See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 12, 2013

East of Seaside beach awaits just the smallest corner of hell, rife with salmon-scented sheets, and just the tiniest pinch of shame. Welcome to the Mariner.

Our stay began with what one might consider to be a state of confusion. There were three rooms, each with just enough room for a bed, which was convenient because that's all they contained. Complimented by broken a.c., a broken television, broken windows, a sinkless bathroom, and clothes from the previous patrons, it could be safely said that we had found a "rent by the hour" land of leisure.

As the evening continued, a return from the beach required use of the shower. As the shower gingerly began to drissle luke warm water to the plastic tiles below, it could be seen that the shower curtain did not reach the floor. Instead, a cool breeze caught me by suprise and the curtain began flowing delicately in the wind, sending a draft my way that felt a lot like Christmas.

In the night, one is subject to the delightful noises of miscreant drug dealings, some of which go very wrong. And if that doesn't suit you, your neighbors will certainly keep you up with their delightful conversations about life, love, and Nascar statistics on the stoop next door. Most the renters live there, so stoop-talk is gauranteed.

The next morning, continental breakfast is a simple cup of black coffee. So if you're John Wayne or just seem to like the taste of chalk, you're on easy street.
Make sure to set your alarm early though, breakfast ends at 9.

My advice, gather your belongings and head elsewhere. Equivalent prices and sanitary rooms await you.

• Stayed: June 2013
18  Thank filthygorgeous12
Reviewed July 6, 2013

this was the worst hotel I've been to. The beds felt like we were sleeping on boards. there was no give in the mattress. the shower didn't even work and this for $95. the room was very musty smelling. there was no screens on the windows then when we tried to open it the window fell in our hands.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank retta1973
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Last minute trip to Seaside brought me to the Mariner as there were no rooms available anywhere else. Quick and friendly check-in sent us to room #5 which was very clean, and freshly painted. The bathroom was pretty small, but there was a microwave and fridge in the room. The beds were comfortable and we had a quiet night as we heard no noise from neighbors or the street. The pool was in use and looked to be in good shape as well. Short walk to Broadway Street and down to the promenade. Not a bad place at all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RPS080
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Overall the place wasn't bad, it was clean and within walking distance to downtown, and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. The walls are a bit thin and you can hear some of the stuff in the neighbouring rooms but it's kinda muffled. The room has a small microwave and a good size fridge but no coffee maker (coffee available at the office, but no hot water for tea), but it had a VCR for movies which I thought was odd since there were no VHS movies available. But I prefered this place over the Motel 6 which I stayed at last time through Seaside.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was good for parents with kid, had 1 double bed and a twin bed in a separate area in a mini room by the bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Superstar_044
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in a lot of hotels...some resorts, some not so nice. This was the absolute worst room either of us had ever stayed it. We drove to Seaside with our one year old daughter on a whim and ended up spending too much time at the beach so we decided to spend the night. We tried every other hotel/motel in Seaside but everything was booked. The Mariner was the only place that still had any rooms. That probably should have been our first warning.

I will say that the woman on the phone was very friendly and gave us great directions. Aside from that, everything else was well below good motel standards. We paid $107 for the room and was told that was with a special discount they were running for the night. The room was disgusting...very unsanitary. It smelled musty and moldy. The dresser was missing a drawer. Don't even get me started on the bathroom...I didn't even take a shower in the morning because the tub was so dirty.

The worst part was the bed. We didn't totally realize this until the sheets popped off in the middle of the night and revealed some terrible stain on the mattress. Honestly, it looked like someone had been murdered on the mattress. I have never felt so gross in my life!

The walls are also paper thin - we heard our neighbors up watching crappy television all night. None of us slept well at all...for more reason than one. Although I didn't see any, I was convinced the room had bedbugs or roaches, waiting to get us.

We weren't expecting anything great for our stay. We realized that our last minute plans might result in a less than stellar hotel. But honestly, I would never, ever stay there again. Not without a hazmat suit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family