay closer to the city.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank noodlebert
JatPat, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
DanielleM_LIU thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience about the cleanliness of our hotel. Our housekeeping team works very hard to make sure the hotel and guest rooms are clean. Shame on us for not familiarizing you with the area at check in. Actually there is a lot of things for you to do around us including visiting Cascade Station which features IKEA plus a lot of other shopping and dinning options. Our shuttle actually provides complimentary service to Cascade Station.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Washington
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Ok...the only reason for a two star rating is that the bed was very good. Otherwise, the hotel is somewhat dated, and has a funky smell. I was very disappointed when I left a velvet wrap in my room. I called the next day, and the maids never found anything. Since I had had traveled from the hotel, to the airport, and to my hotel, and it wasn't in my bag, I KNOW I left it in the room. I know my bag wasn't opened, because as a frequent traveler, I always place a piece of tape on my bag, so I know if it has been opened. On a side note...I speak fluent Spanish, and the chatter between the maids in the hallways was, shall we say, less than complimentary, concerning guests. I would not stay here again, and neither will any of my friends or family, all of whom are frequent travelers.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel, like the Shilo, with the free breakfast served in the restaurant, or buffet...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Veronica-thank you for your positive comments on our beds. We do have a some real comfortable beds. I am sorry that you have lost your throw. I will contact the housekeeping supervisor and find out what happened and contact you as soon as possible. We are pretty good about finding and sending back left over items as we know how important they are to travelers.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is conveniently located close to PDX. I was very dissapointed on how thin the walls were though. I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbors were doing and they were loud. It was disturbing to be awakened at 1:00 a.m. by "romantic" noise from next door. Then when I tried to sleep in next morning I could hear the housekeeping staff in the hallway. Needless to say it was not a restful night. Interestingly I did not hear a lot of air traffic.

I got this hotel through priceline, so the price was acceptable, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
Oakridge, Oregon
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Although a long time Red Lion member, my recent experiences had left me less than satisfied. In February I was traveling through Portland in a Pacific Northwest downpour and decided that I had had enough and would spend the night there. I checked on the Red Lion at the airport and was given a very reasonable rate. All of the staff were extremely helpful,and my room was very clean and comfortable. For an Airport hotel, I was pretty happy and didn't find it overly noisey. I would choose to stay at this Red Lion again if I were in the Portland area- it is close to shopping and the local IKEA.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lori S
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our room was nice and seemed clean. The hotel is just a couple minutes from the airport and is actually really close to IKEA and some other shopping. The hotel has a restaurant and a bar attached to the hotel and you can order food and walk down and pick it up. Swimming pool is outdoors so no use in winter. Parking lot was kind of dark which didn't make me feel too comfortable. I would stay here again only if I was flying out of the Portland airport and needed a close hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 2215wls
Oregon
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We have stayed here 2-3 nights a year for the past 8 years, always for before or after a trip out of PDX. We have been very pleased.

It seems to be the best experience of the park and fly deals we have tried, and one of the few to offer two weeks parking. Ramada had no elevators and was very spread out and seemed shabby. I think at least some buildings at the Red Lion have elevators, but even if they don't, it seems like they have always put us on the first floor (I assume because of Park-N-Fly and we booked early). Embassy Suites only had a 7 day Park-N-Fly package, and they did not seem nearly as friendly, and the room was not as nice finished as nicely as the Red Lion.

The hotel is an older property but it has been recently renovated and it was finished well. The beds are softer, not firm or hard, but that is what I like. While it is not in the style of some Red Lions layout wise, it is finished to their standards or better with regard to showers, vanity, bedding, furniture, etc.

The front staff was pleasant and will even print boarding passes (with entering in pasport info, paying for baggage, etc) if you left home without doing that, which I was especially appreciative of on one recent trip. The shuttle drivers are friendly.

FYI, to book Park-N-Fly room deal, I think the only way is on the Red Lion website. You cannot just book on Expedia or something at the lowest rate and expect the free parking--someone said it costs 8.50 a day if you do that. The prices vary for 7 or 14 day parking included on the parking deals.

Room Tip: There are several different buildings. Ask for the main building on the ground floor to be closest...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eelnosaj
Albany, Or
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week and it was terrible! The lobby was completely empty when we checked in, yet we were rushed in and out. When we arrived at our room my husband noticed a dried orange peel on the bed, empty candy wrappers on the floor by the bedside table and I noticed blood *ick* *ick* *ick* on the wall above the trashcan in the bathroom. My first thought was the lack of attention to detail!! Their housekeeping obviously needs to pay attention. After our stay I received a survey to fill out and I mentioned these complaints sighting they need to up their attention to detail. The customer care rep that responded to my survey wrote: "I am sorry to hear that you were not able to utilize the lobby due to the large convention that was at the hotel. I can understand how frustrating it must have been to be in such a crowded area. You are a valued guest and I do hope that you will stay with Red Lion Hotels again in the future." Talk about attention to detail!!!! Nowhere did I mention a convention or crowded lobby.. in fact I mentioned quite the opposite... that the lobby was desolate. Never again will I stay at the Red Lion Hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family