“Bad odor negated nice room”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tillamook
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The room had 2 sinks, one in a separate food prep area and would have been a nice room but for the strong B.O odor emanating from the carpet by the window. We opened the windows to air it out but it didn't help. Even my husband, who has allergies and not a strong sense of smell, could tell. The strong odor ruined the room for us.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Judy F,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to know which room you stayed in so we could look further into this. It sounds like something may have been spilled in a specific area that we can address. The strong smell would have been very distracting. I apologize that your stay was not up to expectations.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

I booked a "Mini King Suite" and was given a double queen, there was hair on the shower wall, crumbs on the chair at the desk and when I pulled the side table out to plug in my charger, there was stuff (paper stuff) back there-leading me to believe that housekeeping doesn't check there either. It felt so dirty in there that I ended up going to Fred Meyers across the street and buying a blanket to wrap up in in order to sleep on top of the bed (covered ithe pillows with the blanket too). When I went to check out, I told them about not getting the room I booked and asked that they credit me back the difference. She didn't apologize or anything and just said "there's no difference in price between a double queen and a king." That's it. Really dirty + Bad service = Me not coming back. Ever.

The good was the location to the Tillamook Cheese Factory and to Fred Meyers. Gas and restaurant on site too.

As for the restaurant, the food was ok, however the hostess paid no attention to me when I came in until someone else told me she'd be right with me. Then she tried to sit me at a dirty table. Thank goodness she apologized and moved to the clean table by the window, but why would that not have been the first place to see me? AND, why did she not notice that it was dirty. Pay attention sweetie. The servers were great and the food good, so I WOULD go back there,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Dear brooklyn0125,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. The things you found in your room have been reviewed with our head housekeeper with instructions to look through each room to address these issues. What you found is not usual in our rooms and I’m confident that if you were to stay again your experience would be different. I apologize that you did not get the room type you had booked. While both rooms are priced the same, I understand that your expectations of a king bed were not met.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

It was a wonderful value considering cost and service. Suite was clean and very quite with great view of the mountains. Pool and hot tub were clean and very enjoyable. Staff was helpful and courteous. I saw a man carefully folded and arranged towels for guests at the pool. Another man carefully tested the water chemicals and temperature in the pool and hot tub at least twice a day. The two mornings free breakfasts at the restaurant were great; the waitress recommended rye breakfast toast which was wonderful; I gave her a silver pen and a tip. The salmon dinner was good value and good taste.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us in Tillamook. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our 24 hour pool and hot tub. The complimentary breakfast is a very popular amenity. I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Comfortable, clean, quiet, but our room was an ex-smokers room, and thus when the AC ran a distinctive odor greeted us when we opened the door. Luckily, we like fresh air, so we just opened the window and turned it off. Rest of the room odorless. You get a free b-fast of limited but adequate choices at the connected restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Tillamook Shilo. I am glad to hear that you found your room comfortable, clean, and quiet. I am sorry that the AC smelled of smoke. If you would be willing to contact us and let us know what room you stayed in we could address that unit and fix it. Again, thank you for relating your experience and I hope we will see you again.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

The hotel is looking old and overpriced room is not really suite. Just adding a kitchen sink and microwave to a regular room wouldn't make it suite.
The good thing that staff were very friendly.
The worst thing was a restaurant. I read other reviews about cleanliness and the nice atmosphere there but in our experience it was opposite. Dirty tables and walls make it very unpleasant. The waiting time is not acceptable. I have been waiting 1 hour to get my eggs and potato for a breakfast. No toast as toaster was broken and the restaurant "professionals" don't know any other way to toast a bread without a dedicated toaster. My 6 y.o. son makes it perfectly in an oven LOL.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vick36

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Shilo Inn – Tillamook. I am sorry that your room was not up to expectations. However am very glad to hear staff was very friendly. It is very important to us that we treat people as we would want to be treated.
As for your concerns with the restaurant, I have forwarded your review to our restaurant manager. These reviews, both positive and negative, are one of the best tools we have to improve on our performance. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband, dog, and I stayed here in early August 2011. We got their last room available and it was a "suite". Must've been a joke because it was a basic motel room with a small kitchen sink and two burner stove. The worst thing was the shower head. We travel quite a bit, and I've never stayed anywhere that was well over $100 per night that had such a poor excuse for a showerhead. I'm guessing it was a water conservation head, but it took me about 30 minutes just to get the shampoo out of my hair. This room was extremely overpriced for what you received. And who ever heard of a pet room being on the second floor? Very inconvenient. When I mentioned it to the front desk gal at checkout, she rudely didn't seem to care so I asked for the manager's name. Also, when we had the complimentary breakfast of eggs, toast, and potatoes, we were told the toaster just broke and there wasn't any toast. They should have offered us bread at least, or run across the street to the Fred Meyer store to buy a new one. No compensation or apology was made. I strongly recommend that you look elsewhere for a better lodging value in Tillamook. I know they're out there...gotta be!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ediegretchen

Thank you for relating your experience at the Shilo Inn in Tillamook. It sounds like there was a faulty shower head in that room. Most comments we receive about the water pressure is that it is stronger than most other motels. As for the pet rooms, you are correct that pet rooms are generally on the first floor, as they are here. You state that you got our last available room. It sounds like an exception was made to get you a room rather than turning you away due to no first floor rooms being available for a pet. The front desk person should definitely have responded more positively to your concerns. I apologize for that. We strive to always be helpful.
I am sorry that your restaurant experience was also not up to your expectations. I have forwarded your review to our restaurant manager. We use these review to help us improve in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

My family and I stayed in three seperate rooms...each one was gross. There were spider webs, missing grout in the showers, dirty looking tubs, mold on the faucets, very old looking decor and old squeeky beds. My brother's room had a comforter with a tear in it. The floors were dirty and the rooms smelled so bad! We booked two nights and ended up leaving after the first. It was horrible. Having just come from a nice hotel in Lincoln City, this place was a dump! I don't know who wrote the other reviews, but they are false! This is a very old looking hotel and way over priced for what you get. It should be in the 30-40 dollar range! There were very little choices for places to eat in this town as well.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.