“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 29 February 2012

LaQuintas are usually where I end up staying just because I know they accept pets. I'm glad I decided to branch out on my weekend getaway to Portland. The front desk was really great and the room was very clean.Good bed and charming little kitchen. I thought the pet hospitality was wonderful-dog cookies, dog bed, dog magazine. Wow! Oh and free wine(for me not the dog). Well not really free since you do have to pay an extra $20 to use their parking garage, I guess at least I didn't have to deal with the hassle or worry of leaving it on the street. I really enjoyed my 1 night stay I wish it was longer. You may want to consider ear plugs however, the walls are thin and no good if your neighbor is loud.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S T
There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed 29 February 2012

This place is located right in the Pearl District so it puts your right in the action. The room was clean and comfortable but truly the decor is very dated. It is what keeps Portland WEIRD!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was my second stay in the historic hotel. The rooms are nice, beds comfortable, everything clean. The front staff is exceptionally cordial and helpful. They gave me great restaurant recommendations, took care of my outgoing mail, and arranged for my transport. The latte/chai tea/hot cocoa machine in the lobby is available around the clock, and produces some pretty good drinks. I enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast. Fairly standard fare: yogurt, danishes, bagels 'n cream cheese, toast 'n jam, cold cereal, milk, orange juice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was our third visit to the hotel. We come for a four day stay once a year and do some shopping in Portland.
We like the Mark Spencer because they have larger rooms available that are set up like small apartments. They have a seperate living-room, kitchen and bedroom. A breakfast is included as well as appies and wine in the afternoon.
The staff have always been so helpful with any or our questions and concerns, and we recognize one or two of them each year we're there.
I've recommended the Mark Spencer to all of our friends and there is nowhere else that we'd consider staying.
We'll be back next year, thank you guys!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MartinCrosbie
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I spent the night at the Mark Spencer Hotel in Portland last Friday night and it was an enjoyable stay. When I'd booked the room a few weeks earlier I'd requested a quiet room on the highest floor possible and upon check-in the front desk staff, without having to be prompted, gave us a room on the top floor at the end of the hallway which was...perfect!

The room itself was comfortable and retro-hip with a full kitchen that had a push-button stove-top that looked to be straight out of 1962. The bed was comfortable, the heat/AC quiet and efficient, and there were extra pillows and a blanket in the full-size closet. The shower had a shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispenser which reduces the environmental impact nicely.

With an efficient and pleasant staff and clean quiet accomodations under its roof and all of Portland at its doorstep, I'd recommend the Mark Spencer hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eighty8da
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This place is cool.Located within walking distance to everything.
Quiet,great beds.The best thing is you can negotiate your room rate..
Pfftt where else can you do that.?
Staff was great...

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 16 February 2012

What a delightful surprise! My girlfriend and I checked in at the hotel only to find no record of a reservation change that I had made. But...no problem! We were given an upgraded room, the only one available, and it was very comfortable. The service remained at that level for our stay. Everyone did more than expected to make us feel welcome and to meet our needs. We enjoyed the tea and cookies, wine, and the "more than continental" breakfast as well. But what made the Spencer our hotel in Portland for future visits? The location...Kenny and Zuke's delicatessen is across the street on the corner (see review), the Powell's bookstore around the corner, and the River Walk a long but very doable walk "just down the block". Thanks to the Spencer staff we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends