“It has loyal fans”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed April 29, 2018

I really wanted to love the Bloomsburg Diner. it has loyal fans and community. It has people who insist on eating there whenever they're in town. I have accompanied them, but i have never gone there on my own. It's a greasy spoon for them that likes that sort of thing. The grease is not just on the spoons. It hangs heavy in the air. Some of the booths are kinda tight to squeeze into. That said, the mushroom omelette I had there was excellent. The coffee was good, too. Lots of people swear by this place. I'm just not one of them.

Reviewed December 17, 2017 via mobile

I rolled in here for a quick breakfast as I was passing through town. The hostess wanted me to sit at the counter on a stool but I asked for a little table. Begrudgingly she allowed me to shoehorn into a tiny little table in the corner and I was happy with that. The waitress was right out with coffee and water and I got a very good sausage and cheese omelet with excellent home fries and rye toast.

I noticed that I was the only non-local in the place and I was treated as such. They were very warm and inviting to their local crowd but treated me as though I had three heads. The only thing that really bothered me were the three waitresses constantly on their smartphones behind the counter. I suppose for me it shows a lack of respect to their customers and to the business at hand.

But I was in and out of there in 25 minutes with a decent breakfast and I certainly don't need to make any friends in Bloomsburg.

1  Thank Checkmate75
Reviewed November 11, 2017 via mobile

Never came to this establishment until today, and never intend to return! Drove over an hour to meet with friends here for breakfast. We were all coming from different areas out of town. When 3 of us arrived, we tried to tell the hostess/server walking by us at the door that we have a group of possibly 8, that will be arriving within the next 20 minutes. She seemed annoyed and said well you’ll just have to wait for them to get here, we can’t hold any tables for you. I said that’s fine, and then she pulled this ridiculous red velvet rope (one that you would see at maybe a casino) across the entryway to the diner. So instead of offering us to sit at a counter seat and have coffee, we stood in this small entryway blocking the door to get in. We decided to venture out onto main st to see if we could find coffee somewhere. Upon returning, once our whole party arrived, the same rude server sat us at one long booth and another short one behind it. We then asked if we could just have one chair and all sit together at the one long booth. The server, obviously annoyed and completely rude said no, we don’t do that here. When asked why, she retorted in a sarcastic way as if we were idiots, “because I won’t be able to serve you?”, then walked away. We all immediately decided they obviously did not want our business and left. None of us had ever been there before. We had no idea what to expect. First impression for me? It severely needs to be cleaned, the velvet rope at the doorway is a joke, service is an even bigger joke! For these reasons, never tried the food, did have the grimy menu in my hand, but thank god we all had the same impression and found somewhere else. Went to Smitty’s across the street. They were more than willing to accommodate!

1  Thank Brenda K
Reviewed November 9, 2017

We stopped in on a whim based on other reviews. This is a small town diner type restaurant with a counter and stools as well as tables. Seems popular with the locals which is always a good sign. We arrived for lunch but you could still have breakfast; not sure if it is served anytime? Service was quick and the food was better than expected. I enjoyed a chocolate shake with my meal that I didn't have high hopes for but actually had tremendous flavor. I would stop here again. Oddity: they only take cash but there is an ATM on site.

My requirements for ambiance and cleanliness are not as high as many so I will put this out there for others: the place does look a little tired and while not 'dirty' it could use a bit more cleaning. Tables, floors, plates, etc were all clean but black, water stained ceiling tiles in the restroom and streaky glass windows may be a turn-off to some. It's a diner, not fine dining.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

The good is very good. Service was excellant! The burgers was great. Really good desserts. Worth the trip.

Been to Bloomsburg Diner? Share your experiences!