2,390 results
All reviews french press symphony suite chocolate shop turn down service historic hotel room service valet parking rooms are small wonderful hotel heart of downtown the location is perfect pioneer square street noise bed was very comfortable visit portland the pearl few blocks
Reviewed September 21, 2016

This is a very historic hotel. Upon entering the hotel you are greeting with the most kind beefeaters that can provide you an abundance of information of places to eat, sightseeing ideas, and history of Portland. We stayed on the 9th floor which was very quiet. So quiet that we slept in each morning. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. Yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: stayed in room 912, it was very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
c4bus, General Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2016

Dear jenna_samchar;

Thank you for sharing your review!

We your so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay including your room and our well known beefeater doormen!

Thank you for choosing The Heathman as your home in Portland. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 19, 2016

The Heathman has been a Portland fixture for as long as I can remember. The French press coffee is still excellent. From the large, elegant lounge with a roaring fire in winter to the spacious and well-appointed rooms, the Heathman continues to shine. And the location is unbeatable. I always stay at the Heathman when I am in Portland and have never been disappointed. The staff is uniformly gracious and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Dear Lisa S;

Thank you for sharing your review.

It's great to hear you love our French press coffee set up in our rooms, as well as our Tea Court and location. Enjoying our Tea Court and fireplace is certainly the place to be during the cooler weather!

We look forward to welcoming you back as our valued guest and part of our Heathman Family!

Reviewed September 19, 2016

We come to Portland about twice a year to visit our daughter. We spend part of each stay at one of Portland's boutique hotels as we love the quirkiness and individuality of these places. While some have been better than others, each has been totally satisfactory, with some being of incredibly high quality. We have enjoyed each and every one of them.

Until now.

I'll start with the pluses:

The doormen.
The gorgeous trappings of the lounge right off the front desk area and the mezzanine.

The minuses? Everything else.

I'll start with my coffee reference, which is illustrative of the lack of attention to detail that made this stay so disappointing. Their restaurant is closed for renovations, something the main website didn't share. NOW YOU KNOW. So, there is a 'coffee station' just off the main desk. Saturday? No cups. Sunday? One cup. For two people. Monday? No take-out cups, not a problem for us but was a problem for the patrons who wanted to take coffee out with them. It looks like the front desk people were doubling as 'fetch-its', concierges, and the rest. Not enough help. If that were the only issue, you could write it off.

However, our biggest problem was at check-in. We had gotten up at 3:30 am eastern time to fly from Philly to Portland. We knew that check-in was at 3. We called around 1 pm to see if we could check in early and we were told that our room would be ready at 2:30. We arrived a little earlier, were greeted with flutes of Argyle Brut, a very nice touch, and waited until 2:30. We checked. The room was not quite ready, but we were told we were getting an upgrade and that it would just be a few minutes. I asked again at 3 and was once again told that the room wasn't quite ready but would be in a few minutes. Ditto at 3:15 (already 15 minutes past the normal check-in time), room will be ready in a few minutes. Which, of course, raised this question: What the bleep are they doing in this room? SANDBLASTING CHEWING GUM OFF THE WALLS? Doesn't take this long to clean a room.

I ask again at 3:30. A DIFFERENT desk clerk (the guy I'd been asking had left) checked and said that all the room required was final inspection. Ho-kay. We finally get in our room at 3:40. No apology, not even an offer of a second flute of Brut for the delay.

The room, which was nice and large, had its quirks. A shaving mirror in a location where anybody over 4' 5" couldn't use it; and a tub/shower that required either (a) an engineering degree or (b) multiple attempts at trial and error to use. The first failed attempt invariably flooding the floor. This, of course, is not unique to the Heathman. Memo to the World: Off/On and Hot/Cold will work just fine, thank you. But. I digress.

Let's get back to this restaurant thingy. There's apparently a new splashy restaurant with a Portland celebrity chef running the place coming. But, a cursory examination of the Heathman website does not readily reveal this. I think this should have been made clear to prospective customers. One of the most enjoyable aspects of staying at a boutique hotel is that of padding downstairs to enjoy a casual breakfast and coffee. Had we known that this was not available to us, we would not have chosen to stay here. Yes, they can rustle up room service for you, but it's not the same experience.

Bottom line: The Heathman needs a wake-up call. Instead of honing the customer experience to compensate for the lack of an eatery, management took the opposite approach.The lack of attention to detail does not bode well for the hotel's future.

One final note, and I don't know if it comports with Trip Advisor's standards. I notice that the GM of the hotel responds to most of the reviews. That person needn't bother in our case as we won't be coming back. I respectfully suggest that the GM instead spend that time paying attention to detail.

Stayed: September 2016
3  Thank Steve T

Dear Steve T;

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your last stay. We greatly appreciate all feedback.

I'm disappointed to hear of your experience.

I note all of your comments including the coffee service, our restaurant closure and check in.

It is indeed my responsibility to pay attention to details and ensure each of our guests enjoy a memorable flawless stay. I can assure you your experience is certainly not the norm. I have messaged you privately to gain more details and ensure a resolution.

We hope you will again join us as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2016

We stayed at the Heathman for 3 days over the Labor Day weekend. Contrary to what it says about itself, it is hardly a luxury hotel. It is an old property and rough around the edges. The room was comfortable but quite small. It contained what may be the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in life. Walk in sideways and go from there.

The service was weak. No maid service the first full day we were there until we begged for it as we left for dinner. ( we were out of the room the entire day). One thing that was particularly memorable but not in a good way. Avoid Lindsey at the front desk at all costs. Dour, cold, resentful, difficult, grudgingly helpful, take your pick.

Avoid the stupid virtual concierge or whatever it is. When you get a text that it is there to help you, ignore it. I fell into the trap of responding that our internet did not work, the room was ridiculously too small etc and it just automatically sent back blattering platitudes. Internet was sporadic and weak. And to boot, they tried to slip in a $24 per day "activities fee". That the removed it so quickly is a sign of what a scam it is.

The bed was comfortable and the location was good. For what the charge, it is not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward0053
c4bus, General Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2016

Dear Edward0053;

Thank you for your review.

I'm disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel particularly in regards to our Housekeeping service and our service staff member which is surprisingly out of character.

I would like to speak to you in regards to your experience so I can understand more details in your feedback. I can be reached at 503.790.7750 or my email below. I look forward to hearing from you.

We appreciate your business and hope you will again return.

Reviewed September 13, 2016

I was really looking forward to staying here with my husband for the weekend but to be honest, i was not impressed. The hallways had a not so great smell from whatever cleaning fluid they use or spray, the rooms were a bit dark and tired. I guess i was annoyed when we came in and found someone's food wrapped in foil from a leftover in the mini refrigerator with the beverages. I really was turned off by this and went to the front desk to tell them. I also told the housekeeper on the floor. It was not really acceptable but oh well. I liked the location but i doubt i would stay here again.. nice historic building, but my expectations were not met. The front desk staff was hit or miss. I found one of the women at the front desk a bit abrasive and not too friendly..oh well. Sorry heathman, not my cup of tea. really disappointed

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susannaa2000
c4bus, General Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2016

Dear Susannaa;

Thank you for your recent review.

I would like to speak to you regarding your experience during you stay here as it is my responsibility as GM to ensure a comfortable, memorable visit.

I can be reached at 503-790-7750 or cforbus@heathmanhotel.com.

Look forward to speaking you and addressing your concerns.